Author Topic: Why Zion?  (Read 4639 times)

wgross

• ALPB Forum Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Why Zion?
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2010, 06:17:22 PM »
This may be a bit fanciful, but I think that "Zion" may have been a popular name for congregations founded by immigrants, particularly Germans, because the congregations provided both a reminder of their lost homeland ('we sat by the waters of Babylon and wept when we remembered thee, O Zion') and also represented their hopes for their life in the Promised Land (Zion) of the New World. This makes sense only if, of course, I am correct in assuming that the word "Zion" is used in the German version of the Scripture that I have loosely quoted above. In a book that I published about the challenges to prohibitions against the teaching of German that led to the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark case in Meyer v. Nebraska (1923), I began with a description of Zion Lutheran Church in Hampton, Nebraska, the congregation of the teacher who generated the case, and I stated that "the Germans who originally settled in this region of southeastern Nebraska had little beyond the church to connect them to civilization. For them, the church provided both a vital reminder of their European heritage and a portal to their future as Americans. Zion was at once the lost homeland over which they wept and the promised land to which they had come."

William G. Ross
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:40:29 PM by wgross »

FrPeters

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2010, 07:16:54 PM »
Funny, the EUB heritage congregation is First United Methodist here in Clarksville, TN ???
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2010, 07:45:01 PM »
because the congregations provided both a reminder of their lost homeland ('we sat by the waters of Babylon and wept when we remembered thee, O Zion') and also represented their hopes for their life in the Promised Land (Zion) of the New World.

William G. Ross
I like it! That feels very plausible!

# Psalmen 137,1: An den Wassern zu Babel saßen wir und weinten, wenn wir an Zion gedachten. (Luther-Bibel 1912).

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:56:52 PM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

J.L. Precup

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »
I was pastor of La Iglesia Luterana del Buen Pastor (Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd) in Mexico City.  Nothing exceptional to the name of that congregation, but it was always humorous on Saturdays when US tourists would phone asking for directions to the church to be able to attend worship, and invariably ask to speak with Pastor Buen.   ;)
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »
Funny, the EUB heritage congregation is First United Methodist here in Clarksville, TN ???

The "no First Church" rule may have been something unique to the Central Pennsylvania (now Susquehanna) Conference.

I was only 6 years old at the time.

I knew we had to choose a new name, I knew why we had to choose a new name, and I knew that I didn't particularly care for the new name that had been chosen, because I thought it sounded like "cavalry".
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015