Author Topic: Pretty Good Lutherans Site No More  (Read 5341 times)

jrubyaz

Pretty Good Lutherans Site No More
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:02:08 AM »
One good thing that had come out  of the schism was the site www.prettygoodlutherans.com . Sadly, it went bye bye today, the author could not sustain it. RIP!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:04:23 AM by jrubyaz »

GalRev83

Re: Pretty Good Lutherans Site No More
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:29:58 AM »
This makes me sad. I thought the site was indeed "pretty good" at trying to cover all sides of news stories -- tho the blogs she posted did tend to seem to be from one viewpoint only. I also saw that the ELCA Facebook page said some icy things about Susan Hogan, and I wonder what might have been going on "behind the scenes" to prevent this work from going forward. I guess I am a bit of a conspiracy theorist!!

MSchimmel

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:54:34 AM »
One of the things that was on that site was Sec. Swartling's memo on dual rostering.  I have a copy archived on the lcmcfriends.info site as well.  You do have to register to download a copy though.

One thing that came to light after both the copy I have and the one that was on PGL is that the date the memo was sent was changed on the PGL copy.  The one on lcmcfriends was dated 1/13/10 - the day after the earthquake in Haiti.  The one on PGL - (which is still up there at the moment, BTW) is a reissue dated 1/19/10.  The copy I received was from a pastor who replied to Sec. Swartling by email blasting him for such a power grab in the shadow of such a human tragedy.

jrubyaz

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 01:28:40 PM »

I hate to burst the bubble of the conspiracy theorists, but Ms. Hogan has a nice explanation on her website today. Plain and simple, it was economics, and she makes clear she was not pressured to quit by the ELCA.

She also notes it was very time consuming, and if enough donations came in, she would reopen the site.

jrubyaz

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:29:42 PM »

That copy is not confidential, Mark. In fact, the copy on PGL was one I provided Ms. Hogan. A number of pastors in our Synod circulated it.

One of the things that was on that site was Sec. Swartling's memo on dual rostering.  I have a copy archived on the lcmcfriends.info site as well.  You do have to register to download a copy though.

One thing that came to light after both the copy I have and the one that was on PGL is that the date the memo was sent was changed on the PGL copy.  The one on lcmcfriends was dated 1/13/10 - the day after the earthquake in Haiti.  The one on PGL - (which is still up there at the moment, BTW) is a reissue dated 1/19/10.  The copy I received was from a pastor who replied to Sec. Swartling by email blasting him for such a power grab in the shadow of such a human tragedy.

Dadoo

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 01:29:52 PM »
Maybe a few of us good spring for a donation or two?

Good penance for conspiratorial thinking . . .
Peter Kruse

Diversity and tolerance are very complex concepts. Rigid conformity is needed to ensure their full realization. - Mike Adams

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
I'm a patron of a couple of other similar websites.  Even if Ms. Hogan is still unable to continue, I've already received plenty for the $25 I just sent.

Pax, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

racin_jason

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »
What I don't get is the lack of warning. The site was humming along and then all of a sudden the plug was pulled on the whole thing. Even Oral Roberts first issued a warning that God might call him home, that was good for $9 million. Too many Lutherans are not pretty good at fundraising.   
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

George Erdner

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 05:32:50 PM »
Too many Lutherans are not pretty good at fundraising.   

Some of us are better than others.  ::)

jrubyaz

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »

FYI, the site is back up and running.

racin_jason

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 10:22:59 AM »
Dear Readers,

This site launched in early September 2009 as the ELCA entered a critical transition period. It provided a hub for you to find all of the "secular" media coverage about your denomination post-CWA09.

It's also been a place to examine issues together and to lift up your voices. Your response was incredible. Please know that I'm truly grateful.

Now that the year has passed, I'm discontinuing this site to move ahead with other projects. If I reprise the site in the future, I'll let you know. Again, thank you for your generous support.

With gratitude,
Susan
9/10/10

Though its coverage slanted leftward, PGL was a site that quickly became important reading for all concerned about the ELCA. Sad to see this is happening (again) but it's not entirely surprising.

We have to wonder if "refereeing" the comments feature is one reason the site shut down. The creator's insistence of approving every comment must have been time-consuming. She could have just let the comments fly as they will and delete later, or she could have disabled comments completely---the site would have been just as good reading.

I quickly grew to rely on PGL. It covered some events that went unmentioned here at ALPB. Most of those were minor (ie blog entries about Lent), but some were significant--actions of bishops and such.    

It will be missed.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:27:31 AM by racin_jason »
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »
“Sadly, it went bye bye today, the author could not sustain it.”

“…if enough donations came in, she would reopen the site.”

“Maybe a few of us good spring for a donation or two?”

“…I've already received plenty for the $25 I just sent.”

“What I don't get is the lack of warning. The site was humming along and then all of a sudden the plug was pulled on the whole thing. Even Oral Roberts first issued a warning that God might call him home, that was good for $9 million. Too many Lutherans are not pretty good at fundraising.”

“Some of us are better than others.”

Indeed! Less than 10 hours later…

“FYI, the site is back up and running.”

Would make Oral Roberts proud.  ;)
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Charles_Austin

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 10:42:19 AM »
Susan is a competent, long-time journalist who has won awards in the competitions sponsored by our Religion Newswriters Association.

jpetty

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 09:26:31 AM »
Blogs are pretty cheap.  She must be talking about the cost in terms of time.

SmithL

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 11:53:35 AM »
Blogs are pretty cheap.  She must be talking about the cost in terms of time.
I'm sure there was an emotional price that she paid for running the site, too.