Author Topic: Help Topic  (Read 4128 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Help Topic
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2010, 12:07:27 PM »
Crucifixes are most definitely making a major "come back" in The LCMS, as well they should.

No doubt! The crucifix is deeply offensive to our human nature. Part of us certainly wants to look away, ban the corpus, or smash it in anger. Some of the reformers thought they were doing this out of obedience to the law, they may have misunderstood their own impulses. Likewise, some people in our churches now are shocked and offended, but not for the reasons they suppose. By contrast, the empty cross is a mere symbol, no more offensive than a crescent or a star of David.

A pastor friend has a large crucifix hanging prominently over his altar. He was visited in his sanctuary by the local rabbi, a very nice guy. The rabbi pointed at Christ on the cross and said: "you know, I really like you guys. But that is offensive!"

When the gory, naked, grotesque, violent horror of the cross is transformed into the most beautiful thing you have ever laid eyes on and the very focus of your hope and salvation, a miracle has truly occurred!

The crucifix in the chapel of the residence where I live has leaves and fruit carved in relief on all the visible wood of the cross. It is the Tree of Life, from which we were barred but which is in the City of God (Rev. 22:22). We know what it looks like, and can eat already of its holy fruit.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Weedon

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »
Father,

Here is what our chancel looks like.  It's rather typical for our area: 

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_p2IxctEryHc/S64046bYgaI/AAAAAAAACSI/mY0QpOyc6Hw/s1600/chasubleback2.jpg

Matt

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »
I think your chancel is very much atypical in its beauty!

A picture is worth a thousand words. I can tell from it exactly what Sunday the picture was taken. The chasuble matches the paraments and both appear to be of excellent workmanship. Same with the woodwork. Candles are not lit but the communion elements are in place so I'm thinking this was taken before worship. Besides, its hard to imagine Fr. Weedon allowing a photographer in the chancel during the Divine Service!

From what we can see, the chancel is not particularly ornate or spectacular and uses imagery and symbolism that was typical of LCMS churches that were built before about 1950.

I would judge from this picture that this is a "liturgical" church. Also, that this congregation puts a high value on liturgical expression since fine vestments and paraments are not cheap. Some Lutherans will object to this as ostentatious and katolisch, such an objection will tell you much about the theology of the person making it.

Fr. Slusser: I would very much like to see a photograph of the crucifix you describe, it sounds like a wonderful piece of devotional art.

Weedon

« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
The vestments and paraments are the work of the wondrous D. K. Brunner and Son, from whom every Church and pastor who desires traditional material should purchase.  She's incredibly inexpensive and the workmanship is outstanding.  Google!

It was the Saturday before Palm Sunday, of course, and yes, the altar was already prepared.  My dear colleague, Pr. Gleason, and his wife Cindy are giving to the Church the matching veils for our sets.  They should be here by Christmas, I think!   And yes, the chancel (the Church itself) is quite plain over all.  It sports several images of our Lord, though, in addition to the statue and crucifix; also the four evangelists; and we're waiting for St. Paul - he should be here by Christmas too!  He'll be on the south wall towards the chancel.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:38:11 PM by Weedon »

George Erdner

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2010, 08:54:49 PM »
The vestments and paraments are the work of the wondrous D. K. Brunner and Son, from whom every Church and pastor who desires traditional material should purchase.  She's incredibly inexpensive and the workmanship is outstanding.  Google!

It was the Saturday before Palm Sunday, of course, and yes, the altar was already prepared.  My dear colleague, Pr. Gleason, and his wife Cindy are giving to the Church the matching veils for our sets.  They should be here by Christmas, I think!   And yes, the chancel (the Church itself) is quite plain over all.  It sports several images of our Lord, though, in addition to the statue and crucifix; also the four evangelists; and we're waiting for St. Paul - he should be here by Christmas too!  He'll be on the south wall towards the chancel.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Lutheran altar that hadn't been moved away from the back wall.

When I was shooting Christians and doing pulpit supply, I only encountered one Lutheran church that had a Good Friday Crucifix instead of an empty Easter Cross above the altar. It was a former AELC congregation. I have seen more than a few stained glass windows in Lutheran churches that depicted the image of the Risen Lord, and a smaller number of churches that had other depictions of Jesus in Gethsemane, on the cross, or at some other point in His life on side windows. As a kid, I was taught that was because we Lutherans were "Easter people", and that the most important thing about the cross was that it was the symbol of death defeated.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:21:39 AM by George Erdner »

Steven Tibbetts

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2010, 04:54:22 PM »
I can't remember the last time I saw a Lutheran altar that hadn't been moved away from the back wall.

Something to remember.
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

George Erdner

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »

Something to remember.

I never saw that one in person.