Author Topic: Convention Adjourned  (Read 4117 times)

Scott6

Convention Adjourned
« on: July 17, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »
There it goes...  Into the record books...

LutherMan

Re: Convention Adjourned
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:48:33 AM »
Wow.   And what a convention it was.  My thanks to all the delegates and everyone involved.

Thanks again for your excellent reportage, Pr. Yakimow.

pastormesser

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 11:49:10 AM »
There it goes...  Into the record books...

Thanks again, Scott (er, Your Eminence), for your wonderful coverage; it is most appreciated.  Safe travels back home, brother!  

ptmccain

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »
Very important point:

Floor Committee Eight withdrew its proposed Constitutional Amendments for consideration, pending delegates wish to adjourn. A nice way of doing it. I think they saw the handwriting on the wall as to the fate of their amendments.

Jeremy Loesch

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 01:11:44 PM »
Very excellent job Scott.  Enjoy your road trip with your children and your wife.   ;)  It could be a long ride.

I thank you for your work and your good nature in handling the online comments from those of us who only convene in spirit.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

pr dtp

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »
Very important point:

Floor Committee Eight withdrew its proposed Constitutional Amendments for consideration, pending delegates wish to adjourn. A nice way of doing it. I think they saw the handwriting on the wall as to the fate of their amendments.

I believe that construction to be very poor at best.

Weedon

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 01:52:51 PM »
I think it accurate, and not pejorative, Dustin.  If the simplest of the constitutional amendments failed (4 year cycle), none of the substantial proposals stood a chance of getting through; and it seemed wise not to waste the time to confirm the obvious. 

Jeff-MN

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
Convention adjourned...  with no tornado!

LutherMan

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »
No cross was toppled, either.

ghp

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 10:45:57 PM »
I think it accurate, and not pejorative, Dustin.  If the simplest of the constitutional amendments failed (4 year cycle), none of the substantial proposals stood a chance of getting through; and it seemed wise not to waste the time to confirm the obvious. 

I concur.

There were copious amounts of handwriting on the wall. And little-to-none of it was in favor of FC8 saddling up one last time...

pr dtp

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 12:43:01 AM »

I concur.

There were copious amounts of handwriting on the wall. And little-to-none of it was in favor of FC8 saddling up one last time...

Except of course - there were a number of resolutions on Saturday were passed by better than a 66% margin.

And it sounded perjorative. as does "handwriting on the wall".  You guys really think that those loaded phrases are "best construction"?

ptmccain

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 07:07:43 AM »
OK, FC 8 all had 1:00 tee-times they didn't want to miss.

:)

Harvey_Mozolak

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 07:19:22 AM »
Perhaps it was all quite obvious but any time any side does the parliamentary maneuver, some permutation of a filibuster, instead of squarely facing an issue it does leave a sour taste to things especially when the church gathers to do its business.  I have seen it used on both my preciously correct side and on the part of the enemy... and it pretty on either side.  And here I am not advocating the church is at best a democracy in action.   I have also noticed that we leave important matters on national and synodical/district and parish levels often to the tail end of meetings, after we fool around with all kinds of other fluff and then have no time for essentials.    Maybe that was not the case here.   Harvey Mozolak
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

ghp

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 10:41:54 AM »

I concur.

Except of course - there were a number of resolutions on Saturday were passed by better than a 66% margin.

And it sounded perjorative. as does "handwriting on the wall".  You guys really think that those loaded phrases are "best construction"?

Actually, I do. I think Chairman Stoterau used no small amount of political acumen in reading the room at that point on Saturday morning, re: FC8's offerings -- i.e., he read the handwriting that had accumulated on the wall over the course of the week, especially that written in the aftermath of passing 8-08a -- and offered up the choice that was well received by the assembly. I give him credit for that.

pr dtp

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 12:26:25 PM »

I concur.

Actually, I do. I think Chairman Stoterau used no small amount of political acumen in reading the room at that point on Saturday morning, re: FC8's offerings -- i.e., he read the handwriting that had accumulated on the wall over the course of the week, especially that written in the aftermath of passing 8-08a -- and offered up the choice that was well received by the assembly. I give him credit for that.

Glen,

If you sat down and talked with Rev. Larry Stoterau for any bit of time, you would realize that "political acumen" for him takes a distant second to pastoral care.  I hope that when you come out here for Board of Regents meetings, you will have that opportunity.

Political acumen, with 450 delegates gone, and the momentum of high percentage passes would have led to something like passing a few constitutional amendments while resistance was down.  Even the opportunity for dialog begun on those issues would have been politically expedient.  THere are a lot of things a politician would have done.  He didn't.

A pastor saw people, tired and weary, and did what he did.