33 (58.9%)
Gerald Kieschnick
13 (23.2%)
Herbert Mueller Jr.
1 (1.8%)
Don't Care For Any of Them
3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Who Should Be Elected LCMS President?  (Read 30445 times)

Mike Gehlhausen

Who Should Be Elected LCMS President?
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:00:52 PM »
Official Notice
Nominations for President and Vice-Presidents

The nominations process for the offices of President, First Vice-President, and other vice-presidents of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod has been completed.

Of those receiving the highest number of nominating votes for the office of President, the following have given their consent to serve if elected:

* Matthew Harrison -- 1,332
* Gerald Kieschnick -- 755
* Herbert Mueller Jr. -- 503
* Carl Fickenscher II -- 5
* Daniel Gard -- 3

Of those receiving the highest number of nominating votes for the office of First Vice-President, the following have given their consent to serve if elected:

* Herbert Mueller Jr. -- 809
* Matthew Harrison -- 728
* William Diekelman -- 244
* Wallace Schulz -- 240
* Jeffery Schrank -- 112

Of those receiving the highest number of nominating votes for the offices of vice-presidents two through five, the following have given their consent to serve if elected:

* John Wohlrabe Jr. -- 800
* David Adams -- 682
* Daniel Preus -- 488
* Paul Maier -- 481
* Scott Murray -- 436
* Dean Nadasdy -- 435
* David Buegler -- 353
* Herbert Mueller Jr. -- 195
* Carl Fickenscher II -- 161
* Wallace Schulz -- 159
* Victor Belton -- 134
* Luther Brunette -- 74
* Matthew Harrison -- 45
* Lawrence Rast -- 44
* Dean Wenthe -- 42
* Harold Senkbeil -- 36
* Clint Poppe -- 35
* John Pless -- 34
* Jacob Preus -- 32
* Daniel Gard -- 30

Source: http://www.lcms.org/pages/rpage.asp?NavID=16795

Mike

Karl Hess

Re: Who Should Be Elected LCMS President?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:04:59 PM »
I just got an email about this, but you beat me to it. 

Wow, it looks like a resounding rejection of Jesus First by the LCMS grassroots.

Karl Hess

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 12:08:37 PM »
Duck and cover, the purge is on its way! ::)

carlvehse

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:36:55 PM »
God willing, these nomination numbers will also signal that the recommendations from The Blue Ribbon Task Force on Synod Structure and Government will end up swirling in the toilet.

Jeremy Loesch

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:56:19 PM »
Glad to see the list of nominations has come out.  There are excellent names on the list to lift up in prayer for this difficult task.  My congregation nominated Harrison and Mueller.  We also nominated Will Weedon for VP 2-5 but I don't see his name on the list.   :(

I'm quite pleased to see the results of the number of nominations too.  I think that is a positive sign for our church body.

I'm a little puzzled that I do not see Pres. Kieschnick's name on the list of candidates for 1st VP. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
Mike, I'm not voting, not a LCMS guy... but you may want to change the wording of the last option to something like, "I prefer a candidate not listed"... the way the last option is worded now is a bit, ahm, bitey.
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 01:07:27 PM »
True enough... happy voting!
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 01:09:07 PM »
I think I answered one of my own questions after perusing the steadfast Lutherans site that there was quite likely a large # of men declining their nominations so that in beautiful, pleasant Houston, TX it will be a tw0-horse race and no other show pony will steal any votes.  (Please note Chap. Gard, I am not calling you a show pony.  You are a theological and pastoral Clydesdale of the first order!  ;D)

May the Evangelical Catholic win!  Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Jeff-MN

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 02:15:34 PM »
How many presidential nominations went for others not listed as giving their consent to run?  Anyone know?

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
I'm for Chaplain Gard, on the alpb ticket. 

Seriously, what I see is a ton of organizational effort at the "grassroots" level, as Karl indicates.  The last time this happened, Al Barry won by 8 votes over Ralph Bohlmann.  Or 6.  Something like that.  I was a newbie then, and don't remember much except some young pastor having a nervous breakdown right on the convention floor.  Also, oddly, maybe not so oddly, the enormous energy and partying at the Ft. Wayne Seminary HQ.  That was actually weird.  As though Ft. Wayne had won and St. Louis had lost, or as though the Ft. Wayne seminary was in some ways the Barry Campaign Headquarters. 

I believe the number of people who declined (I was not among them, meaning I had less than 3 nominations, which is truly a blow considering the amount of money I put into my pre-campaign) was substantial - not a few, a lot.  I'm sure Pres. Kieschnick and Bill Diekelman took their names off the other position (pres or 1vp), although Herb and Matt interlocked theirs. 

My experience in close elections is that you have to stay focused, tightly focused.   Not counting my initial election, I've won 6 of 6 re-elections, and 5 of them, that's 83.3%, were by a one vote margin.  Just sitting here now, I'm campaigning, and I'm not even running for anything.  It's all tax-deductible, and it's a part of staying focused, keeping your eye on the ball.

Dave Benke

swbohler

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
Dr. Benke,

What exactly was the "Fort Wayne Seminary HQ" in 1992 to which you refer?  Was this some place at the convention, or do you mean the seminary itself?  Why did you feel it was a SL vs. FW kind of thing that year, and do you mean the SL seminary vs the FW seminary, or FW seminary vs SL (synod offices)? 

As I was a FW seminary student at that time, perhaps the joy there was in the fact that Dr. Bohlmann was perceived to be no fan or friend of the FW seminary -- recall the staggering percentage of FW graduates who did not receive calls at that time, compared to the relatively small percentage from SL.  Dr. Barry, however, was very supportive of those students.  Given such perception, the pleasure at the election results is not really that surprising, is it?

Weedon

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 03:22:22 PM »
I definitely think a margin of this sort adds up to a sort of "no confidence" vote in the direction that the current administration has been heading... I don't think it's so much that Pastor Harrison is a super star or some such, but that he has offered a plan that actually sounds workable and gives us hope for going forward as a Synod.  I think a lot of these nominations reflect congregations saying:  "We're on for 'It's Time'" and ready to work through our differences under Scripture and the Symbols."  Exciting stuff, really!

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »
Mike, when you're re-elected by acclamation the vote is actually 1-0, as the Secretary casts the ballot.  And therein lies the secret to victories by one vote.  Run unopposed.  I've done that 5 of 6 times in the re-election scheme of things.  It takes focus to do that.  Demonstrating daily that this is a position no one should even think about in terms of a life goal.

SW, you've been to these shindigs, so you would know that there are rooms at which parties are held by the various educational entities, seminaries and colleges and such.  That year the Ft. Wayne room was, as I said, like Barry Campaign Headquarters.  And maybe it actually was.  Who can say from such distance?  I was just a guy looking for a beer.

Pr. W., before going any further, it needs to be said that I predicted this.  I had that vibe, and had it right.  I do think the organizational effort that went into the nominations was partially done as a show of no confidence, as you say, and partially as a desire to head in a different direction, as you say.  As to the convention results as performed by the delegation elected, they remain to be determined.

Dave Benke

Weedon

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »
Do you have a gut feeling on the election itself, bishop?  My gut feeling is that Harrison has it, but not by as wide a margin as the nominations suggest. 

swbohler

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 04:12:30 PM »
Yes, Dr. Benke, I have been to several synod conventions (as well as district conventions) but I am out the door as soon as the recess is announced each evening.  And I head for my hotel room, not the hospitality room.  By that time I have had enough of the political process and just want to talk with my wife on the phone, or smoke my pipe in peace, or to take a walk.  I leave the parties to others, so have no experience of the sort of thing you mentioned.