Author Topic: Digging Deeper  (Read 14185 times)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: Digging Deeper
« Reply #240 on: November 17, 2010, 07:18:14 PM »
But when he invites us to pray, "Our Father," he invites us to pray with him; he invites us into the relationship that he has with the Father.

As I read your reply, I wonder whether you are saying he is basically saying the following: "You may use 'Father," as a title. But in using that 'title,' you do not share a relationship with the one addressed in the same way that I share a unique relationship with that one."

Not your second comment, but your first one. The Son of the Father is the way that we have a relationship with the Father as his children. "No one comes to the Father, except by me" (John 14:6). I think "father" in that verse, rather than "God" is quite significant.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

TravisW

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 17, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »
Some times when you dig deeper, you find the buried treasure.  Other times, you just wind up with a really deep outhouse pit. 

LCMS87

« Reply #242 on: November 17, 2010, 10:07:18 PM »
But when he invites us to pray, "Our Father," he invites us to pray with him; he invites us into the relationship that he has with the Father.

Hmmm. . . interesting. I've not heard that before; what's the source of that interpretation? . . .

A completely different source, but very much the same teaching can be found in John W. Kleinig's book:  Grace upon Grace, Spirituality for Today.  It comes in his discussion of The Mystery of Prayer, beginning on p. 151.  If you've not seen the book, it's one that's worth reading and re-reading.