Author Topic: The Thread to Petition for the Early Release of Paul McCain from Time-Out  (Read 18631 times)

James_Gale

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: The Thread to Petition for the Early Release of Paul McCain from Time-Out
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »
I suggest that we permit the moderators to moderate.  Otherwise, we'll end up arguing about people and motives even more than usual. 

GoCubsGo

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 11:14:48 AM »
Here (this Forum) the moderators are like God.  ;) They will have mercy upon those they wish to have mercy upon.  My comments were stated with light-hearted intent only.  I'll defer to their wisdom as to when, where and how long posters can post.  (Lest the judgment of the moderators fall upon me.) :(

I would suggest though that a youtube campaign may be effective, especially if we can get it to go "viral."  ;D

James Gustafson

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 11:25:32 AM »
I signed the petition because its good to call for mercy, if I were a Mod I would treat this petition in the same manner I would treat a petition from high schoolers to end all homework.  

Ah, isn't that nice.  Then I would take a picture for posterities sake and ignore it completely.    ;)

totaliter vivens

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 11:55:57 AM »
I observe that the plea has yet to garner support from across the aisle.

SPS

Charles_Austin

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »
Richard writes:
This is all cute, but strained, which we know the quality of mercy isn't. 

I comment:
A fine, three-way pun on the word, "strained," as used by the Bard and as is often mis-understood in interpreting Portia's speech. Congratualtions, Richard. I award you a 24-hour title of "Honorary English Major."

George Erdner

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 12:23:48 PM »
No comment.

kls

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »
I hope I've proven a point that we shouldn't be using foul language or telling people to shut up without being called on the table for those actions, either.  We can and should treat each other respectfully here and elsewhere.  You know it's quite likely not just our "own" reading our comments on this forum.  We could very well be providing a witness to those contemplating what this Lutheranism thing is all about.  I'm just saying . . .

It appears my dream of becoming a bail bondsman must be shelved for the time being.  Let's hope Bishop Barbie can work her pink magic on our brother while he serves out the remainder of his sentence.

I figured if there could be frivolous football threads, what could the harm be in starting this thread.   :)

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 01:18:21 PM »
The other option is to get to St. Louis and see and speak with Paul in person, which I did recently, over beer and brats at the bluegrass festival following the Presidential installation.  Plus, I got a copy of the Reader's Edition of Walther's Law and Gospel (English), although not from him.  If the Reader's Edition could be printed in Spanish (the non-reader's edition already is) as well as Korean and Bengali, one urban parish would be blessed.  Probably a remarkably limited market in Bengali, I'm thinking.  

And I saw Paul across a crowded room on some enchanted morning as Matt Harrison's staff was installed at the International Center Chapel.  Chanted Matins by the new Prexy and viola/trumpet by one of the new staff's children.  Cool, with the exception that us every Sunday every service Eucharistic types have not used matins in awhile - ok, decades.  So I only have the Te Deum in King James as per TLH.  And it's better in KJV anyway, from this singing thereof.

Dave Benke

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 01:22:28 PM »
TLH Matins and LSB Matins...now that's what I call diversity!  It took me a couple of times to adjust to the LSB Te Deum.  (We are not {yet} an every service Communion congregation, so we do Matins from time to time on Sundays, and a few of us pray it before Bible class during the week.)

But to the thread, it appears from pictures that Rev. McCain is making much of his time off.  So perhaps there is some serendipity in this. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

kls

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »
But to the thread, it appears from pictures that Rev. McCain is making much of his time off.  So perhaps there is some serendipity in this.  

Point well taken.  I won't let the guilt from my lack of success keep me down then.   :P  I will wait with baited BATED (for you compulsive speller types) breath to see how he makes his grand re-entrance onto the forum.  I wonder if we could at least have a count down provided so we know how many days he has left in purgatory, uh, I mean time-out?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:44:35 PM by Kim Schave »

kls

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 02:02:56 PM »
Thanks Mike.  You can be the official counter . . . perhaps you'd even be willing to post the revised number each day.  I think each day we could also speculate about what he is doing, too.  Somewhere along the lines of . . .

Day 24:  For lunch, he was served bread and water.
Day 23:  He was able to go out into the courtyard to shoot some hoops.
Day 22:  He was thrown into solitary for starting a fight with the prison librarian for not carrying CPH materials.
Day 21:  Released from solitary confinement after Bishop Barbie intervened on his behalf with the warden.  It was rumored that she offered to redecorate in shades of pink in exchange since it is a calming color to the inmates.

What do you think?   ;)  I think the moderators are going to send me to time-out, too, if I don't stop the madness.  I hope everyone realizes this is all in fun!  I'm quite sure he is learning his lesson and will come back and play nicely with the neighbor kids.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 02:06:20 PM »
Deaconess Kim writes:
I won't let the guilt from my lack of success keep me down then.
I comment:
If lack of "success" in having your words win "victories" in this forum brings you guilt, better get ready for a heavy load.

Deaconess Kim writes:
I will wait with baited breath to see how he makes his grand re-entrance onto the forum.
I comment:
Ah, that is "bated breath," as in "abated" breath, if one is adopting the usual "Merchant of Venice" usage and not caving to crass, intemperate, almost illiterate modernisms.  ;D :)

Deaconess Kim  writes:
I wonder if we could at least have a count down provided so we know how many days he has left in purgatory, uh, I mean time-out?
I mean:
Please, by all that is merciful and holy, no.

racin_jason

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 02:21:01 PM »
I'm curious, Charles.

Which television character do you identify with more:

Jonathan Quayle Higgins III from Magnum P.I.

or

Charles Emerson Winchester III from M*A*S*H* ?

I keep switching back and forth between which voice to "hear" when I read your posts, and I can't decide.
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

kls

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 02:23:29 PM »
If lack of "success" in having your words win "victories" in this forum brings you guilt, better get ready for a heavy load.

1 Corinthians 15:57
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Out of curiosity, what do you do for fun, Pastor Austin?

I just had fun looking up all the definitions for bait realizing my typo and cracked up over this definition for bait.  I allowed my mind to wander:  "a poisoned lure used in exterminating pests".   Still love you in Christ!   ;D

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »
If the Reader's Edition could be printed in Spanish (the non-reader's edition already is) as well as Korean and Bengali, one urban parish would be blessed.

I think I know what this means.  But you have to admit that it sounds a bit funny to speak of a "non-reader's" edition of a book.