Author Topic: Up to 18,000 leave Lutheran Church over statements on gay current affairs progra  (Read 3312 times)

SKPeterson

Final comment. Lutherans in Finland recently elected a woman bishop who approves same sex unions, over a man who did not.

I also note that the new bishop is only the bishop of Helsinki and not all of Finland.  The vote total was 591 to 567, so she got 51% of the vote.  I'd be interested to find out if this is reflective of actual member sentiment at the local level, or a manifestation of how the process worked in the ELCA, where the majority of the people are/were opposed but a majority of the voters at the national assembly were for it.

ptmccain

Update on Finnish Mission Province
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »
Speaking of Finland, more good news on the Mission Province ....

Here is a link to the ordination of several new pastors.

http://simonpotamos.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/mission-province-ordination-video-and-more-pictures/

And here is an encouraging/inspiring story about one of the young men:

http://simonpotamos.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/history-being-made-pastor-eero-pihlava/

Here is what he said about his experiences, the English is a bit rough, but much easier to read, at least for me, than Finnish.

"When I started my seminary studies in England, my parents gave me Bible as a present with the following verse written on the first page of it: “Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.” (1 Tim 4:16) Eternity is at hand in the office, salvation, that of the pastor and his hearers.
     "A few days before my ordination the verse makes me grateful as it reminds me of all my good teachers and pastors who have taught me the Gospel. I am grateful for my parents, fellow christians, seminary colleagues and the faculty of Westfield House (ELCE, Cambridge) who have nurtured and supported me thus far on my call to study God’s word for the eternal benefit of His congregation. I am also in great debt for brothers and sisters in US (LCMS, Friends of Westfield House) who have supported generously my studies and our church in Finland. I have been kept on close watch and good teaching.
    "The verse reminds me also of the coming weight of responsibility on my shoulders. Teaching and living the gospel of Christ is more easily said than done. When our neighbours eternal salvation is said to be connected with our activities a fear starts to creep in. Am I fit for the office? Our personal abilities may be measured in money, achievements, long working hours, diligent study etc. However, when we are dealing with eternity and once in a life time events like death, baptism and for some ordination, measures for our worthiness become secondary or even useless. It is here where Christ’s work begins. It is he who gives eternal hope for the dying. It is he who sealed us in baptism with his name for eternity. It is he and he only who is “the teaching” of ordained ministers. “Persist in this,” Paul says and “you will save both yourself and your hearers”.
     "Persisting on apostolic faith has not received public popularity in our Finnish context. However Christ has continued to serve his congregations in Finland through “the teaching” despite of these opinions. It is this reality of the church’s faith which gives me courage to enter the office with joy and excitement. Living Jesus Christ will save me and my hearers."

Charles_Austin

If you are asking me, yes.

pbnorth3

My comments do not relate so much to the Church in Finland, which no one here knows very well, but to the dynamics of "The Topic."

1. Someone reads about people leaving the Church in Finland because of the sexuality controversy and leaps to the conclusion that they are leaving because the church accepts gays and lesbians as clergy.
2. Someone is wrong, having not read the whole article.
3. Comments fly, suggesting that it doesn't matter because those folks probably didn't attend church anyway
4. This humble correspondent, not accepting that conclusion, asks about "pastoral concern" for those people.
5. Then after some chitter-chatter I - in another vain attempt at whimsy - suggest that maybe the ELCA should send someone over there to create pro-gay bishops for those people. (This harks back [a curious phrase, right? 'Harks back'. But there it is.] to the African bishop who butted into the Church of Finland an attempted to illicitly consecrate an anti-gay bishop for a group that opposes the policies of that church.)Hard to keep things straight in some of these threads, isn't it.
Final comment. Lutherans in Finland recently elected a woman bishop who approves same sex unions, over a man who did not.

Thank God for orthodox bishops who butt in and care for the sheep. Like Athanasius did, as did others.

Peace in the Lord Jesus Christ!
Rob Buechler

Vern

We received our latest Church news letter today and it had reported that the blessing of homosexual unions was discussed but tabled. I sent an e-mail to the current president informing him that if they support this issue I would transfer out after 70+ years at the Church.

Vernon Jorgensen

LutherMan

LutherMan

Poll: Most Finns want Lutheran Church to be more tolerant toward gays
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »
http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Poll+Most+Finns+want+Lutheran+Church+to+be+more+tolerant+toward+gays/1135261330716
Poll: Most Finns want Lutheran Church to be more tolerant toward gays
Vicar notes he can bless two Buddhists or a school but not two Christians of the same gender

A more liberal policy will soon be adopted in the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church, says Seppo Sarlin, a candidate in the Parish Council elections in Puotila in the east of Helsinki.
      “I hope that at least all that talk about sin will stop now”, says Sarlin, 72, referring to the ongoing debate about the status of sexual minorities in the church.
      A majority of Finns appear to agree with Sarlin.

More than half of Finns would like to nudge the the church in a more tolerant direction in questions of sexual minorities, according to a poll commissioned by Helsingin Sanomat and conducted by Suomen Gallup.
      Just 23 per cent would take a more conservative view, supporting only unions between a man and a woman.
      What is clear is that there is only a relatively small group of people between the extremes who are satisfied with the status quo. Sixteen per cent of respondents felt that the current policy line of the church is good.
<snip>

Mike Bennett

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
If you are asking me, yes.

This is how the little Quote thingy works, in case anybody should care what the question was to which you are offering a Yes answer.
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22