Author Topic: Easter Vigil Questions  (Read 1399 times)

RayToy

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
Easter Vigil Questions
« on: April 03, 2010, 01:07:07 AM »
<de-lurking>

Hello!

For those of you who do the Easter Vigil, I am wondering two things.

1) What is your starting time?

2) Of the possible 12 lessons, how many do you actually use?

Thanks,
Ray
Deacon Raymond Toy, OSSD

RayToy

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Vigil Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 01:18:05 AM »
<de-lurking>

Hello!

For those of you who do the Easter Vigil, I am wondering two things.

1) What is your starting time?

2) Of the possible 12 lessons, how many do you actually use?

Thanks,
Ray

Oh, I should let folks know what we do.  Ours starts at 11:00 PM and we use four lessons.

Ray   
Deacon Raymond Toy, OSSD

Weedon

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:31:23 AM »
Our vigil begins at 8 p.m.  Due to our location just yards from Interstate 55, we cannot begin outside.  No one can hear anything but semis rolling past.  The vigil uses six readings (Creation, Flood, Sacrifice of Isaac, Red Sea, New Heart, and Three Children).  We always sing the Benedicite in that jaunty Island's tune using the Stephen Starke text.  We use the service of light, the service of readings, the service of baptismal remembrance (and confirmations this year), the service of prayer, and the service of the Eucharist.   

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 09:12:21 AM »
We begin  at the next quarter-hour following astronomical sunset so that there is bright twilight outside but the church is sufficiently dark so that the candlelight is meaningful.

Practically that means beginning at 7:30 on years when Easter is around March 28-29; 7:45 on most years for an "average" date of early April; next year we will need to begin at 8:00.   It used to before more complicated when the Standard Time/Daylight Savings Time change sometimes occurred on this night.

As for the lessons, most years we have Baptisms and reduce the lessons to four:  Genesis 1; Exodus 14; Isaiah 55; and Daniel 3.  On years without Baptisms such as this year I really should increase to seven--but do not.
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

FatherWilliam57

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »
Our Vigil begins on the following half-hour past sunset, this year starting at 8:00 PM.  For many years, I used all 12 readings.  For the past several years, we have used seven.  We have a large front porch, therefore we almost always start outside...unless it is far too cold.
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
Interim Pastor, St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Evans City, PA
"Put on the whole armor of God."

edoughty

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
7 PM.

Four lessons.

racin_jason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »
Not to be pedantic about it, but here's my question concerning Easter vigils: would the end of an easter vigil be an appropriate time to break the Lenten fast? The one i'm considering attending has a reception afterwards and the thought of feasting afterwards has a certain appeal.
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

Weedon

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
YES!!!  We usually come back home after Vigil and EAT. 

Pr. Luke Zimmerman

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • 2 Timothy 3:14-15
    • View Profile
    • Minister of Mechanicsburg
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 01:20:15 PM »
(1) Start at 7:30pm. Tried moving times, but people have been "locked in" to 7:30pm starts for evening services, so it's just what we do.

(2) Use 6 OT Readings. (Creation, Flood, Sacrifice of Isaac, Red Sea Crossing, and the Three Young Men in the Fiery Furnace are always read. A sixth reading changes annually.)

(3) We have a reception afterward: finger foods, small desserts, and baklava!  Perhaps champagne some day, but we don't want to look like Episcopalians now, do we?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:26:33 PM by Pr. Luke Zimmerman »
Pr. Luke Zimmerman
Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church -- Mechanicsburg, PA

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 02:01:21 PM »
Not to be pedantic about it, but here's my question concerning Easter vigils: would the end of an easter vigil be an appropriate time to break the Lenten fast? The one i'm considering attending has a reception afterwards and the thought of feasting afterwards has a certain appeal.

As I posted on the other Easter Vigil thread, my wife is the choir director and has always provided each choir member, assisting minister, lector, etc with about a pound and half of home dipped dark chocolate candy.

Lent ends at the Gloria of the Easter Vigil.   Those who attend the Vigil may have their candy tonight.

We have nearly a full choir.  Shameless bribery.
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

racin_jason

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 02:56:14 PM »
So those who don't attend a vigil may not break their fast? Shoot. I've got to rank my priorities: ncaa basketball or easter vigil with food afterwards? Such a dilemia.
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

Rev. Spaceman

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Day by day, your mercies, Lord, attend me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »
8:00 PM, the four "required" readings.
Rev. Thomas E. Jacobson, Ph.D

edoughty

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
And yes, we have a small "coffee hour" after Vigil-- chocolate cake, et cetera, but nothing too "heavy".  Easter Breakfast is more substantial, hosted by the youth of the congregation.  It begins an hour-and-a-half prior to the start of our 10:30 Easter Morning service.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 04:21:07 PM »
There were some years when, following the first eucharist of Easter, I doffed the alb and stole and donned a white jacket and chef's toque to preside at the stove, cooking eggs and pancakes and sausage for the Easter Breakfast. (my family ran a restaurant and I know what I'm doing at the stove.) Then it was back to ecclesial vestments for the later celebration.