Author Topic: Election of Bishop in MD-DE Synod Postponed  (Read 6385 times)

Dissenter

Re: Election of Bishop in MD-DE Synod Postponed
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2009, 08:10:26 AM »

PS: Personally, I cringe at purple clergy shirts but have no problem with purple choir cassocks or piped house cassocks.

I'd prefer to see a Bishop dressed in jeans, cotton shirt, comfortable shoes and helping a local congregation engage servant evangelism.  Yeah, but I can dream ...

krs1984

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2009, 08:18:30 AM »

Yes and no on this one. Yes, the college has indeed shifted its focus on event booking to sports camps for the reason stated. However, the LSS held two assemblies at the College during this decade, while my wife and I were at the seminary.

Brother Shuster

Trust me when I say those two assemblies were 'under extreme pressure' by Bishop Edmondson to hold them there. They resisted we pushed.

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2009, 01:11:35 PM »

Yes and no on this one. Yes, the college has indeed shifted its focus on event booking to sports camps for the reason stated. However, the LSS held two assemblies at the College during this decade, while my wife and I were at the seminary.

Brother Shuster

Trust me when I say those two assemblies were 'under extreme pressure' by Bishop Edmondson to hold them there. They resisted we pushed.

The most recent (and last) LSS Assembly at Gettysburg College was in AD 2006; the Assembly at which Bishop Hendrix was deposed by defeat on the final ballot.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Charles_Austin

« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »
And one of the rare times when an ELCA synodical bishop was actually deposed when he or she sought re-election. What was that all about? She was, I believe, a solid traditionalist.

krs1984

« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2009, 02:17:35 PM »
I believe it was about local issues around the call process

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2009, 07:00:22 PM »
And one of the rare times when an ELCA synodical bishop was actually deposed when he or she sought re-election. What was that all about? She was, I believe, a solid traditionalist.

The overarching election issue was the stagnation in the Call Process; my recollection is that about 45 of the 267 congregations were "In Transition" with an average 18 month transition period.  Congregations and clergy were growing very frustrated at the slow pace.

Also, Bishop Hendrix was very strict in calling retired clergy to task when there was even the appearance ( much less the subtance) of interfering in former congregations.  There was a strong contingent of voting members, predominantly led by the retired clergy who may as well have adopted the slogan of "Anyone But Carol". 

There was certainly a contingent who did not appreciate her orthodox preaching and teaching on matters pertaining to sexuality, but they were not the primary movers.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015