Author Topic: Voter's Guide for Serious Christians  (Read 10880 times)

George Erdner

Re: Voter's Guide for Serious Christians
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2010, 11:20:41 AM »
Richard writes:
Old English major Austin should weigh in here, but my opinion would be that it is not a complete sentence. It would have been a complete sentence had you changed the question mark to a period. Otherwise, you would need to add the word "do" to make it a complete sentence.

I weigh in:
Philosopher moderator Richard, like most decently educated folk, has it right.
"You favor nullification?" is not a complete sentence.
"You favor nullification." is a complete sentence.
It's something one learns, or should have learned in eighth-grade/middle school English classes.

CMA (Once an English Major always an English Major. Proud member of Garrison Keillor's P.O.E.M., the Profession Organization of English Majors.)

Ok, help me out here.  Why is the former not a sentence?  

Instead of pointless bickering over whether or not your puny little post was a complete sentence or not, why not answer the question I asked about it? What the hell did you mean by it?

To refresh your memory?

Does that pithy little telegram mean, "Do you favor nullification or not?", or does it mean, "So that means you favor nullification, right?"?

James_Gale

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:08 AM »
Richard writes:
Old English major Austin should weigh in here, but my opinion would be that it is not a complete sentence. It would have been a complete sentence had you changed the question mark to a period. Otherwise, you would need to add the word "do" to make it a complete sentence.

I weigh in:
Philosopher moderator Richard, like most decently educated folk, has it right.
"You favor nullification?" is not a complete sentence.
"You favor nullification." is a complete sentence.
It's something one learns, or should have learned in eighth-grade/middle school English classes.

CMA (Once an English Major always an English Major. Proud member of Garrison Keillor's P.O.E.M., the Profession Organization of English Majors.)

Ok, help me out here.  Why is the former not a sentence? 

Pastor Petty's construction is permissible.  

According to Section 6.66 of The Chicago Manual of Style (16th Edition), a question mark may be used "at the end of a declarative or imperative sentence in order to express surprise, disbelief, or uncertainty."  It gives this as an example: "This is your reply?"

Pastor Petty's response also is arguably a sentence.  After all, The Chicago Manual of Style says that a question mark may be used at the end of a "declarative or imperative sentence" (emphasis added).

In addition, Gardner's Modern American Usage -- a decidedly conservative usage guide -- notes that "incomplete" sentences can indeed be "sentences."  Incomplete sentences are also "fragments."  But when used judiciously -- when its meaning is clear -- an incomplete sentence may be used.  

The definitional discussions could go on for days, I suppose.  Wouldn't that be fun!  But in all events, whether or not Pr. Petty's -- uh -- sentence is a sentence, it is an example of proper usage.

(I express no opinion regarding any implications that might reasonably flow from the fact that The Chicago Manual of Style addresses this matter in Section 6.66.)

George Erdner

« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2010, 11:48:55 AM »

But what does it mean?

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2010, 11:53:51 AM »

But what does it mean?

I think it means they are ignoring you.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2010, 11:56:05 AM »

But what does it mean?

Whichever meaning he intended of the two possible meanings you suggested, your "Yes" would mean "Yes," and your "No" would mean "No."  So if you want to answer, then answer.  Why do you insist on torturing everybody by behaving like an ass a silly goose?

Mike Bennett
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:59:35 AM by Mike Bennett »
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2010, 12:05:56 PM »

But what does it mean?

Whichever meaning he intended of the two possible meanings you suggested, your "Yes" would mean "Yes," and your "No" would mean "No."  So if you want to answer, then answer.  Why do you insist on torturing everybody by behaving like an ass a silly goose?

Mike Bennett

Indeed.

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2010, 12:07:08 PM »
But then I was a philosophy major . .  .  ;D

Philosophy majors of the world, unite!  (After four years of college and a bachelor's degree, I didn't have a job...but at least I knew WHY.  ;))

Well, I didn't really have much of an education. But I new why--I went to a California state university. In seminary at Yale, I used to play a game that went like this: "I was a philosophy and religion major at a California state university. Your challenge is to name five philosophers I've actually read. One point for each one, and if you get to five, you win." Nobody ever won.

Bob Dylan?

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2010, 12:16:52 PM »
Is President Obama a Keynesian?  Watch this for some amusing responses from those whose sanity was restored over the weekend.

Kurt Weinelt

• Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2010, 12:26:44 PM »
Is President Obama a Keynesian?  Watch this for some amusing responses from those whose sanity was restored over the weekend.
;D ;D ;D I have GOT to work that into one of my economics classes!
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

Bergs

• Battle for truth, justice & the American way
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this.  This is the funniest yet.  The passion of the one woman displaying total stupidity was so precious, I almost cried.

Brian J. Bergs
Concordia College - Moorhead, Mn
B.A. 1980
Majors:  History, Economics
But let me tell Thee that now, today, people are more persuaded than ever that they have perfect freedom, yet they have brought their freedom to us and laid it humbly at our feet. But that has been our doing.
The Grand Inquisitor

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2010, 02:16:30 PM »

Absolutely amazing.  Funniest thing since I heard a guy maligned for the loosness of his family's morals, because of rumors that his wife had been a thespian and his daughter had matriculated.

Mike Bennett
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2010, 02:39:11 PM »
But then I was a philosophy major . .  .  ;D

Philosophy majors of the world, unite!  (After four years of college and a bachelor's degree, I didn't have a job...but at least I knew WHY.  ;))

Well, I didn't really have much of an education. But I new why--I went to a California state university. In seminary at Yale, I used to play a game that went like this: "I was a philosophy and religion major at a California state university. Your challenge is to name five philosophers I've actually read. One point for each one, and if you get to five, you win." Nobody ever won.

Bob Dylan?

Who reads Bob Dylan? He's for singing.  ;)
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »

They are certainly qualified to serve in Congress . . . 
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

George Erdner

« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2010, 03:05:58 PM »

But what does it mean?

Mike Bennett

Indeed.

I see. So jpetty acts like a jerk, and I get slammed for calling him on it.

Typical.

I can't answer for jpetty. Only he can. And he won't. So, if you're going to bitch kvetch about it, bitch kvetch at him.

jpetty

« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »

But what does it mean?

Mike Bennett

Indeed.

I see. So jpetty acts like a jerk, and I get slammed for calling him on it.

Typical.

I can't answer for jpetty. Only he can. And he won't. So, if you're going to bitch kvetch about it, bitch kvetch at him.

How was I a jerk?  I asked you a simple question.