Author Topic: The Seven Deadlies  (Read 1659 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
The Seven Deadlies
« on: August 19, 2006, 03:12:02 PM »
Well of course it isn't scientific, but I was amused by a poll currently appearing on beliefnet.com, asking people to fess up to which of the seven deadly sins is most troublesome to them (well, specifically, "which of the seven deadly sins are you guilty of most?"). It was lust in a walk, of course, with 30% copping to that. This wasn't a surprise. Lust has the advantage of being perhaps the most easily recognizable of the seven in oneself, at least in our experience. (That's not to say it isn't also often easily justified in the luster's mind.) Next came pride, at 18%. No, that doesn't surprise me either; pride is perhaps the one we feel freest to admit because it seems so completely internal, without social consequences.

But what startled me was that at the bottom of the list, 7% each, was greed and wrath (anger). Is this because these involve socially unacceptable behavior? Is it that they are the most difficult to recognize in oneself?

My vote actually was for sloth, but when I took their little quiz "How slothful are you?" it reassured me that I don't really have any trouble with this at all. Now THAT'S a relief! I can rest easy now!
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

pilgrimpriest

Re: The Seven Deadlies
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 06:05:08 PM »
I envy the slothful. Does that count as one or two?

Fr. Bob

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 06:39:02 PM »
Does gluttony not even count anymore? If not, what we need is a campaign to get sloth reclassified as a glandular problem. Pride too. Then when people revile me for being an insufferably condescending, holier-than-thou, pompous buffoon, I can take advantage of the glandular status of my pride by reclassifying them as jerkaphobes who owe me several apologies.

RogerMartim

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Vede que grande amor nos tem concedido o Pai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 04:16:02 PM »
As a church administrator for 19 years, I kept myself abreast of theological matters. One day the assistant pastor came up to me and asked what were the seven deadly sins. I tried to list them all but I was lacking one or two of them. I then asked the senior pastor if she could enumerate them better than I could and she said there weren't any such things as the seven deadly sins. I said that there were of course in the traditional manner according to Dante. She cussed at me and said that I didn't know what I was talking about.
The following Sunday she preached a sermon on the seven deadly sins and wrote an article in the church newsletter about the same. Of course, she didn't give any acknolwedgement to where she got this new-found informaton. She treated it as if this was something that she always knew. It was then that I was aware that I knew more than she would ever would. I no longer work for her, thank goodness, and in time, she got fired from the church for her blatant use of plagarism.