Author Topic: The thread for info on churches voting to change affiliation & all follow-up.  (Read 980835 times)

Scotty8284

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: The thread for info on churches voting to leave the ELCA & all follow-up.
« Reply #2535 on: August 12, 2010, 08:57:47 AM »
I started a thread regarding seminary eduction if anyone would like to discuss it. 

Please find it here:

http://www.alpb.org/forum/index.php?topic=3128.msg169226;topicseen#msg169226
Jim Scott
NALC Layman
Wittenberg '78

Marshall_Hahn

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: August 12, 2010, 10:11:34 AM »
The Councils of Old East Paint Creek Lutheran Church, Waterville, IA and Old West Paint Creek Lutheran Church, Waukon, IA, have set Sunday Sept 26 for their first votes to leave the ELCA and to vote on joining the North American Lutheran Church.  

Ken

As Ken knows, I do not need a lot of encouragement - in fact, it is probably best not to encourage me at all, my wife says.

LUTHERAN CORE HIGHWAY

Chewin’ on a piece of grass, walkin’ round the bend;
Tell, me, how long ya gonna stay here, Ken?
Some people say this church don’t look good, but then,
They don’t seem to care.  Amen.

Lutheran CORE highway in the sunshine,
Where the days are longer, theology’s stronger than anti-nomianism.
You’re gonna go, I know o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-oh!
‘Cause a free synod’s blowin’ through your hair;
And the days surround your daylight there;
Confessions cry out, “Don’t despair!”
Prophetic, rogue tornadoes in the air, in the air!

Thinkin’ ‘bout a fallen cross, waitin’ for the NALC.
“I’m sorry, boys, but that’s the best that I can see!”
“Ah, c’mon, Ken, what about the LCMC?”
“Thanks a lot son, not for me.”

Where the days are longer, theology’s stronger than neo-Gnosticism.

Marshall Hahn  (with apologies to "America")
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:13:09 AM by Marshall_Hahn »

Steverem

• View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: August 12, 2010, 10:18:54 AM »
(with apologies to "America")

Is that apology to the '70s era band, or to the country in general?  ;)

(I kid.  Very nice work, Marshall!)

mdmenacher

« Reply #2538 on: August 12, 2010, 10:46:11 AM »
Now that the ELCA has instituted its own form of same sex marriages, the ELCA Board of Pensions has followed suit with "ELCA benefits available May 1, 2010 to eligible same gender partners":

https://www.elcabop.org/en/BenefitsAdmin/Sponsoring_employee/Eligible-partners.aspx

I apologize if this information has already been posted.

MDM

George Erdner

« Reply #2539 on: August 12, 2010, 11:28:50 AM »
Where are the 358 pastors needed now with more congregations forming to that growing number? Does LCMC have enough pastors now? How many of those are retired or approaching with less than 5-8 years of service to give?

And the seminaries needed are not yet even off the drawing board. You need trained seminary professors. They are even harder to grow.

Point well taken L Smith.

The LCMC has a surplus of pastors. The only problem that they appear to have might (and I stress the "might") have too many in one part of the country and not enough in others.

Timotheus Verinus

• View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: August 12, 2010, 03:44:58 PM »
Where are the 358 pastors needed now with more congregations forming to that growing number? Does LCMC have enough pastors now? How many of those are retired or approaching with less than 5-8 years of service to give?

And the seminaries needed are not yet even off the drawing board. You need trained seminary professors. They are even harder to grow.

Point well taken L Smith.

[reply moved to new sem thread]

TV
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:21:47 PM by TVerinus »
TAALC Pastor

Ken Kimball

« Reply #2541 on: August 13, 2010, 12:17:37 AM »
Certainly the dissenting members of the Task Force--Bp. Carol Hendrix, Pr. Cori Johnson, and Rev. Dr. Scott Suskovic--were not given voice.  Pr. Cori Johnson in her presentation at St. Peter's, Greene, IA for a Call to Faithfulness forum last November told us that the "bound conscience" was first presented to the task force as a protection for traditional-orthodox pastors, laity, congregations, and synods to be able to refuse imposition of the changes sought by the revisionists--but that the language and intent were changed by the ELCA Church Council actions in April 2009. 
Ken
We never got an answer from the task force chair or members of the task force. Dr. Wengert is a professional theologian, and his stance on the issue was well known. We also never got to hear from the minority dissenters on the task force.

Did the non-voting members of the task force have voice at the assembly?

Ken Kimball

« Reply #2542 on: August 13, 2010, 12:21:07 AM »
Marshall,
We really need to find an open mic night during the week in Columbus. 
Ken
PS--Just think of what else we might come up with in our 11 hour drive out to Columbus on that Monday!  I'm thinking we need to rework some Pink Floyd stuff!

The Councils of Old East Paint Creek Lutheran Church, Waterville, IA and Old West Paint Creek Lutheran Church, Waukon, IA, have set Sunday Sept 26 for their first votes to leave the ELCA and to vote on joining the North American Lutheran Church.  

Ken

As Ken knows, I do not need a lot of encouragement - in fact, it is probably best not to encourage me at all, my wife says.

LUTHERAN CORE HIGHWAY

Chewin’ on a piece of grass, walkin’ round the bend;
Tell, me, how long ya gonna stay here, Ken?
Some people say this church don’t look good, but then,
They don’t seem to care.  Amen.

