Author Topic: Interesting Bach Piece on NPR  (Read 1245 times)

Nicholas Amsdorf

Interesting Bach Piece on NPR
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:51:13 PM »
Thought the Bach fans here would like this story I heard on NPR yesterday.
Here's the link.

A Catholic Lutheran

Re: Interesting Bach Piece on NPR
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:25:17 PM »
I too listened to this piece...  I thought it was fascinating.

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

FatherWilliam57

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 11:53:36 PM »
Can't help but wonder if this isn't her attempt to make Bach "relevant" to the current culture.  (It's being done in theological circles, I suppose it's only fair for musicians to have at it as well.)  It disturbs me that she doesn't seem to care what Bach's original intent or concept was for the piece...her interpretation is what really counts.  Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that...
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
Interim Pastor, St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Evans City, PA
"Put on the whole armor of God."

Nicholas Amsdorf

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:21:58 AM »
That's a good point. Secularists simply can not deal with the reality of J.S. Bach's very clear Lutheran orthodoxy, in fact, it drives most of them nutso whenever this is brought up.

What gave me pause during the interview was her comment about how she doesn't try to bang hard on the piano and such and she feels neither did Bach, to which I thought...hmmm.

She seemed oblivious to the fact that Bach did not use a pianoforte for any of his keyboard works, but the harpsichord, which is vastly different mechanically and tonally from the piano.

But, whatever.

Her entire CD is available, for free, to listen to on the web site.

Chuck Sampson

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
That's a good point. Secularists simply can not deal with the reality of J.S. Bach's very clear Lutheran orthodoxy, in fact, it drives most of them nutso whenever this is brought up.

What gave me pause during the interview was her comment about how she doesn't try to bang hard on the piano and such and she feels neither did Bach, to which I thought...hmmm.

She seemed oblivious to the fact that Bach did not use a pianoforte for any of his keyboard works, but the harpsichord, which is vastly different mechanically and tonally from the piano.

But, whatever.

Her entire CD is available, for free, to listen to on the web site.
Thanks for posting this.    And as an antedote to the secular response to Bach this is an excellent YouTube video of the Bach Collegium of Japan and their recent Bach Motets CD . . .  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T3mOTq214w

(If memory serves me I first came across the link on Pr. Weedon's blog.)

Nicholas Amsdorf

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 10:45:39 AM »
Chuck, yes, my favorite conductor working with Bach who actually "gets" the point of Bach's music and his life.

FatherWilliam57

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »
Personally, I have always enjoyed the work done by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert with authentic instrumentation. 
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
Interim Pastor, St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Evans City, PA
"Put on the whole armor of God."

jpetty

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 12:38:06 PM »
Can't help but wonder if this isn't her attempt to make Bach "relevant" to the current culture.  (It's being done in theological circles, I suppose it's only fair for musicians to have at it as well.)  It disturbs me that she doesn't seem to care what Bach's original intent or concept was for the piece...her interpretation is what really counts.  Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that...

It's done all the time.  She just admits it.  For example, most of Bach's cantatas were performed by a relatively small chorale and were not the huge productions you sometimes see today.

wgross

• ALPB Forum Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 05:10:17 PM »
Pastor McCain's point about how secularists have trouble with Bach's Lutheran orthodoxy reminded me that I once read an article (I think it was in the New York Review of Books, but I'm not certain about that) in which the author stated that Bach's religious compositions, unlike his secular works, are rarely heard. Yeah, right, they're rarely heard, except in about a hundred thousand churches throughout the planet every Sunday. Although the author might have been referring only to concert hall performances rather than to all presentations of Bach's music, I suspect that the author was so out of touch with Christianity that he or she simply did not know or care that Bach is heard constantly in churches. Alas, I suppose that this kind of ignorance (if that is what is was) is common among many secularists and intellectuals.

William G. Ross

George Erdner

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »
Here is an excellent Bach piece, and something to thing about for those who denounce the use of certain musical instruments as being unsuitable for certain types of music.

Here's another.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:11:28 PM by George Erdner »

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 11:29:54 PM »
Here is an excellent Bach piece, and something to thing about for those who denounce the use of certain musical instruments as being unsuitable for certain types of music.

Here's another.

Those are videos of old/classical pieces of music on newer instruments... here's a video of a new(er) song on a classical instrument.
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

George Erdner

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 12:06:56 AM »

Here's another.

Those are videos of old/classical pieces of music on newer instruments... here's a video of a new(er) song on a classical instrument.

That was an entertaining piece of music. If you're into that sort of thing, remember that Electric Light Orchestra included two cellos, and Apocolyptica is a heavy metal band from Finland that uses three cellos.

I rather like this one. The trio is Czech.