Author Topic: ALPB History  (Read 2434 times)

prsauer

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
ALPB History
« on: November 17, 2010, 12:20:19 PM »
I am frequently asked what the ALPB is all about. A thread on this message board equates the ALPB with everything from Schmuckerism to the statement of the 44. Historian Alan Grabner (who would later write: Uncertain Saints: The Laity in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod 1900-1970.) wrote a 5 part history of the ALPB in celebration of its 50th anniversary in 1964. It documents the important role (for better or worse, depending on your perspective) that the ALPB played in shaping American Lutheranism in its early days. Reading through it again is a great reminder of how far the Missouri Synod (and American Lutheranism) has come in the past century. I have posted a pdf of the essay, which originally appeared in the 1963 American Lutheran (published by the ALPB and predecessor to Lutheran Forum) to Lutheranforum.org.

http://lutheranforum.org/extras/ALPB_History/

Paul Sauer
Associate Editor, Lutheran Forum
ALPB Board member

James_Gale

• View Profile
Re: ALPB History
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »
I am frequently asked what the ALPB is all about. A thread on this message board equates the ALPB with everything from Schmuckerism to the statement of the 44. Historian Alan Grabner (who would later write: Uncertain Saints: The Laity in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod 1900-1970.) wrote a 5 part history of the ALPB in celebration of its 50th anniversary in 1964. It documents the important role (for better or worse, depending on your perspective) that the ALPB played in shaping American Lutheranism in its early days. Reading through it again is a great reminder of how far the Missouri Synod (and American Lutheranism) has come in the past century. I have posted a pdf of the essay, which originally appeared in the 1963 American Lutheran (published by the ALPB and predecessor to Lutheran Forum) to Lutheranforum.org.

http://lutheranforum.org/extras/ALPB_History/

Paul Sauer
Associate Editor, Lutheran Forum
ALPB Board member

The link is not working for me.  Are others having any problems?

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:42:25 PM »
The link is not working for me.  Are others having any problems?

Jim, I'll email you a copy.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

ptmccain

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 03:23:43 PM »
I heard that the ALPB is responsible for global warming, the poor state of the economy and for the high price of oil.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:55:15 PM by ptmccain »

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 03:54:03 PM »
I heard that the ALPB is responsible ... and for the high pricep of oil.

...especially that.
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Steverem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 03:59:31 PM »
Aha!  So ALPB is actually the Stonecutters Lodge?

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »
FYI:

Alan Graebner wrote the first three articles. Al Klauser is the author of sections four and five.

Reading the ALPB history may take time, but it will provide valuable insight into the men who founded the ALPB.

(Added trivia, Graebner was a Valpo classmate.)

Marie Meyer

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
Aha!  So ALPB is actually the Stonecutters Lodge?
Yes, but you can tell we're struggling by our inability to keep Steve Gutenberg in the Hollywood limelight.