Author Topic: NALC and CORE: The ALC Redivivus or the New ELCA?  (Read 13108 times)

ptmccain

NALC and CORE: The ALC Redivivus or the New ELCA?
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »
Here if a very well done, thought-provoking analysis of CORE and the NALC, from a former member of the ELCA, Pastor David Ramirez:

http://www.logia.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=140&catid=39:web-forum&Itemid=76

A snippet:

If Lutheran CORE is going to work as an umbrella organization, it will have to be ready to deal with potential sources for huge friction. I see two fault lines, ripe for trouble, which must be recognized and dealt with by the leadership of Lutheran CORE. One is the potential rivalry between LCMC and the NALC, the two big wolves in the pack. The other is the relationship between the traditionalists who leave the ELCA and those who are remaining within. I cannot see how the two will not be connected.

Word Alone Ministries has already moved to a firmer position against remaining in the ELCA. LCMC will almost certainly take a much harder line against the ELCA—and those who remain in it—than the emerging NALC. First, LCMC is made up of people who already left the ELCA back in 2001. Secondly, LCMC has picked up the majority of the congregations that have left the ELCA since last summer. This means that the LCMC has by and large gotten the congregations that were the most prepared, the best informed, and the most willing to leave. These “first wave” congregations left as soon as possible and needed a place to land. LCMC, as an already constituted and functioning body, aside from any other reasons, was obviously an attractive choice. The NALC on the other hand will not get many of those “first wave” congregations. Rather, as compared to the LCMC, the NALC will pick up more churches that were not as well informed, prepared to leave, or unanimous. In my estimation, over the next several years it will most likely be the NALC that will gain many of the congregations making a slower exodus from the ELCA. Regardless of whether one considers these “second wave” and later congregations timid or careful, this uneven distribution will shape the relationship between the LCMC and the NALC. Additionally, “evangelical catholics” and former LCA congregations who leave the ELCA are more likely to join the NALC, giving it a more varied composition than the LCMC. But perhaps most importantly, as mentioned above, the NALC will allow congregations within the ELCA to join. To a much greater extent than the LCMC, the NALC will have to guard against merely being the ELCA pre-2009.

ptmccain

Re: NALC and CORE: The ALC Redivivus or the New ELCA?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »
I should also mention that if you go to the link, there are a number of good comments there, by some participants here.

Revbert

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
I don't think the NALC is the ALC reborn (that would probably be the LCMC). Looking at the basic NALC structure (strong bishop speaking for the church in a teaching role, deans supporting that position, etc), it looks more like the LCMS with female pastors and less (for now) dogmatic infighting.

YMMV.

SmithL

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 11:20:21 PM »
Looking at the basic NALC structure (strong bishop speaking for the church in a teaching role, deans supporting that position, etc), it looks more like the LCMS with female pastors and less (for now) dogmatic infighting.
YMMV.
Like the old LCA?

Chuck

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:39:36 PM »
Like the old LCA?

Augustana shall rise again!  ;D
Chuck Ruthroff

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. —George Bernard Shaw

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:49:38 PM »
Like the old LCA?

God help us, with the Ministerium of Pennsylvania not far behind!
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 01:03:39 AM »
Like the old LCA?

God help us, with the Ministerium of Pennsylvania not far behind!

Would they ever refer to it as MOP?
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Terry W Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 07:35:49 AM »
Maybe the General Council with a picture of Charles Porterfield Krauth on their letterhead?
Trying to be retired but failing

Durkin_Park

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Lutheran League-LC
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 04:16:10 PM »
@ Pastor Hebbeler

How do you figure the NALC is structurally like the LCMS+women pastors? Could you explain more?

Revbert

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »
@ Pastor Hebbeler

How do you figure the NALC is structurally like the LCMS+women pastors? Could you explain more?

Well...reading the proposed constitution, the NALC bishop has the authority to speak for the NALC in a teaching mode, and the deans are there to support the bishop. While I'm not 100% conversant in LCMS politics these days, it has a lot more look and feel of the LCMS than the ELCA as I mosey through the proposed constitution.

Think of my comment more as shorthand than literal descriptions of both groups.

Durkin_Park

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Lutheran League-LC
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 05:42:49 PM »
"it has a lot more look and feel of the LCMS than the ELCA as I mosey through the proposed constitution."

In what way, specifically?

I am interested, because I haven't heard anyone say that before.

LutherMan

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
http://steadfastlutherans.org/?p=12047

Steadfast Lutherans have a new thread up:
"ELCA Splinter Group CORE to Constitute a New Church this Week but Falls Short on Scriptural Authority, by Pr. Rossow"

Charles_Austin

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 11:01:31 PM »
ptmccain writes;
Here if a very well done, thought-provoking analysis of CORE and the NALC, from a former member of the ELCA, Pastor David Ramirez:
(and then he posts a link which I will not repost.)

And Lutherman writes:
Steadfast Lutherans have a new thread up:
"ELCA Splinter Group CORE to Constitute a New Church this Week but Falls Short on Scriptural Authority, by Pr. Rossow"

I comment:
And so it goes, folks. No surprise.
Even before the new church body is formed, a certain wing of the LC-MS (which I am reliably told is in the minority, but nonetheless is a "voice" of the LC-MS) denounces it. I am not sure that CORE and the new church body should think that wing of the LC-MS is their friend.
And so it goes. No surprise.

LutherMan

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 11:09:02 PM »

I comment:
And so it goes, folks. No surprise.
Even before the new church body is formed, a certain wing of the LC-MS (which I am reliably told is in the minority, but nonetheless is a "voice" of the LC-MS) denounces it. I am not sure that CORE and the new church body should think that wing of the LC-MS is their friend.
And so it goes. No surprise.

Our voice decidedly voted Rev. Harrison in as Synodical President.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 11:21:29 PM »
"Decidedly"? I thought it was 51 percent?