Author Topic: War of One Man Against Every Man  (Read 409 times)

Mike Bennett

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
War of One Man Against Every Man
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »
A teaser from a thought-provoking article:

"The author and commenters bristled at my critique. I bristled right back. The argument escalated. At one point, I said to myself, “All right, you want to play hardball, we’ll play hardball” — and I would have cut loose and said exactly what I wanted to say, except that at that moment my hands were shaking too violently for me to type accurately. I looked at my trembling fingers for a moment. Then I closed that browser tab and spent a few minutes removing all Anglican-related blogs from my bookmarks and my RSS reader. I stopped reading those blogs and have never looked at them again to this day. I don't think I’ve ever made a better decision."

The full article can be read at:

http://www.bigquestionsonline.com/columns/alan-jacobs/the-online-state-of-nature

Anybody here who hasn't experienced what Prof. Jacobs writes about?
Anybody here who hasn't experienced it right here at ALPB Forum Online?
Could this be a place where mercy and charity grow?
(By the way, I think this forum is far, far from the worst, which is why it's one of the few I still visit and even occasionally post to).

Mike Bennett

“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

Timotheus Verinus

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: War of One Man Against Every Man
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »
A teaser from a thought-provoking article:

"The author and commenters bristled at my critique. I bristled right back. The argument escalated. At one point, I said to myself, “All right, you want to play hardball, we’ll play hardball” — and I would have cut loose and said exactly what I wanted to say, except that at that moment my hands were shaking too violently for me to type accurately. I looked at my trembling fingers for a moment. Then I closed that browser tab and spent a few minutes removing all Anglican-related blogs from my bookmarks and my RSS reader. I stopped reading those blogs and have never looked at them again to this day. I don't think I’ve ever made a better decision."

The full article can be read at:

http://www.bigquestionsonline.com/columns/alan-jacobs/the-online-state-of-nature

Anybody here who hasn't experienced what Prof. Jacobs writes about?
Anybody here who hasn't experienced it right here at ALPB Forum Online?
Could this be a place where mercy and charity grow?
(By the way, I think this forum is far, far from the worst, which is why it's one of the few I still visit and even occasionally post to).

Mike Bennett

Great thread Mike, but I am going to have to think about it before (if ever :) ) I would provide anything profound.

A couple thoughts on your last about ALPB.

Agenda laden forums in my experience tend to be places where worn out, and not always well conceived, arguments are shared in a type of "yes we are right!" club house. It is rare that anything shows up there that changes a landscape.

What I have seen at ALPB, especially if including lurkers, there are several seriously influential participants here, and they tend to maintain examples of mercy and charity. (some shame me regularly with that charity) I think moderators do a good job of terminating interpersonal sidebars. The academic and experiential discussion also seems to be at a very high level. I have to check more than a few history references beyond Wikipedia before I'd  seriously seek to challenge Richard on a historical point. I might have to actually get out and read the Greek, check Voelz's Grammar before asking Scott to clarify. I have to actually dig out a reference I think I remember before asking William Weedon to consider a Liturgical point. I might have close friends who were "there in the halls," when something happened, and have told me what happened, but Paul and Marie WERE there.

Even so, if I say something stupid, most do not, as they could, ridicule, but gently remind and encourage to reconsideration.

There is a unique character to this forum IMHO.

TV
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:12:41 PM by TVerinus »
TAALC Pastor