Author Topic: Condoms, Politics, Republicans, and Facebook  (Read 1243 times)

Russ Saltzman

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Condoms, Politics, Republicans, and Facebook
« on: August 30, 2010, 10:31:24 AM »
At Facebook, Illinois 17th District Republican congressional candidate Bobby Schilling has 2,176 fans, while the I Bet this Condom Can Get More Fans than Bobby Schilling page has stalled at ten (up three from July).

I have no plans to provide further updates.
Russell E Saltzman
former editor, Forum Letter
former columnist, www.firstthings.com
essayist, https://aleteia.org/author/russell-e-saltzman/
email: russell.e.saltzman@gmail.com
Facebook: Russ Saltzman

LutherMan

Re: Condoms, Politics, Republicans, and Facebook
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:24:39 PM »
Weird thread.

Russ Saltzman

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »
Weird thread.

Don't I know it. The entire day has been like this, unaccountably odd.
Russell E Saltzman
former editor, Forum Letter
former columnist, www.firstthings.com
essayist, https://aleteia.org/author/russell-e-saltzman/
email: russell.e.saltzman@gmail.com
Facebook: Russ Saltzman

Charles_Austin

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:22:54 PM »
Facebook, for all the possibilities it offers, does serve up a constant diet of weird. My daughter says I ought to be on there, but hanging out there too much makes me think I've stumbled into that bar shown in the first Star Wars movie.

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:29:26 PM »
Facebook, for all the possibilities it offers, does serve up a constant diet of weird. My daughter says I ought to be on there, but hanging out there too much makes me think I've stumbled into that bar shown in the first Star Wars movie.

I could be the guy playing the keyboard :)
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Pr. Luke Zimmerman

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • 2 Timothy 3:14-15
    • View Profile
    • Minister of Mechanicsburg
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »

Pr. Austin:

That is one of the most apt descriptions of Facebook that I've read!

Pr. Luke Zimmerman
Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church -- Mechanicsburg, PA

pr dtp

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:02:57 PM »

Pr. Austin:

That is one of the most apt descriptions of Facebook that I've read!

Uhm  facebook friend Luke - the farce is strong with you!

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »
I dunno. I just got on Facebook last week. The Star Wars bar scene is officially called a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" which doesn't seem much like the Facebook crowd I'm in with. But I guess it all depends on the sort of people you get friend requests from.

George Erdner

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 10:30:33 PM »
I dunno. I just got on Facebook last week. The Star Wars bar scene is officially called a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" which doesn't seem much like the Facebook crowd I'm in with. But I guess it all depends on the sort of people you get friend requests from.

That's the truth of it. It's not right to condemn the venue when what makes each individual's Facebook page unique is who he befriends, and which friends he hides all posts from.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 12:49:47 AM »
And almost all of my Facebook "friends" are people that I actually know face to face and interact with in real life. I encounter the "Star Wars Bar" syndrome when I look in on some interest groups and other "associations."

James Thomas Sharp

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
    • View Profile
    • Lutheran Mission in Uruguay
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:22:34 AM »
I just don't get enough arguing about church stuff and politics (liberally spiced with personal sniping) on the ALPB forum, so I need Facebook as a supplement. 
"Don't thank me,  thank Marge Simpson!  She taught me that the ministry is more than just not caring about people."
- Rev. Lovejoy

Support Lutheran mission work in Uruguay!
www.lcms.org/sharp

Lawrence804

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:24:57 AM »

That's the truth of it. It's not right to condemn the venue when what makes each individual's Facebook page unique is who he befriends, and which friends he hides all posts from.

George is right. You can tailor it to just have trusted friends posting on your Wall. I do that, plus have "liked" public figures and interest groups that I find enjoyable and stimulating. Like choral music, classical radio stations, popular artists who I like, etc. Both the ELCA and LCMS have FB pages, and they are in my stream.