Author Topic: Some changes afoot  (Read 18636 times)

Scott6

Re: Some changes afoot
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »
As a voting member of the 2009 ELCA Churchwide Assembly, I found Pastor Johnson's daily reports to be valuable and accurate summaries of the proceedings.  So, if older threads are deleted, I ask that those threads be archived somehow for their historical value.

Yes, I think that the convention threads have considerable historical value and should be preserved at all costs.  And I do admit to some personal bias...  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:07:25 PM by Scott Yakimow »

David M. Frye, OblSB

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • WideSky.biz
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2010, 04:15:10 PM »
Is the storage issue one concerning the amount of actual server space allocated to the forum, or does the software running the forum have an absolute limit on the quantity of information it can handle or the number of distinct posts it can reference? Or does the response time when searching have anything to do with the desire to trim the size of the forum?

It's hard to avoid data-hoarding when hard drive space is running $60/T or so. It is so much cheaper to buy more space than it is to spend time in any kind of data-pruning as opposed to data-clearcutting, if I can use an arborist's image, reminiscent of laying the axe to the root of the tree.
David M. Frye, OblSB

+ Ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus.
+ That God may be glorified in all things.

Voelker

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »
Is the storage issue one concerning the amount of actual server space allocated to the forum, or does the software running the forum have an absolute limit on the quantity of information it can handle or the number of distinct posts it can reference? Or does the response time when searching have anything to do with the desire to trim the size of the forum?

It's hard to avoid data-hoarding when hard drive space is running $60/T or so. It is so much cheaper to buy more space than it is to spend time in any kind of data-pruning as opposed to data-clearcutting, if I can use an arborist's image, reminiscent of laying the axe to the root of the tree.

Most webhosts give scads of space these days, and as this is a text-based forum, which doesn't allow much in the way of graphics (other than avatars), I'm surprised that it's running up on space limits (though, as suggested above, it could be a limitation of the forum software). Has an upgrade of the forum software been contemplated? Version 2.0 of the Simple Machines Forum is on its way to being released.

iowakatie1981

« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2010, 04:41:38 PM »
I continue to accept every person on this board as a fellow Lutheran and a beloved child of God.

Even Fr. Slusser?   ;)

pr dtp

« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2010, 04:52:51 PM »
I continue to accept every person on this board as a fellow Lutheran and a beloved child of God.

Even Fr. Slusser?   ;)

Hey, the best Lutherans were baptised as catholics...

Pilgrim

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2010, 05:01:37 PM »
Hey, the best Lutherans were baptised as catholics...

Tim notes: Resembling that remark, I thank you!.  ;D
Pr. Tim Christ, STS

ptmccain

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2010, 05:04:39 PM »
I heard a rumor that Martin Luther used to be a Roman Catholic.

;D

olarmy02

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »

Even Fr. Slusser?   ;)

Brother Boris?
Rev. S.P. McMaughan
"there is no distinction between true and false interpretation of scripture without the formation of confession"  Sasse

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »

Even Fr. Slusser?   ;)

If I'm good enough for Lutherman, I should be good enough for you!

Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Jay

« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2010, 05:18:59 PM »
As a voting member of the 2009 ELCA Churchwide Assembly, I found Pastor Johnson's daily reports to be valuable and accurate summaries of the proceedings.  So, if older threads are deleted, I ask that those threads be archived somehow for their historical value.

Yes, I think that the convention threads have considerable historical value and should be preserved at all costs.  And I do admit to some personal bias...  ;) ;D

Yes - thank you again for your great LCMS reports from last summer.  I suspect that in a generation or two when religious history scholars are evaluating Lutheranism in America, the 2009 ELCA and 2010 LCMS assemblies will be regarded as critical moments in that history, so the preservation of your eyewitness accounts will be important.  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:20:40 PM by Jay »

Charles_Austin

« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2010, 05:22:57 PM »
I said:

Someone pokes:
Even Fr. Slusser?

I say:
Honorary Lutheran. Anonymous Lutheran. Lutheran-but-doesn't-know it Lutheran. And if the JDDJ works, a real Lutheran. But with a pope in Rome.  ;D ;D ;) 

pr dtp

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2010, 06:01:11 PM »
I said:

Someone pokes:
Even Fr. Slusser?

I say:
Honorary Lutheran. Anonymous Lutheran. Lutheran-but-doesn't-know it Lutheran. And if the JDDJ works, a real Lutheran. But with a pope in Rome.  ;D ;D ;) 

What was that you said, Dcs. Schave, about an inability for some to admit they are wrong and apologize?   ::)

Mike

Mike,
One of the advantages of being "current" is that you are never wrong.  What you said 10 minutes ago or 100 years ago may be considered wrong now - but when it was written, it was the truth.

revjagow

• Proverbs 9:8-9
    • View Profile
    • Article 7
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »
I'm down with whatever changes come. 

I can't think of anything I posted that should be kept in perpetuity (but I can think of several things I would be happy to see move on to cyber pergatory).

To counter what was posted earlier re: anonymous people who post - as long as they contribute to the conversation, I say they are welcome.  Those who abuse their anonymity to play cyber games should not be welcome (a fine line I am happy to leave to the moderators).  To that end, I think that any post that "out"s an anonymous poster against his/her wishes should be deleted by the moderators. 

Overall, I am really happy with this board and much to everyone's chagrin, plan to keep checking in.  God's blessings!

Soli Deo Gloria!

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2010, 07:51:01 PM »
One of the main areas where we should cut down on posts is in posts about other posters--and some of those who do that most are posters who are themselves targets of posts about them and their obvious shortcomings. If the shortcomings are obvious, why waste your time and ours pointing them out? Not naming any names, because then it would be about . . . .

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

JMerrell

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2010, 09:31:43 PM »
Peter,

Is the issue with the database?  If so, might I recommend that you contact your host company (unless someone is doing it privately) and see how much it costs to bump your space to unlimited.  Also, are their personal files stored on the website that you no longer need?  Some hosts have a limit on the number of files, not on the db size.  Getting rid of extra themes for the forums can really free up a lot of space.  I run a website that has 3 db's, all unlimited.  However, my host has a file limit.  The kicker is that the files can be any size.  The cost is about $150 a year for the domain and space.  Send me a PM if you want details...in my previous life I ran my own website company, which paid my way through seminary.  Now I do it for fun for a few friends.  I have lots of contacts that you might could use.

-Judson