Author Topic: Unity and the Means of Grace  (Read 30176 times)

Team Hesse

Re: Unity and the Means of Grace
« Reply #300 on: November 27, 2010, 01:48:14 PM »
A "church" of one is also untenable. Fallen human beings seeing through the glass darkly probably can't come to a clear consensus-- I would hazard a guess that's one of the reasons we need a Redeemer.

I have no doubt that disunity in the church is a result of the fall. God has given us perfect scriptures that express perfect doctrine around which we can build the perfect church. But in our sinful state, we are incapable of coming to agreement. Yet Christ demands and prays for a unified church. Christians who disagree on many things yearn together for unity.

The practical question is, at what level do we work for unity? Doctrinal agreement in the local congregation is relatively easy, especially since there are no barriers to a person leaving a church she disagrees with for one that is a better fit with her beliefs. Many of us are members of churches wherein the members are in agreement and at peace with one another.

At the highest level, I don't think that agreement will ever be reached among all of the the Roman, Eastern, Lutheran and various Protestant Christians until Christ returns and personally leads His true church. I think it is a waste of time to work for unity at this level and is much more likely to lead to arrangements that sacrifice true and clear doctrine for a superficial unity (JDDJ).

At an intermediate level, I am hopeful that agreement is possible at the level of the LCMS and church bodies that are in full fellowship with her. The LCMS has known this kind of unity before (during her period of greatest growth) but it does not exist now. I think it is worth it to work for unity at the level of the LCMS.

Key to this is the idea that communion together should confess complete agreement in doctrine. This understanding provides much of the motivation for our efforts to hammer out agreement around the true scriptural understanding on any topic. I think this is a great strength of the LCMS and something that distinguishes us from the ELCA, among others.

I hope you don't really confess what I have highlighted-- it is my understanding of the Lutheran Confessional position that building the Church is the work of the Holy Spirit. But I could be wrong.....

Lou

pr dtp

« Reply #301 on: November 27, 2010, 01:49:04 PM »
Mr. Jamison,

I would disagree with the notion that if your congregation does not use female readers it thereby confesses that it is contrary to God's Word to use them.  My own parish does not use them; but I'm not personally convinced that it is sinful to use them, and I suspect my parish would be rather divided on the question were it put to them.  But the parish simply prefers to have the reading done by pastors (or seminarians), so it never comes up.

So then what do you do with those who insist you cannot use them, and admonish and condemn you if you do, or if you don't agree to condemn those of us who do?

Weedon

« Reply #302 on: November 27, 2010, 01:56:44 PM »
We sit down together under the Word of God and seek to persuade each other.  What other option do we have?

pr dtp

« Reply #303 on: November 27, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »
We sit down together under the Word of God and seek to persuade each other.  What other option do we have?

At what point do you break off fellowship?

Weedon

« Reply #304 on: November 27, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
I've never read anyone address that any better than Henry Eyster Jacobs:

"So in the 16th century, when the organization of the Church was diverted from its proper sphere of teaching the saving doctrines of the Gospel, and the diocesan bishops refused to ordain men for the ministry in the congregations that protested against the corrupt teaching, there was no other alternative than for congregations to claim the power that belonged to them inherently and to repudiate the authority that repudiated God's Word.  But otherwise a break with the organization which had gradually grown through the centuries would have been wrong.  A schism occurs wherever there is a disruption of the Church's organization for any other reason that than of notorious impurity in the teaching that has prevailed and that has not been remedied after repeated and patient efforts to have it corrected."  Elements of Religion, p. 214

For both sides in these debates, the question that must be weighed is when has "notorious impurity in the teaching prevailed" and when have the limits been reached for "repeated and patient efforts" to correct it?  Individuals will most certainly disagree on when either has actually occurred and so some will draw a line quicker than others.  

Also, we ought always bear in mind Krauth's "pathway of error" in the Church - that it begins asking for toleration only, moves on to demand equality, and finally triumphs by demanding the extirpation of truth itself.  So error is always a serious matter in the Church and hopefully Christians always remember that.  One final point from Krauth also worth remembering:  the Church is responsible for no opinions which she has not expressed in her Symbols; the person who elevates the private writings and opinions of even the foremost theologians to the level of dogma has robbed the Church of her freedom.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:16:57 PM by Weedon »

pr dtp

« Reply #305 on: November 27, 2010, 02:20:36 PM »
I've never read anyone address that any better than Henry Eyster Jacobs:

