Author Topic: The Thread to Petition for the Early Release of Paul McCain from Time-Out  (Read 18632 times)

George Erdner

Re: The Thread to Petition for the Early Release of Paul McCain from Time-Out
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2010, 12:00:56 AM »
I wasn't talking about church directory photographers, Mr. Erdner. I was talking about photographers.

Gee, Chuck, I couldn't tell that from your post:

It was written:
Once, when being photographed for a magazine, the photographer needed to get his (Archbishop of Canterbury Michael Ramsey's) attention, and drew a total blank on correct protocol. The photographer ended up blurting out, "Er, uh, Archy!".

I comment:
This would be consistent with the keenness and savvy of most photographers I have known.

How was anyone to know from what you posted that you weren't including all photographers in your snarky little insult?

Or how about this little snarkfest of yours:

It's a low-rent thread of discussion anyway.
I have known dozens of photographers over the years. Many are quite skilled at their craft and some are really nice people.
But they are not folks you will run into at a Mensa meeting, or find leading a seminar at Oxford on Literature and Post-modern Existentialism, or setting a formal table and getting all the forks and spoons in the right places.  ;)

How was anyone to know that you were specifically excluding portrait photographers from the general category of photographers?

So tell me, Chuck, what makes you such an authority that you can divide portrait photographers from other photographers? Or that you can tell the difference between a portrait photographer who works for a church directory company and a portrait photographer who works for some other business? Are you implying that a portrait photographer who works for a church directory company isn't a real photographer? Is that more of your typical snark?

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2010, 12:32:32 AM »
All right, you two. Don't push me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:09:28 AM by Richard Johnson »
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

kls

« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2010, 07:20:31 AM »

Time-outs for everyone!  I'm thinking of sending myself to time-out, too.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:12:17 AM by Richard Johnson »

RevSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2010, 08:33:18 AM »
I respectfully disagree with the deaconess.  Time away can be a good thing.

And would you have the same "Time away can be a good thing" attitude if it were a certain journalist who has done just as much, heck far more, to warrant being put in time out as pastor McCain.
Pastor Steven M. Bliss LCMC and NALC-  St Olaf Lutheran Church, Bode, Iowa

New quote, got tired of questions about Dante quote...

"Doin stuff is overrated. Like Hitler did a lot of stuff but don't we all wish he would have just sat around all day and got stoned?"-Dex from the Tao of Steve

RevSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2010, 08:39:08 AM »
I don't even think this is a legitimate discussion. No matter who is getting punished, it is not up to us to second guess the moderators of the forum. They are the moderators. We are not.

And as I was told by one of said moderators when I requested that they speak to a certain journalist about some extremely offensive things that he said to me (far more offensive than anything I have seen Pastor McCain write BTW), this is an open forum. When you come here you are opening yourself to affirmation and criticism from all people. Should that not also apply to the actions of the moderators?? Do we not have a right to question the wisdom of someone who has been given the highly esteemed title of forum moderator??
Pastor Steven M. Bliss LCMC and NALC-  St Olaf Lutheran Church, Bode, Iowa

New quote, got tired of questions about Dante quote...

"Doin stuff is overrated. Like Hitler did a lot of stuff but don't we all wish he would have just sat around all day and got stoned?"-Dex from the Tao of Steve

vicarbob

« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2010, 08:57:12 AM »
I placed myself in exile for a short time .
this is what I have come back too, two, to  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

George Erdner

« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2010, 09:16:53 AM »
Though I have no intention of giving myself a time-out, I will be leaving in a few minutes to drive to Pittsburgh for a funeral, as my sister-in-law died on Saturday. My access to the internet will be meager at best while I'm in Pittsburgh.

kls

« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2010, 09:22:23 AM »
I discovered last night that when I became a little too dependent on that "Modify" option for comments, it's probably time to take a break.  I personally am not a pietist, I take Luther at his word consistently to "sin boldly", but when we begin to be a poor witness because we lose patience, don't take time to carefully select our words or simply don't believe we SHOULD carefully select our words, what's the point of having the conversation?  It just drives us all further away from that common ground we might ultimately find (even if that common ground is only a sliver) when we bully, badger and consistently use negativity to make our point known.  When it's done in such a public forum, we risk missing the point of what Matthew 18 gets at.  It has been a very uplifting experience to see some of you so humbly repent of your comments on here when you realize you may have gone too far with them.  It has served as a great example to me to be sure.  

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:27:17 AM by Kim Schave »

kls

« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
Though I have no intention of giving myself a time-out, I will be leaving in a few minutes to drive to Pittsburgh for a funeral, as my sister-in-law died on Saturday. My access to the internet will be meager at best while I'm in Pittsburgh.
Please accept my condolences, George.  I pray safe travels for you and will also include your family in my prayers.

Samuel_Zumwalt

« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »
I regularly observe a self-imposed time-out. I find it ridiculous how often some post. Quite seriously, I suggested last year that when a poster reaches 10,000 posts, he should be given an automatic six-month (or was it a year?) time-out. I consider my suggestion to be a type of intervention for posters clearly addicted to seeing their every thought on-line. Have you no self-awareness, if not shame?

One more time, Luther said that pastors were like manure. Spread them around and they do some good. Get them together and they create a stink.

It's a beautiful day in coastal North Carolina. I have a busy day. I think I'll pray a while.

Enjoy your time-out, Paul. Doubtless you have more important things to do than post on this board.

Peace and joy, ya'll!

kls

« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2010, 09:53:05 AM »
I regularly observe a self-imposed time-out. I find it ridiculous how often some post. Quite seriously, I suggested last year that when a poster reaches 10,000 posts, he should be given an automatic six-month (or was it a year?) time-out. I consider my suggestion to be a type of intervention for posters clearly addicted to seeing their every thought on-line. Have you no self-awareness, if not shame?

One more time, Luther said that pastors were like manure. Spread them around and they do some good. Get them together and they create a stink.

It's a beautiful day in coastal North Carolina. I have a busy day. I think I'll pray a while.

Enjoy your time-out, Paul. Doubtless you have more important things to do than post on this board.

Peace and joy, ya'll!

Now THAT was hilarious.  Thanks for the Monday morning laugh and the sage advice.   :D

LutherMan

« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »

And would you have the same "Time away can be a good thing" attitude if it were a certain journalist who has done just as much, heck far more, to warrant being put in time out as pastor McCain.
He was given a time out earlier this summer.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2010, 10:11:15 AM »
Do we not have a right to question the wisdom of someone who has been given the highly esteemed title of forum moderator??

Only if you are the one who has granted the title.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2010, 11:21:36 AM »
I'm curious, Charles.

Which television character do you identify with more:

Jonathan Quayle Higgins III from Magnum P.I.

or

Charles Emerson Winchester III from M*A*S*H* ?

I keep switching back and forth between which voice to "hear" when I read your posts, and I can't decide.

Eddie Haskell from Leave it to Beaver?   ;D

Mike Bennett
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

GoCubsGo

« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2010, 12:08:21 PM »
Do we not have a right to question the wisdom of someone who has been given the highly esteemed title of forum moderator??

Only if you are the one who has granted the title.

Perhaps there should be a system of rolling time outs for all members of the forum.  Something like, at every 250 posts one is given a week off.  Of course some here we accumulate weeks of time off after only one day.