Thinkin’ ‘bout a fallen cross, waitin’ for the NALC.
“I’m sorry, boys, but that’s the best that I can see!”
“Ah, c’mon, Ken, what about the LCMC?”
“Thanks a lot son, not for me.”

Where the days are longer, theology’s stronger than neo-Gnosticism.

Marshall Hahn  (with apologies to "America")

Marshall_Hahn

• View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: August 13, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
Marshall,
We really need to find an open mic night during the week in Columbus. 
Ken
PS--Just think of what else we might come up with in our 11 hour drive out to Columbus on that Monday!  I'm thinking we need to rework some Pink Floyd stuff!

I've got the chorus for "One Vote Over the Line, Sweet Jesus" - we can work on the verses in the car.

Marshall Hahn 

LutherMan

Lutherans lose 91,000 members
« Reply #2544 on: August 14, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700056577/Religion-around-the-world.html?pg=1

Lutherans lose 91,000 members

CHICAGO (AP) — The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America lost almost 91,000 members and 48 congregations last year, but saw a slight increase in per-congregant giving.

In 2009, the denomination dropped to 4.5 million members and about 10,300 congregations, according to a report released Tuesday by David Swartling, the ELCA secretary.

Total offerings in congregations dropped by nearly 3 percent, to about $2.6 billion, but average giving per baptized member increased by a similar percentage, to $492.

The ELCA, which is the largest Lutheran body in the United States, is dealing not only with the impact of the recession but also with the fallout from the denomination's vote last year to lift the celibacy requirement for gay clergy.

SmithL

« Reply #2545 on: August 14, 2010, 01:05:42 PM »
A couple of stories from the Herald Journal (Winsted, MN)

Pastor Thorson resigns from Cokato Evangelical Lutheran Church
http://www.herald-journal.com/archives/2010/stories/thorson-resigns.html

New church forming in the Cokato area
http://www.herald-journal.com/archives/2010/stories/crossroads-church.html

Evangelical Lutheran Church of Cokato voted 116-111 to remain in the ELCA.  The new church is Crossroads Community Church, and there is no indication whether they are Lutheran.

LutherMan

The face of Lutheranism in East Central Illinois will change this fall.
« Reply #2546 on: August 16, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/religion/2010-08-15/year-after-denomination-accepted-gay-clergy-some-local-lutheran-churches-ap

The face of Lutheranism in East Central Illinois will change this fall.

Three small-town congregations that have been part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America – the largest Lutheran denomination in the U.S. – for 22 years are switching affiliations.

The dispute pits orthodox, or traditional, ministry against progressive changes.

The trigger point was a vote almost a year ago, at the denomination's biennial national meeting, to open its clergy roster to gay and lesbian ministers who are in committed, same-gender relationships. Previously, homosexual clergy had to remain celibate to stay in the pulpit.

"That's just the spark and the boil-over point," said the Rev. Jeffray Greene, pastor of American Lutheran Church, Rantoul. "Please don't say it's about sex. ... It's become sexually charged.

"You're gay, not gay; who cares?" he said. "It's a scriptural issue. We all misbehave. Why focus on one sin? Every sin qualifies you for hell."

Three congregations in East Central Illinois Lutherans have taken their first vote to leave the ELCA:

<snip>

pbnorth3

« Reply #2547 on: August 17, 2010, 08:42:37 PM »
More congregations leaving the ELCA, and one that failed in its second vote, the majority forming a new congregation. From David Barnhart's blog:

"This week's update of congregations voting to leave the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America since August 2009 includes the following revisions and additions:

Additions and changes since August 8
1. Faith Lutheran Church Seward, NE (removed from our list) second vote failed by one vote.
Over 100 members have formed a new congregation—Living Word Lutheran Church of Seward, Nebraska. They have leased a former Presbyterian church building that closed recently in Seward. First Service - August 22.
2. Mabel Lutheran Church, Sutton, ND * first successful vote
3. Bethany Lutheran Church, Spencer, IA * first successful vote
4. First Lutheran Church, Milford, IA * first successful vote
5. Zion Lutheran Church, Ruthvan, IA * first successful vote
6. Ullensvang Lutheran Church, Thor, IA ** second successful vote"

Posted by Rob Buechler

George Erdner

« Reply #2548 on: August 17, 2010, 09:08:23 PM »
I wonder how many congregations are waiting until after the Summer season, when congregational meetings are difficult to schedule, and after the NALC's official launch this weekend to get started.

I had a conversation yesterday with someone formerly from Christ our Shepherd Lutheran Church in Peachtree City, Georgia. They held a first vote to leave back in February which failed. Around 100 members of that church have started a new congregation. They are in the process of deciding whether to join the LCMC or NALC, and are favoring the NALC.

George Erdner

« Reply #2549 on: August 17, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
Speaking of February 28th, this was the next entry on Captain Thin's blog after the one about Christ Our Shepherd.

February 28 – The synod council of the Florida-Bahamas Synod rejects the request of St. Peter Lutheran Church (Fort Pierce, Florida) to leave the ELCA. The congregation, which unanimously voted twice to leave the ELCA, was formerly a member of Lutheran Church in America (LCA) before the denomination joined ELCA. Former LCA congregations require permission of their synod in addition to two 2/3 majority votes in order to leave the ELCA. It is believed that this is the first vote to leave the ELCA which has been refused by the denomination.

Has anyone heard any further follow up on this situation? The congregation's Website has a nice, big LCMC logo on it.