"So in the 16th century, when the organization of the Church was diverted from its proper sphere of teaching the saving doctrines of the Gospel, and the diocesan bishops refused to ordain men for the ministry in the congregations that protested against the corrupt teaching, there was no other alternative than for congregations to claim the power that belonged to them inherently and to repudiate the authority that repudiated God's Word.  But otherwise a break with the organization which had gradually grown through the centuries would have been wrong.  A schism occurs wherever there is a disruption of the Church's organization for any other reason that than of notorious impurity in the teaching that has prevailed and that has not been remedied after repeated and patient efforts to have it corrected."  Elements of Religion, p. 214

For both sides in these debates, the question that must be weighed is when has "notorious impurity in the teaching prevailed" and when have the limits been reached for "repeated and patient efforts" to correct it?  Individuals will most certainly disagree on when either has actually occurred and so some will draw a line quicker than others.  

Also, we ought always bear in mind Krauth's "pathway of error" in the Church - that it begins asking for toleration only, moves on to demand equality, and finally triumphs by demanding the extirpation of truth itself.  So error is always a serious matter in the Church and hopefully Christians always remember that.  One final point from Krauth also worth remembering:  the Church is responsible for no opinions which she has not expressed in her Symbols; the person who elevates the private writings and opinions of even the foremost theologians to the level of dogma has robbed the Church of her freedom.

So if someone draws the line - and you are on the other side of it - what then?  Do you honor their view, or do you ignore it and discount it?

And do you see the ACELC in view of your citation of the private writing of Krauth?

pr dtp

« Reply #306 on: November 27, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »
Just came across an interesting quote....

The unity of the Lutheran Church can come only if our churches return to the diligent use of the means of grace, to a serious study of the Word of God and the confessions of the Reformation.  Hermann Sasse (LW II, 265)

Weedon

« Reply #307 on: November 27, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »
DTP,

We DISCUSS it; in humility and with love.  God may well grant us a way forward through the convicting power of His Word.  

I think the AECLC's documents are fine to discuss.  I do not agree with them in their entirety.  But they clearly touch things that trouble some in our fellowship, so let's discuss them.  

If I were part of a group where we examined the question of lectors, for instance, I would be coming to the table thinking that this is something I do not think the Lutheran Church ought have any binding doctrine on for I do not see how such can be derived from Scripture nor is it addressed anywhere in the Lutheran Symbols.  I therefore put it under the category of those things about which the Church may freely arrange as she sees fit, provided it is done in a way that avoids all frivolity, and that neither those who have nor those who have not lay readers ought condemn one another for lack of uniformity in what is admittedly a humanly instituted ceremony.  I certainly know that others think differently.  I am willing to sit with them at table to talk it over.  You are too, right?

Weedon

« Reply #308 on: November 27, 2010, 02:27:33 PM »
The use of the Sasse quote is ironic given his own refusal to commune in his own Australian Lutheran Church at one time...

Sandra

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Baptizatus sum.
    • View Profile
    • Baptizatus Sum
« Reply #309 on: November 27, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »
The use of the Sasse quote is ironic given his own refusal to commune in his own Australian Lutheran Church at one time...

Maybe diligent use of the means of grace means actually applying them to ourselves - examining ourselves and repenting of sin, and receiving absolution...rather than using the Lord's Supper as a magical tool to make everyone suddenly play nicely together.
Sandra (Ostapowich) Madden
sandramadden1119@gmail.com

Weedon

« Reply #310 on: November 27, 2010, 03:18:35 PM »
Bingo, Deaconess.  Bingo!

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #311 on: November 27, 2010, 03:19:01 PM »
Didn't Krauth get that from Alexander Pope, Pr. W?  "first pitied/then endured/and then embraced?"  A guy way, way later wrote about that couplet in a short story on the topic of homosexuality.  Ernest Hemingway.  There's Krauth, stuck in the middle again.

I think J/S's point is more serious than that, Sandra, in that he's indicating the fellowship in which the pastors already exist, the Missouri Synod, is a location locally and in its wider Eucharistic celebrations, where the means of grace are already available in all their humble glory in with and under Word, water, bread and wine for the same reasons you mention.  "Everyone suddenly playing nicely together" is in the real world never possible, which is why we, God's people, return for forgiveness and strength to the Altar behind our common confession of faith.  If the common confession of faith is uncommon, or non-existent, it needs to be demonstrated, and as Pr. W indicates contain a highly serious set of doctrinal circumstances before the Altar is foresworn.  Does the Sacrament accomplish that which Jesus indicates it does - "for the forgiveness of sins?"  Why would each penitent not be there for that same reason?

