Author Topic: Temple Prostitution: a modest proposal  (Read 11410 times)

Stormin Norman

Temple Prostitution: a modest proposal
« on: November 06, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »
Pastor Speckhard, I just wanted to thank you for a fantastic article (“Temple Protistuion: a modest proposal”) in the November 2009 edition of Forum Letter.  I save most of my previous Forum Letters but this one I will keep close at hand.  I’m so interested in your “modest” proposal, I was wondering if you have or will be publishing a study guide for congregational use and discussion…perhaps a Part III to the Journey Together Faithfully series? ;)  And have you thought about a program for congregations that would like to reconcile themselves against the puritanical stigmas associated with this most ancient profession….excuse me vocation?  Perhaps a program could be started for those congregations who would concern themselves with Prostituting Evangelical Lutheranism Via Inclusive Sexuality?  :o  If you’re looking for a congregation to pilot the first PELVIS Program, I’d like you to consider us.   ::)  But to truly be inclusive and to make sure one had the support of both the men and women of a congregational council, I think we should advocate for both men and women temple prostitutes.  Hope this isn’t a deal breaker?

Norm D.

Thanks again for a great and provocative article.  Forum Letter is always a blessing to receive.

Scott6

Re: Temple Prostitution: a modest proposal
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:20:01 PM »
I like to think that I gave him his start...

Now, uh, umm, uh...  Could somebody please post the article so that us poor grad students can both read it and still feed our families?

LCMS87

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:31:55 PM »

Now, uh, umm, uh...  Could somebody please post the article so that us poor grad students can both read it and still feed our families?

It's very close to what you've already read for free here, though there was other content that has kept me subscribing for 22 years now.  The piece by Ward Palotta titled, "Glad that's over" was quite good.  And then there was the brief note by our esteemed moderator concerning President Kieschnick under the heading, "Charming naivete." 

At just $21.95 for students, it probably wouldn't take too many days of bread and water for the family before you could afford a subscription.  :)

dkeener

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 06:53:33 AM »
Is this a discussion thread or a survey?  ;D

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »

You're starting to sound like a Democrat . . .  ;D
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Scott6

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »

You're starting to sound like a Democrat . . .  ;D

Well your momma wears combat boots!  >:(

[[That'll teach you to throw insults around...  Sure showed you...   :-[ ]]

;D

Jonathan_Hall

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 11:30:57 AM »

Sounds to me like you gave into temptation by the devil.  As for me and my house, we do not live on bread alone, but on the Forum Letter.  (It's really not bad when you cook it long enough with beans and rice.  I just hope they use soy-based inks.)

Or I could just give you my copies when I'm done with them--just don't tell Richard or Peter.

Scott6

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »

Now, uh, umm, uh...  Could somebody please post the article so that us poor grad students can both read it and still feed our families?

Sounds to me like you gave into temptation by the devil.  As for me and my house, we do not live on bread alone, but on the Forum Letter.  (It's really not bad when you cook it long enough with beans and rice.  I just hope they use soy-based inks.)

Oh yeah, rub it in.  Just 'cause you're a rich guy who can afford rice...  >:(

Or I could just give you my copies when I'm done with them--just don't tell Richard or Peter.

Ooooo.  I like it.  It'll be our secret.  Shhhh.

jengelma

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 12:54:24 PM »
Pastor Speckhard:

Thank you for the hilarious "Modest Proposal."   When I came home from work my wife handed the Forum Letter and said that I had to read your "proposal" while she finished making dinner.  I read the "proposal" in our upstairs bedroom and my wife could hear me laughing in the kitchen downstairs.  Now if we could just get ELCA Bishop Hanson to read it out loud to an assembly of Bishops we might get somewhere. 

John E.

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 01:42:59 PM »
I think the article is well written, sharp and biting...  but I wonder if humor like this is what we need in a time like this.  To laugh at ourselves is one thing but when we have stepped back and taken another position I don't think we do well to subject our opponents to something close to ridicule.  Harvey Mozolak
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

Charles_Austin

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 01:58:18 PM »
People here will not be surprised when I say:
Read it.
Hated it.
Believe the author should repent of it.
Seriously considered canceling my subscription to Forum Letter because of it.

If I were to write something linking the LC-MS with the Spanish Inquisition or Soviet Russia, lacking only the thumbscrews and the gulag, would Forum Letter print it? All in good fun, of course. Not.  >:(

Dadoo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 02:23:21 PM »
Read it.
Hated it.

If I were to write something linking the LC-MS with the Spanish Inquisition or Soviet Russia, lacking only the thumbscrews and the gulag, would Forum Letter print it? All in good fun, of course. Not.  >:(

Well, the Monte Python sketch about the Spanish Inquisition is a classic today; comfy chair, dish-rack and all. It might be a good read. When can you get it to the editor?
Peter Kruse

Diversity and tolerance are very complex concepts. Rigid conformity is needed to ensure their full realization. - Mike Adams

Voelker

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »
I think the article is well written, sharp and biting...  but I wonder if humor like this is what we need in a time like this.  To laugh at ourselves is one thing but when we have stepped back and taken another position I don't think we do well to subject our opponents to something close to ridicule.  Harvey Mozolak

Ah, there's the interesting part: this article is not so much ridicule (which often requires great exaggeration of the position being attacked) as it is the substitution of what nearly everyone would agree to be unacceptable/wrong into the arguments set forward for something some claim ought not be seen as unacceptable/wrong. The point, it seems, is that as there was virtually no effort needed to complete this substitution, the arguments being attacked are held up as so absurd as to be beyond ridicule. If one is offended by an argument for TP, one ought to be equally offended by the original arguments and positions at question.

Ken Kimball

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 02:29:41 PM »
As an English major, I found Peter's Swiftian satire to be well written.   As a theologian, I think he makes an excellent point about where and how and whether we can draw any lines once we have taken it upon ourselves to thumb our noses at ala CWA 2009 at the Church before us and at the Church throughout the world.  Well done Peter.   I suppose I could start taking up a collection to see that poor, rice-deprived graduate students can be given complimentary subscriptions to the LF/FL.   ;)
Ken
Read it.
Hated it.

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
to make up my own set:  sola culpa, sola culpa, sola maxima culpa...  that is where at least one great reformation began. I ordered Bertram's A TIME FOR CONFESSING which someone in these topics recently suggested... after reviewing an array of confessing movements in the Church... he concludes, "But the biggest dilemma of all in our confessional movements, I believe, is their relative rightness or wrongness.  Not one of those movements to which I have alluded either was or pretended to be infallible.  Neither, I suppose, have they all been as humble as we might wish them to be.  Shouldn't they issue at least some confession of repentance as well as of faith?"   Both sides of this present issue claim some kind of a confessional stance... I am still looking for deeper repentance from both and from those outside who witness our ecclesial debacle.  I wish there was a baptist ala Jordan among us.     Harvey Mozolak
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com