Author Topic: Resolution for 2013 Convention?  (Read 3576 times)

Timothy C. Schenks

Resolution for 2013 Convention?
« on: July 18, 2010, 03:01:10 AM »
In 2007 the convention passed a resolution to have the 2010 convention in Houston again.

Was there a similar resolution this year?

ptmccain

Re: Resolution for 2013 Convention?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:16:56 AM »
Word has it that expenses are going up in Houston. The complexities of the International Center staff and other St. Louis based agencies and entities going to Houston are enormous and very expensive. I also hear that costs in St. Louis may be coming down, due to lack of demand for our large convention center space here. So, perhaps convention will move back to St. L. ?

Weedon

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:08:02 AM »
I understand that they saved a million by holding it in Houston - the convention center being given free for the use (don't worry - they made plenty at the associated hotels!).   We did adopt a resolution that stated that St. Louis be given preference when feasible.  Obviously, saving a cool mill makes St. Louis NOT feasible this go round.

ptmccain

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
"saved a million" I've heard that too.

What is not so well know is how much it costs to schlep all the St. Louis based agencies, entities and support staffs down to Houston. That's a mighty pretty penny, or two, or a million pennies, or two or three tens of millions of pennies. And it's one of those things where you have to be there.

For example, CPH could have set up a couple card tables, I suppose, but we felt we had to be there in a big way as the Synod's publisher. It was expensive, unavoidably so, and to add insult to the injury, all the exhibitors had to shut down and leave on Tuesday by 3:00. I still have not heard why, but that surely was unfortunate, since the convention went until Saturday morning.

ptmccain

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »
And before Pastor Weedon asks me why I'm posting here instead of being at Divine Service....we attended the DS last night.

:)

Weedon

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:37:17 AM »
LOL.  I'm getting ready to head over for the Lord's gifts in a few minutes.  Hopefully the worst of the storm will be passed here by then.  I'm on vacation for a couple weeks, but we really like worshipping at St. Paul's so that's where we'll be (at least this Sunday).

Jim Butler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
In 2007 the convention passed a resolution to have the 2010 convention in Houston again.

We passed a resolution that said that the Synod President will pick the dates and the Synod's BOD will choose the place (with preference to StL). I think it's where that should be anyway.
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

pr dtp

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 09:40:46 PM »

We passed a resolution that said that the Synod President will pick the dates and the Synod's BOD will choose the place (with preference to StL). I think it's where that should be anyway.

Why not use a major University campus?  When I was in unviersity admin, we had Bible lectures there that would have 4-5000 people.  And the dorms could easily hold the entire convention. The food services are used to feeding that many, there are many classrooms, halls etc for use.

Couldn't River Forest or Ann Arbor host it?

LutherMan

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 09:50:29 PM »
They did that in 1959 as the Synodical Conference drew her last breaths.  Oakland, New Ulm and Mankato.  The overseas theologians and delegates were comfortably housed.  I sure hope they had A/C and/or heat.

Evangel

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Rev. Mark Schimmel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 10:45:35 PM »

Why not use a major University campus?  When I was in unviersity admin, we had Bible lectures there that would have 4-5000 people.  And the dorms could easily hold the entire convention. The food services are used to feeding that many, there are many classrooms, halls etc for use.

Couldn't River Forest or Ann Arbor host it?

The one national youth gathering I went to as a yute  (LCA '81) was at Purdue.
Mark Schimmel, Pastor
Zion Lutheran Church, LCMC
Priddy, TX
--
ACXXIII, "Your majesty will graciously take into account the fact that, in these last times of which the Scriptures prophesy, the world is growing worse and men are becoming weaker and more infirm."

aberaussie

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Cognitively Dissonant
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
I was at the LCA gathering at Purdue as well!  It was my first out of four that I attended.....

Katie Abercrombie
Katie Abercrombie

Charles_Austin

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 12:14:24 AM »
THen, Katie Abercrombie, our paths crossed. I covered a couple of those youth gatherings at Purdue.
On the subject: One of the reasons the ELCA, and the LCA before it, moved the conventions/assemblies around the country was so that people attending could get a taste of the context of the church in different places and so that the people in those places could benefit from having contact with fellow Lutherans from other parts of the country. At each gathering, delegates and visitors are given many opportunities to visit the work of the local churches.

ptmccain

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »
By the way, the Synod's meeting planner reported that Synod did not meet minimum capacities at two of the major convention hotels, and so Synod is going to be hit with perhaps as much as a $200,000 charge as a result. Houston is not as inexpensive a place to meet as some would have had us think. The "hidden costs" of moving the IC staff and all related agency and entity staff members down there is HUGE, in addition to everything else.

Hopefully, we'll be back in St. Louis next time around.

LutherMan

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
Isn't JK a Texan, and MH a Midwestern boy?
Bet we are done with TX.

Jeff-MN

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 01:32:54 PM »
Minneapolis would be a nice place for the convention.  Good enough for the RNC convention in 2008 and a very possible location for the Democratic convention in 2012.