Dave Benke

Weedon

« Reply #312 on: November 27, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »
Bishop,

I think Sister Ostapowich's point, though, is that rather than busying myself glancing over at my brother to make sure he's being properly repentant and receiving the forgiveness of sins, I, the sinner, first look at myself.  Then after I have seen clearly my own desperate need, I might be of some use to the Lord in helping out a brother.  So refraining from being judgmental about those who choose not to commune outside of their parishes has a place among us - and we should perhaps refrain from presuming we know WHY a given brother is or is not at the Table on a given occasion, no?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:34:38 PM by Weedon »

Sandra

• Baptizatus sum.
    • View Profile
    • Baptizatus Sum
« Reply #313 on: November 27, 2010, 04:07:01 PM »
Didn't Krauth get that from Alexander Pope, Pr. W?  "first pitied/then endured/and then embraced?"  A guy way, way later wrote about that couplet in a short story on the topic of homosexuality.  Ernest Hemingway.  There's Krauth, stuck in the middle again.

I think J/S's point is more serious than that, Sandra, in that he's indicating the fellowship in which the pastors already exist, the Missouri Synod, is a location locally and in its wider Eucharistic celebrations, where the means of grace are already available in all their humble glory in with and under Word, water, bread and wine for the same reasons you mention.  "Everyone suddenly playing nicely together" is in the real world never possible, which is why we, God's people, return for forgiveness and strength to the Altar behind our common confession of faith.  

Pastor,

I understand that his point is more serious than that and am somewhat familiar with the situation he describes. That there is such a situation is disappointing, and clearly there needs to be more deep soul-searching than prideful chest-thumping to come together even to discuss the differences. Does that need to be publicly displayed in an extra-congregational communion of the Lord's Supper? Truthfully, I don't know. Can the Lord's Supper unite people? Of course. But like many other things with our faith - is unity an effect of what happens when the faithful are receiving forgiveness for their sins...or is it something that we can create, or at least "help" along, simply by doing the thing that creates unity?

The Missouri Synod is, in and of itself, something of an anomaly that doesn't fit in to the normal denominational "church" category. It is an association of independent congregations who have unity in specific areas. So while there is a certain amount of fellowship and unity by being a member of the LCMS, it is not quite the same kind of fellowship and unity one would expect (or demand) in a single, local congregation. There is a little more "wiggle room" for differences. The question at hand is how much wiggle room there is. That's a law question, which requires a law answer - and so we spend entirely too much time splitting hairs over unnecessary things and getting our vestments in a bunch gossiping about who's doing what wrong around the Synod while our own flocks continue to be cluelessly batted around by the latest church fads and doctrines. And that can (and does) go on ad infinitum.

If the common confession of faith is uncommon, or non-existent, it needs to be demonstrated, and as Pr. W indicates contain a highly serious set of doctrinal circumstances before the Altar is foresworn.  Does the Sacrament accomplish that which Jesus indicates it does - "for the forgiveness of sins?"

Does the Sacrament accomplish that which Jesus indicates it does? Absolutely. Does that mean we should use it to accomplish a certain end? Not so sure.

Why would each penitent not be there for that same reason?
Now pastor, you know the answer to that question. :)
Sandra (Ostapowich) Madden
sandramadden1119@gmail.com

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #314 on: November 27, 2010, 04:18:46 PM »
I see where you're coming from, Pr. W., I think.  In a local congregation occasionally there is someone who will not receive the Sacrament, and will speak to me about it afterward.  It's not the concern of others, although as the pastor it is a concern of mine.

The Sacrament does not "create unity."  What it does accomplish is the forgiveness of sins and strength in the reception of the Body and Blood of Christ by all who receive trusting in these words, "Given and shed for you."  To me those are very powerful reasons to be at the altar when the Sacrament is celebrated in a setting in whose fellowship I reside, whatever differentiation is made between local and other-than-local altar/sponsorship.

More to the point, if someone absents herself from our gathering on Sunday for a period of time, God's people contact the person and say something simple like, "We miss you - how are you?"  That's not busybodying, that's concern for a fellow member of our local body.  And if it's something at a certain level, I get involved for pastoral contact/care.  Likewise the person/pastor who IS attending the Eucharist is not busybodying per se if he reaches out to the one not attending and says, "We miss you - how are you?"  In some cases, the bishop might then be involved. 

Dave Benke