Author Topic: Army Chaplain Dies in Afghanastan  (Read 1615 times)

Daniel L. Gard

Army Chaplain Dies in Afghanastan
« on: September 01, 2010, 02:32:49 PM »
I received from Chaplain Mike Moreno, USN (director of Project Barnabas LCMS). It takes courage and a willingness to pay the ultimate price if one is to serve as a military chaplain.

Chaplain Goetz was a Baptist chaplain but, as my chaplain collegues here can validate, we all mourn his death as if he had been one of our own. Indeed, he was one of our own.

May God grant His peace to the family of Chaplain Goetz and His mercy to us and the whole world.

http://barnabas.lcmsworldmission.org/?p=895

olarmy02

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Army Chaplain Dies in Afghanastan
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 03:10:53 PM »
CH Goetz, from what I found out, was the BN Chaplain for 1/66 Armor 4thID.  The 4thID is the division I went to Iraq with in 2003, "Steadfast and Loyal".  Prayers ascending for his family and the soldiers of 1/66 Armor.
Rev. S.P. McMaughan
"there is no distinction between true and false interpretation of scripture without the formation of confession"  Sasse

LutherMan

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 03:15:27 PM »
Prayers are ascending for his family and the soldiers of 1/66 Armor.

Lawrence804

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »
A brave, good man. Servant of Christ, minister of the Gospel, patriot. Prayers for his family in their grevious loss. Prayers for his unit who mourn him and continue to serve our country.  

Eternal rest, grant unto him, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace.
Amen.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:53:16 PM by Lawrence804 »

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »
Just received. The official message from the Chief of Chaplains, U.S. Army through the Chief of Chaplains, U.S. Navy:

Subject: FW: CH (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

It is with my deepest sympathy and utmost respect that I announce to our Chaplain Corps that Chaplain (CPT) Dale A. Goetz was killed in action in Afghanistan on August 30, 2010 while serving as the Battalion Chaplain for 1-66th Armor Battalion, 4th Infantry Division. Dale was one of five Soldiers killed by an Improvised Explosive Device while traveling in a convoy near Kandahar Province. Chaplain Goetz is survived by his wife, Christy, and by their three sons- Landon, Caleb and Joel.

Chaplain Goetz is the first military chaplain killed in action in Iraq or Afghanistan. Dale was a selfless servant of God, a devoted husband and father, a strong American patriot, and a compassionate spiritual leader whose love for Soldiers was only surpassed by his firm commitment to living his calling as a United States Army Chaplain.

Please join with me in prayer for Christy, Landon, Caleb and Joel as we mourn with them in the loss of Dale, our fellow Soldier and Unit Ministry Team member. Let us also strive to honor Dale's sacrifice with a continuing bold commitment to ensure the finest religious support and pastoral care possible for our beloved Soldiers and their Families. 

May God bless the Goetz Family and the Families of all our Fallen Soldiers; and, may God bless our Army and the United States of America.

PRO DEO ET PATRIA...FOR GOD AND COUNTRY!

DOUGLAS L. CARVER
Chaplain (Major General) US Army
Chief of Chaplains

John_Hannah

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 06:11:17 PM »
My prayers go out for Cristy and family. Dale died an honorable death serving God and country (Deo et Patria). May he rest in peace and may perpetual light shine upon him.

(There actually was a chaplain who died earlier in Iraq, probably of a heart attack at the age of 60 or so. He was likely a Roman Catholic "contract priest" serving as an exception to all regulations due to the severe shortage of RC priests in the U.S. Army. I read this in the NY Times (my hometown newspaper) several months ago; the Times carries a detailed list of casualties every day and I read it every day. Sobering.

Your chaplains serve our nation well, regardless of political persuasion or confession.

Pro Deo et Patria! Indeed! (The motto of the U.S. Army Chaplaincy.)

Peace, JOHN HANNAH
Chaplain (Colonel, U.S. Army-Retired)

Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

pr dtp

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:17:46 PM »
My prayers go out for Cristy and family. Dale died an honorable death serving God and country (Deo et Patria). May he rest in peace and may perpetual light shine upon him.

(There actually was a chaplain who died earlier in Iraq, probably of a heart attack at the age of 60 or so. He was likely a Roman Catholic "contract priest" serving as an exception to all regulations due to the severe shortage of RC priests in the U.S. Army. I read this in the NY Times (my hometown newspaper) several months ago; the Times carries a detailed list of casualties every day and I read it every day. Sobering.

Your chaplains serve our nation well, regardless of political persuasion or confession.

Pro Deo et Patria! Indeed! (The motto of the U.S. Army Chaplaincy.)

Peace, JOHN HANNAH
Chaplain (Colonel, U.S. Army-Retired)

Having pastored a church, and served while colloquizing at another - both outside the world's largest Marine Corp's base, I got to know a number of great chaplains, and was able to work alongside them during and after 9-11.  One of my good friends, who is the circuit counselor the next circuit over (our circuits plus another meet together is a reserve army chaplain still.  These guys serve incredible hours, and do an incredible job.  In the states, they are invaluable to assisting our pastors, and in opening doors for ministry on base.

Chaplain Gard, if you hear of an offering set up for his family, can yuo let us know - and I will bring it up as our three circuits meet for the first time this fall in 2 weeks.

Thanks