Author Topic: Christianity Today on Lutheran CORE meeting  (Read 4655 times)

jebutler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Christianity Today on Lutheran CORE meeting
« on: September 08, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »
Christianity Today's editor in chief, David Neff, was at the Lutheran CORE meeting in Columbus. His report was posted to their website this morning.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2010/septemberweb-only/46-31.0.html

Hope you enjoy reading it.
The truth we preach is not an abstract thing. The truth is a Person. The goodness we preach is not an ideal quality. The goodness is Someone who is good. The love we preach is God himself in Christ. --H. Grady Davis

Keith Falk

• View Profile
Re: Christianity Today on Lutheran CORE meeting
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:59:20 PM »
The article is a fairly good summary of the presenters.  I would note that the article is about the Theological Conference, as opposed to the Lutheran CORE Convocation or the NALC Constituting events.
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
Christianity Today's editor in chief, David Neff, was at the Lutheran CORE meeting in Columbus. His report was posted to their website this morning.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2010/septemberweb-only/46-31.0.html

Hope you enjoy reading it.

As I said in my cover e-mail to my pastor, a friend, my wife, and two brothers,  it's a much better summary than my poor notes, and quicker than listening to the audio files at the Lutheran CORE web site.

Mike Bennett
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

G.Edward

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:10:24 AM »
That quotation sums up the way the Lutheran movement began: as a demand for the church to operate under Scriptural authority. 

So we're right back where we started 500 years ago!  ::)

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:32:27 PM »
Jim:

Thanks for calling the CT article to our attention. I hope others in the LCMS read it.

Marie

Edward Engelbrecht

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
I'd like to know more about the following paragraph and what stands behind it, not trusting a reporter to get it right:

"Hultgren was eager to avoid both the ELCA's loose notion of biblical authority (which invests too much in the constantly culturally shifting mind of the community) and the Lutheran traditionalism of the Missouri Synod (rooted in a Lutheran orthodoxy that developed after Luther). We must forge a new path, he said."

By LCMS "traditionalism" and "orthodoxy" does he mean the Formula of Concord where the Scriptures are described as normative for doctrine and practice? Does this refer to something else?

Weedon

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 07:32:36 AM »
I suspect he is referring to the greater weight which the LCMS tends to give to the dogmatic tradition of Lutheran Orthodoxy. 

Edward Engelbrecht

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 07:40:49 AM »
I suspect he is referring to the greater weight which the LCMS tends to give to the dogmatic tradition of Lutheran Orthodoxy. 

Possibly, but a typical divide between Lutheran theologians in America has been over the place of the Formula of Concord. This has certainly been the case in the theological discussions with members of the ELCA. I am wondering whether it might still apply when theology is discussed with LCMC or NALC.

Weedon

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 07:45:42 AM »
Yes, I suppose there is that strain of Scandinavian suspicion regarding the Formula that is still alive and well in certain quarters of US Lutheranism.

Pilgrim

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:38:06 AM »

Tim Christ inquires: interesting question. I would be interested in reading more reflections and perceived distinctions in this regard.
Pr. Tim Christ, STS

Erma S. Wolf

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »

I would strongly suggest listening to the audio recording of Dr. Hultgren's presentation at the Lutheran CORE Theological Conference, which is available at this site (along with recordings of the other lectures as well):

http://www.lutherancore.org/papers/2010-theo-conf-audio.shtml

I was interested in getting the reaction of some of the LCMS attendees after Dr. Hultgren's lecture, because of his characterization of the LCMS position on the interpretation of Scripture.  Like them, I think it erred in placing the LCMS in the Biblical fundamentalist camp.  Nonetheless, Hultgren laid out a careful argument regarding the shortcomings of the historical critical method when used within the Church, and particularly within the ELCA, and he did it from the perspective of one who is unabashedly (as he put it) firmly within the camp of those using the historical critical method.  I definitely want to see his entire paper when it is published (by the ALPB within a few months!) to learn if his full position on Lutheran Orthodoxy is more nuanced than what was in his lecture. 

I am hopeful that this lecture lays the groundwork for new discussions and dialogue between LCMS Biblical scholars and those allied with Lutheran CORE, both in and out of the ELCA.  A willingness on the side of some in the ELCA to critique and disagree with the use of the Historical Critical method opens up common ground from which to talk about our differences.

Weedon

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 09:15:55 AM »
Erma,

Thanks for the link.  I'll look forward to checking that out.  I am always confused by those who place the LCMS approach to Scripture in a fundamentalist mode; seems an easy way of dispensing with conversation without actually engaging what the other person is saying.

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 09:35:37 AM »
When respected Lutherans outside the LCMS suggest the LCMS approach to Scripture leans in the direction of a fundamentalist mode it may mean one of two things.

It may mean they are not interested in meaning conversation with the LCMS.  It may also mean the LCMS needs to consider whether there is any truth to the claim.   Seeing ourselves the ways others see us often serves as a reality check.

Marie Meyer

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 10:21:08 AM »
When respected Lutherans outside the LCMS suggest the LCMS approach to Scripture leans in the direction of a fundamentalist mode it may mean one of two things.

It may mean they are not interested in meaning conversation with the LCMS.  It may also mean the LCMS needs to consider whether there is any truth to the claim.   Seeing ourselves the ways others see us often serves as a reality check.

Marie Meyer
It also may mean that the word is used because of associations. Maybe we ought to consider that if the LCMS approach to Scripture falls under the umbrella of fundamentalism (a big IF), that not everything under that umbrella is bad. Rather than wasting time arguing about whether our approach can rightly be called fundamentalist, as though the thing that matters is how we define fundamentalism, we should simply examine the methods on the merits, to see how they preserve and proclaim the faith once handed down. 

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I'll look forward to checking that out.  I am always confused by those who place the LCMS approach to Scripture in a fundamentalist mode; seems an easy way of dispensing with conversation without actually engaging what the other person is saying.

This same question came up last month in a thread on inerrancy At one point early in the discussion, in answer to

Quote from: jpetty on August 11, 2010, 01:02:05 PM
I'm interested in the distinction you draw between inerrancy and fundamentalism.  How do you see the difference?

I wrote,

That would be good to hear. It could be explained fairly directly by taking Section IV of A Statement of Scriptural and Confessional Principles
http://www.lcms.org/graphics/assets/media/LCMS/astatement.pdf and saying
     (1) what it asserts that fundamentalists would not assert and
     (2) what fundamentalists would assert that the Statement rejects.

I may mistakenly be taking LC--MS "inerrancy" too much in the way I have encountered it in fundamentalist texts. Others may suffer from the same confusion.

It seems to me that such an explanation would still help a lot to clear the air.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian