Archived Boards > LWF Assembly 2010

Ecumenism at the LWF Assembly

(1/3) > >>

Charles_Austin:
Stories and comments on the ecumenical relations of Lutherans

Charles_Austin:
Bishop Hanson on the desire for communion
http://www.lwf-assembly.org/experience/lwi-assembly-news/news-detail/article/384/8/
A message from the Ecumenical Patriarch
http://www.lwf-assembly.org/experience/lwi-assembly-news/news-detail/article/377/8/
From our Reformed Colleagues
http://www.lwf-assembly.org/experience/lwi-assembly-news/news-detail/article/433/8/

Apologies to the Mennonites for previous persecutions
http://www.lwf-assembly.org/explore/lutheran-mennonite-reconciliation/

A Catholic Lutheran:
Just read the "Bishop Hanson on the desire for communion" article...

All I can say is "WOW!"  There is one man who has NO sense of reality.  I'm really serious here.  I think PB Hanson may be suffering from some sort of delusion.

Does he really think that he has made any sort of positive contribution to ecumenism?  His own sect is disintegrating, any sense of "communion" in the ELCA breaking left and right, and he's going to continue whining about the lack of Communion between Rome and the ELCA?

Truly, truly amazing.

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

Charles_Austin:
Pastor Kliner writes:
Just read the "Bishop Hanson on the desire for communion" article...
All I can say is "WOW!"  There is one man who has NO sense of reality.  I'm really serious here.  I think PB Hanson may be suffering from some sort of delusion.
I comment:
We can always enjoy long-distance psychoanalysis. Pastor Kliner posted only a very few minutes after he read the article, so I hope we can grant him some more time to think things over.

Pastor Kliner:
Does he really think that he has made any sort of positive contribution to ecumenism?
Me:
Well, Cardinal Kaspar, the late Pope John Paul II and the current Pope Benedict XVI think he has.

Pastor Kliner:
His own sect is disintegrating, any sense of "communion" in the ELCA breaking left and right, and he's going to continue whining about the lack of Communion between Rome and the ELCA?
Me:
Sect? Not the normal use of that term, but it's your choice to insult several million people.
"Breaking left and right"? More unverified apocalyptic predictions.
"Whining"? I cannot imagine where, in any of the words Bishop Hanson used, you would find justification in the use of that term. It applies the most uncharitable construction on the comments and is - in my opinion - a slander against your own Presiding Bishop. (You are still with us, right?)
Agree. Disagree. Criticize if you wish. But can we avoid these instant attacks? Just a few minutes after the posting goes up, there is Pastor Kliner with guns blazing.

A Catholic Lutheran:
Well let me ask the painfully obvious questions then:

-Are the ELCA and the Roman Catholic Church closer to sharing the Eucharist now than we were before PB took the reigns at the ELCA?
  Answer: We are further away, though the PB can only be blamed for some of this.  But clearly the relationship between the ELCA and the RCC has been strained by the actions of the ELCA in the ten years after JDDJ was ratified, and the PB's leadership is a key part of that.  I can cite examples where the PB's reactions, in specific, have increased the divergence between the ELCA and the RCC, not helping things.

-Has the ELCA come closer to it's fellow Lutheran bodies or have we diverged since Hanson became the PB and the President of the LWF?
   Answer: Clearly we are further from even our fellow Lutherans, both inside and outside the LWF.  There was that uncomfortable incident where Bp. Obare was ejected from the LWF, which will not be forgotten any time soon.  Our relationships with the LCMS are at their lowest point in memory, even (by my reckoning) at a lower level than 1972.

-Has the ELCA come closer in her internal relationships in the 8 years that Mark Hanson has been the PB?
   Answer: Clearly the answer has to be a resounding "NO" since the denomination is in the process of disintegrating and there is no real proposal out there for a re-integration.

Minnesota nice aside, I can find no proof to back up the idea that PB Hanson has done anything to further the cause of ecumenism.  Yet he has been consistent on calling on others to commune with us throughout his tenure, and then complaining when they don't.  This isn't "long distance psycho-analysis."  It's a sober assessment of the situation.  The PB's words are not rooted in reality.

You can disagree with me.  But as I survey the ecumenical situation, I can find NO grounds to hope for improvement nor call for Rome nor the Orthodox to push open the door when we (of the ELCA) refuse over and over again to try and close the distance with them.

And if that's guns-a-blazing, then so be it.  I'm sick of playing nice when there's so much BS in the air.

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version