Author Topic: ELCA Considering New Procedures for Congregations Considering Leaving the ELCA  (Read 31829 times)

Maryland Brian

So this has been around for at least the last few years.  These are the sorts of things that make it difficult to make the case for remaining ...

I don't doubt that you were told this. Did they give a basis for their position that the changes made at the CWA applied to a congregation that had not incorporated the changes into the congregational constitution?

The Secretary of the ELCA gave them the basis for their position.

Needless to say, our church council leaders were not happy.  It's all part of the continuing conversation around why stay.  At our next council meeting I will share the proposed changes.  I can assure you they won't go over well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 08:26:26 AM by BHHughes »

Charles_Austin

So, Pastor Hughes, you think again that you are probably leaving the ELCA?

FrPeters

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
Perhaps Charles would agree that posters on topics related primarily to one church body should identity their affiliation and then the moderators could decide whether or not the posters would be allowed to address content outside their Lutheran (or other) affiliation... thereby reducing the issue Charles has raised and, by a significant amount, reducing the number of posts we might all have to keep up with on this forum...
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/

Maryland Brian

So, Pastor Hughes, you think again that you are probably leaving the ELCA?

Happy to see me go, eh?

Charles_Austin

Pastor Hughes writes:
Happy to see me go, eh?

I respond:
Actually, I'm totally indifferent to whether you go or stay.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Pastor Hughes writes:
Happy to see me go, eh?

I respond:

I think it's your whining about how bad the ELCA is that we would like to see go.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

ptmccain

Perhaps Charles would agree that posters on topics related primarily to one church body should identity their affiliation and then the moderators could decide whether or not the posters would be allowed to address content outside their Lutheran (or other) affiliation... thereby reducing the issue Charles has raised and, by a significant amount, reducing the number of posts we might all have to keep up with on this forum...

The ALPB prides itself, rightly so, on being a pan-Lutheran organization free of church control, as they state on the home page of this forum. For anyone to suggest that any topic is "off limits" to those in church bodies not directly and immediately impacted by the issue at hand is simply totally contrary to the spirit of the ALPB.

If Charles Austin wants to offer his opinions on any matter concerning The LCMS, then I say, more power to him. We have nothing to fear in hearing from others not of our communion. Why he should get so upset when others not of his communion offer their views on matters ELCA is quite beyond my ability to understand.

The chief positive aspect of the ALPB forum is unhindered sharing of opinions and views.

Maryland Brian

Pastor Hughes writes:
Happy to see me go, eh?

I respond:

Ha ha ha ha ... Then why do keep showing me the door?  Oh man, it would be irritating if it wasn't do damn funny.

Maryland Brian

Pastor Hughes writes:
Happy to see me go, eh?

I respond:

I think it's your whining about how bad the ELCA is that we would like to see go.

Ah yes, the voice that equates confessional Lutherans with hard-hearted Pharisees speaks again with the imperial "we."

FrPeters

• An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
In case anyone missed it, I was being sarcastic in my previous post. . . :-\
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/

A Catholic Lutheran

Pastor Hughes writes:
Happy to see me go, eh?

I respond:

Are we voting?  Because I have some things I'd like to see go...  And one's named Brian, but his last name's not Hughes.

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

dkeener

Pastor Hughes writes:
Happy to see me go, eh?

I respond:

I'm not - I know Brian pretty well and know that he has a lot to offer any denomination that is smart enough to use and appreciate his gifts.

Charles_Austin

Gifts or not, I am indifferent regarding Pastor Hughes and membership in the ELCA. But he is among those of whom I ask myself: Given what he believes about the ELCA, how can he stay in?

dkeener

Gifts or not, I am indifferent regarding Pastor Hughes and membership in the ELCA. But he is among those of whom I ask myself: Given what he believes about the ELCA, how can he stay in?

My guess is that he cares about the people God called him to serve.

Maryland Brian

My guess is that he cares about the people God called him to serve.

People being more important than collapsing institutions ...