Author Topic: The Virus Keeps Spreading  (Read 6138 times)

Terry W Culler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
The Virus Keeps Spreading
« on: October 06, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »
I received a phone call yesterday from a friend who is a pastor in the Church of the Brethren.  He was looking for advice and insight because they are about to undergo what the ELCA has been through with respect to ordaining sexually active homosexuals.  Two years ago there was an organized effort to read a manifesto at their national conference which was rather poorly attended.  This year their conference was confronted again by those advocating change.  So now they're spending the next 9 months is "dialogue" which will be brought before next year's conference.  Any of that sound familiar?  We can only pray that the traditionalist Christians in the CoB can withstand this assault.
"No particular Church has ... a right to existence, except as it believes itself the most perfect from of Christianity, the form which of right, should and will be universal."
Charles Porterfield Krauth

LutherMan

Re: The Virus Keeps Spreading
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:57:04 AM »
Satan is harder at work within the churches, and people are giving in to the sin.

pbnorth3

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:16:11 AM »
I received a phone call yesterday from a friend who is a pastor in the Church of the Brethren.  He was looking for advice and insight because they are about to undergo what the ELCA has been through with respect to ordaining sexually active homosexuals.  Two years ago there was an organized effort to read a manifesto at their national conference which was rather poorly attended.  This year their conference was confronted again by those advocating change.  So now they're spending the next 9 months is "dialogue" which will be brought before next year's conference.  Any of that sound familiar?  We can only pray that the traditionalist Christians in the CoB can withstand this assault.

There is a congregation in Cando, North Dakota that broke away from the Church of the Brethren because of this. It is quite sad. As LutherMan said, the Evil One is certainly active and working in all this. The sifting of the Church is continuing. I take comfort in knowing that when all is over, the Church will still be standing.

Peace in the Lord Jesus Christ!
Rob Buechler

SmithL

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:52:21 AM »
Satan is harder at work within the churches, and people are giving in to the sin.

If Satan can get a church to accept sin and cause the faithful to leave, then he's won a twofer.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 12:06:06 PM »

Another interpretation is that the Spirit is hard at work within the churches, but some are unwilling to listen.
"The church ... had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

LCMS87

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 12:19:20 PM »
Would that be the minority or the majority through time who are unwilling to listen to the Spirit?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:00:28 PM by LCMS87 »

olarmy02

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:31:15 PM »

Another interpretation is that the Spirit is hard at work within the churches, but some are unwilling to listen.

::)
Rev. S.P. McMaughan
"there is no distinction between true and false interpretation of scripture without the formation of confession"  Sasse

Karl Hess

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 12:37:47 PM »
I don't think Satan wins if the faithful leave.  The churches that renounce Christianity will quickly become empty shells and die off over time.  But if the faithful remain in fellowship with apostates or heretics when it is clear there will be no repentance, their witness is compromised and their ability to resist Satan's lies is eroded.

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »
I don't think Satan wins if the faithful leave.  The churches that renounce Christianity will quickly become empty shells and die off over time.  But if the faithful remain in fellowship with apostates or heretics when it is clear there will be no repentance, their witness is compromised and their ability to resist Satan's lies is eroded.

Those faithful servants who wanted to remove the "weeds" from the fields, would also have destroyed the "wheat". Could it be that by separating themselves from the so-called "apostates or heretics" in the church, the "faithful" are, in fact, destroying the whole church?
"The church ... had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

olarmy02

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 02:38:12 PM »

Those faithful servants who wanted to remove the "weeds" from the fields, would also have destroyed the "wheat". Could it be that by separating themselves from the so-called "apostates or heretics" in the church, the "faithful" are, in fact, destroying the whole church?

*&%^# Pastor Stoffregen!  You made me spray Pepsi through my nose and onto my keyboard.  My sinuses are burning.  I did need that laugh though, thank you...for the keyboard clean-up not so much.
Rev. S.P. McMaughan
"there is no distinction between true and false interpretation of scripture without the formation of confession"  Sasse

George Erdner

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 02:46:57 PM »

When each one of faithful leaves the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, Satan wins on small victory. When each one of the faithful transfers from one man-made subdivision of the OHCA Church that has "gone rogue" and chosen to follow Satan instead of God to a different man-made subdivision of the OHCA Church that remains faithful to the teachings of God, Satan loses.

Transferring between different man-made subdivisions of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church is not "leaving" the Church. Denominations like the ELCA are not "the church", they are just a little piece of "the church".

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »

*&%^# Pastor Stoffregen!  You made me spray Pepsi through my nose and onto my keyboard.  My sinuses are burning.  I did need that laugh though, thank you...for the keyboard clean-up not so much.

I have a rule about not drinking near my computers. Glad I lifted your spirits. Sorry about the keyboard.

Terry W Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »
No person or group of people has the ability to destroy the Church, unless, of course, you think Jesus was wrong when He said the gates of hell could not prevail against the Church. 
"No particular Church has ... a right to existence, except as it believes itself the most perfect from of Christianity, the form which of right, should and will be universal."
Charles Porterfield Krauth

George Erdner

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »
No person or group of people has the ability to destroy the Church, unless, of course, you think Jesus was wrong when He said the gates of hell could not prevail against the Church. 

Does that mean that the church can't be damaged or dented a little from time to time? And if it can be damaged or dented, wouldn't God repair such damage and dents by calling His people to take corrective action?

Cnehring

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »

Oh, how simplistic and expected this is. But, sir, the problem is that you are regaling us with a part of Scripture dealing with election, not morality and the nature of faith (you know-fearing, loving and trusting God above all things, including yourself).

Perhaps those words of the Bible of separating yourself from those refusing to repent might be a bit more practical in this matter? I do recall Paul having some pretty harsh words and advice for the congregations to expel those who refuse, in the hope that they repent and stop their sin.