Author Topic: Missouri's Horse Race  (Read 14369 times)

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: Missouri's Horse Race
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »
What's Tony Cook's pedigree, Scott?  Suburban guy trying to make it in the Big City? 

Bp. Benke

Scott Geminn

« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2010, 06:41:05 PM »
I believe so.  What's strange is that before I went on vicarage he wasn't an emergent guy and then when I came back a year later he was the postmodern/emergent guy on campus.  Great guy to talk with but to a coast guy like myself he's not saying anything new.  It just strikes me that all this emergent talk is the new passing fad and those whom I have met who are really into are just clinging to it because they see it as the new answer to the declining church in America.  I'm just wary of urban ministry talk from some people at sem and in synod.  Let me give you an example as to why, some at the sem and in synod hold Christ in the City in St. Louis up as an example of reaching out to postmodern/emergent people in an urban setting.  They've had articles in the Reporter as well as the Witness promoting how great of an outreach it is but I'm skeptical.  Here's why: having been there a couple of times while a sem student for worship the people they were drawing were not from the neighborhood or the surrounding medical schools but rather the neighboring surburban churches such as St. John's Ellisville as well as Webster Gardens.  They were averaging 50 plus but they weren't members or new Lutherans they were people from other churches coming to check out the church turned coffee shop.  Also, the centrality of the Eucharistic is just not on their radar.  As you know, Pastor Sauer really hit on this in his excellent article in the Spring 2010 LF.  In part I think that this is so because many are still in church growth mode of thinking.  If you do this then this will result while at the same time underestimating the means of grace (which we are all guilty of doing).

Dave_Poedel

« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
.  If you do this then this will result while at the same time underestimating the means of grace (which we are all guilty of doing).
I pray that not all of us do, but thanks for the reminder to keep the means of grace central....because they ARE the only consistent effective means we have.

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2010, 09:45:57 PM »
Over time it's bogus to have a bunch of people from somewhere else drive in to start an authentic urban outreach, and then they drive home afterward.   I can see it at the get-go, as an aspect of putting some shoe leather out in the neighborhood/coffee shop/club, but it's counterproductive to the urban mission itself if it goes on too long. 

There was a guy who hung out in bars with people who were in the life and not contemplating being a major part of the religious scene because they didn't fit.  Several days from now awhile back, he ended up dead.  And then some.

Dave Benke