Author Topic: Another LCMS Lawsuit?!?!  (Read 5682 times)

Charles_Austin

Re: Another LCMS Lawsuit?!?!
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
An adage in journalism: You say your mother loves ya'? Check it out!

I didn't follow and erred. Words fail to describe my sorrow. (But though the LC-MS wasn't "formed' yet, Martin Stephan was among the forefathers.) And yes, we all have much from which to recover.

Mel Harris

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2007, 07:10:46 PM »
Sheesh, by that logic, the ELCA has witch-burnings, the wars of the Reformation, the atrocities of the crusades, the Great Schism, and a whole host of much bigger problems to recover from....   

I imagine that it would not take long to find some members of our ELCA who think that we should apologize for each item listed.  So yes, that particular logic appears to be alive and kicking.

Mel Harris

Charles_Austin

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 08:57:21 PM »
Mel Harris writes, after the reference to witch-burnings, the wars of the Reformation, the atrocities of the crusades, the Great Schism and other problems:

I imagine that it would not take long to find some members of our ELCA who think that we should apologize for each item listed.  So yes, that particular logic appears to be alive and kicking.

I comment:
If you mean that today's Christians should be aware of the ways in which the faith has been perverted and misused in the past, and that we should be cognizant of that history and - as members of the whole church catholic, and heirs of our forebears of those times - repent and vow never to do those things again; yes, I would be among those members of the ELCA who think that we should, if not "apologize," at least repent of our failure to proclaim the love of God. Is that wrong?

scott3

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 09:14:29 PM »
...yes, I would be among those members of the ELCA who think that we should, if not "apologize," at least repent of our failure to proclaim the love of God. Is that wrong?

Sounds like you and Mel are reading from the same script as it seems he doesn't see the need to "apologize" for those either.  But as far as repenting "of our failure to proclaim the love of God," I'm sure Mel would be against that.  I mean, who'd want to proclaim the love of God when we got all that great law stuff to club others with, right?  After all, implying that repenting of witch burnings is rather unnecessary nowadays certainly means that he's against proclaiming the love of God.  Crystal clear connection, that one.  ::)