Author Topic: Voter's Guide for Serious Christians  (Read 10884 times)

Kurt Weinelt

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders!
    • View Profile
Re: Voter's Guide for Serious Christians
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2010, 08:28:17 PM »
Not very much of it was Texas.  In fact, believe it or not, a good chunk of Colorado was actually in Kansas.  (Denver is named for a territorial Kansas governor.)  Kansas let them take the western counties, however, because the Kansas GOP legislature thought (mistakenly) that eastern CO had a lot of Democrats in it.
OK, what I meant was the part of Colorado WE like and visit frequently. I even had an assignment to teach history at the AFA all lined up when Saddam invaded Kuwait and ruined that (among other things).  We've been to E. Colorado and have met lots of nice folks there. Went through on a TLU choir tour in the late 1970s, enjoyed the hospitality.  But my family came from Germany and Austria, and being in hills/mountains is in my blood. So if we secede and re-establish the Republic, watch out. I already have a "Ski Texas" bumper sticker ready to go! ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:16:57 PM by Kurt Weinelt »
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

George Erdner

« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2010, 08:36:05 PM »

So is welfare illegal too?

That part paid by federal tax dollars.  Separation of powers (and responsibilites) and all that.  Welfare (or relief) is the realm of townships, cities, counties, and states.  And, of course, private charity.

Pax, Steven+

You favor nullification?

Does that pithy little telegram mean, "Do you favor nullification or not?", or does it mean, "So that means you favor nullification, right?"? When you're too lazy to actually express yourself in a complete sentence, it makes understanding what you actually mean difficult.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:05:21 PM by George Erdner »

jpetty

« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2010, 11:14:32 PM »

That part paid by federal tax dollars.  Separation of powers (and responsibilites) and all that.  Welfare (or relief) is the realm of townships, cities, counties, and states.  And, of course, private charity.

Pax, Steven+

You favor nullification?

Does that pithy little telegram mean, "Do you favor nullification or not?", or does it mean, "So that means you favor nullification, right?"? When you're too lazy to actually express yourself in a complete sentence, it makes understanding what you actually mean difficult.

"You favor nullification?" IS a complete sentence.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2010, 11:19:31 PM »
Old English major Austin should weigh in here, but my opinion would be that it is not a complete sentence. It would have been a complete sentence had you changed the question mark to a period. Otherwise, you would need to add the word "do" to make it a complete sentence.

But then I was a philosophy major . .  .  ;D
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

George Erdner

« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2010, 11:27:06 PM »

Pax, Steven+

You favor nullification?

"You favor nullification?" IS a complete sentence.

First, you are mistaken. But the important thing is that sentence or not, your pithy little telegram is ambiguous and unclear.

LutherMan

« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2010, 11:28:53 PM »
Ahhhh, that explains things....

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2010, 11:44:08 PM »
Well, not much . . .

Or a lot.

It just depends.   ???

LutherMan

« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2010, 11:48:43 PM »
Your pietisim.   ;)

Charles_Austin

« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2010, 06:07:34 AM »
Richard writes:
Old English major Austin should weigh in here, but my opinion would be that it is not a complete sentence. It would have been a complete sentence had you changed the question mark to a period. Otherwise, you would need to add the word "do" to make it a complete sentence.

I weigh in:
Philosopher moderator Richard, like most decently educated folk, has it right.
"You favor nullification?" is not a complete sentence.
"You favor nullification." is a complete sentence.
It's something one learns, or should have learned in eighth-grade/middle school English classes.

CMA (Once an English Major always an English Major. Proud member of Garrison Keillor's P.O.E.M., the Profession Organization of English Majors.)

FatherWilliam57

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2010, 07:48:29 AM »

Philosophy majors of the world, unite!  (After four years of college and a bachelor's degree, I didn't have a job...but at least I knew WHY.  ;))
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
Interim Pastor, St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Evans City, PA
"Put on the whole armor of God."

jpetty

« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2010, 10:28:46 AM »
Richard writes:

I weigh in:
It's something one learns, or should have learned in eighth-grade/middle school English classes.

CMA (Once an English Major always an English Major. Proud member of Garrison Keillor's P.O.E.M., the Profession Organization of English Majors.)

Ok, help me out here.  Why is the former not a sentence? 

DeHall

« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »
Richard writes:

I weigh in:

Ok, help me out here.  Why is the former not a sentence? 

IIRC, it's a "dependent clause"...It has a subject and verb, but doesn't express a complete thought.

Lutheranistic

« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2010, 10:45:07 AM »
Pr. Austin majored in Old English?

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2010, 11:13:15 AM »

Philosophy majors of the world, unite!  (After four years of college and a bachelor's degree, I didn't have a job...but at least I knew WHY.  ;))

Well, I didn't really have much of an education. But I new why--I went to a California state university. In seminary at Yale, I used to play a game that went like this: "I was a philosophy and religion major at a California state university. Your challenge is to name five philosophers I've actually read. One point for each one, and if you get to five, you win." Nobody ever won.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »
Pr. Austin majored in Old English?

Verily.