Author Topic: The Lutheran Study Bible  (Read 21074 times)

vicarbob

Re: The Lutheran Study Bible
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 04:03:53 PM »
the song of songs is certainly not w/o imagary, but Vulgar :o :o :o
BTW. STS is just about out of rooms....only one left with whirlpool and private sitting room

pr dtp

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 04:06:24 PM »
Hmmmmm, so AF who published before CPH used a similar title...hmmm a Bible published by Lutherans calling itself a Lutheran Bible, how unique ::) ::) Hope ELW as a title wasn't a concern ;)
Pax,
Bob
Trying to book a flight to STS.......we were asked to bring the LBW.....no recommendation as to "preferred" Bible was noted.

I understand the Vulgate works quite nicely in that setting, and I'm sure they have a few extra around there.  ;D  If you need a copy, I'll bring mine.

sigh..these modern revisionists.....

LutherMan

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »
Hmmmmm, so AF who published before CPH used a similar title...hmmm a Bible published by Lutherans calling itself a Lutheran Bible, how unique ::) ::) Hope ELW as a title wasn't a concern ;)
Pax,
Bob
Trying to book a flight to STS.......we were asked to bring the LBW.....no recommendation as to "preferred" Bible was noted.

Vicarbob, I am just glad you aren't a Missouri Lutheran.  You scare the crap outta' me with your non quia theology.

LutherMan

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
vicarbob is not a Lutheran whom I would recognize as a fellow Lutheran.

Matt Staneck

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 11:16:10 PM »

Thanks for the declaration, we were all waiting for it! 

M. Staneck

PS: Did Pastor's Johnson or Speckhard appoint you chief statement maker around here? You have an awful lot to say, "Lutherman."
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

LutherMan

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 11:18:17 PM »

M. Staneck

PS: Did Pastor's Johnson or Speckhard appoint you chief statement maker around here? You have an awful lot to say, "Lutherman."

Like Pr. Charles Austin, I am self-appointed.

LutherMan

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »

M. Staneck

I await your call, haughty youngster.  After you complete sem.  I'm just a layman with a checkbook, of course.  The dumb pewsitting Lutheran.

grabau14

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 11:56:29 PM »
Pax,
Bob

The CPH project has been in production a lot longer than the AF product.  The AF study Bible barely has any notes, and the notes it does have are well...... 

For the record, I am a collector of Bibles especially those with notes from various traditions.  The Orthodox Study Bible is a nice resource.

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 12:16:33 AM »

M. Staneck

I await your call, haughty youngster.  After you complete sem.  I'm just a layman with a checkbook, of course.  The dumb pewsitting Lutheran.

I don't get your self appointed crusade to say things that are pretty much better left unsaid.  "Just a layman with a checkbook, of course."  What does that mean?  Is this some sort of monetary threat against me if I'm ever up for a call?

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

Timotheus Verinus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 01:31:56 AM »

I don't get your self appointed crusade to say things that are pretty much better left unsaid.  "Just a layman with a checkbook, of course."  What does that mean?  Is this some sort of monetary threat against me if I'm ever up for a call?

M. Staneck

Matt,

Don't get too reactive. :) Those things tend to settle themselves out in cycles. After a congregation gets a reputation, the decline call rate starts running in the teens and they stop calling. Usually the DP gets around to an Intentional interim to deal with the response. A Specific Ministry context emerges, and if they don't get trapped in endless retired pastor syndrome, some changes happen. Sooner or later comments such as this will get the answer, "You , dear member, have me confused with someone who needs your checkbook. Rather, you respond with gifts to God, or not, and no more. I'll work with whatever He provides."

IF you ever find yourself in such circumstances, consider making the announcement that you have asked the council to mothball the building, to. buy a small 6ft by 8 foot shed to store a table, a bible, a cross, and the elements, to be set it in the parking lot. Tell folks you will be in the parking lot at worship time. Few call documents require you to hold worship in a designated sanctuary. You don't even need chairs. You don't even need the shed.... I have those things in the trunk of my car. (along with some liinen, ashes, oil, candles etc.)

Matt 6:24 ""No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."

TV
TAALC Pastor

RevSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 02:18:20 AM »
Pax,
Bob

The CPH project has been in production a lot longer than the AF product.  The AF study Bible barely has any notes, and the notes it does have are well...... 

For the record, I am a collector of Bibles especially those with notes from various traditions.  The Orthodox Study Bible is a nice resource.

Yes and if I am not mistaken the CPH study Bible was also originally going to simply be called "Lutheran Study Bible" but after AF stole it for their vastly inferior study Bible CPH was forced to add the "The.." 

Pastor Steven M. Bliss LCMC and NALC-  St Olaf Lutheran Church, Bode, Iowa

New quote, got tired of questions about Dante quote...

"Doin stuff is overrated. Like Hitler did a lot of stuff but don't we all wish he would have just sat around all day and got stoned?"-Dex from the Tao of Steve

Edward Engelbrecht

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 08:09:07 AM »

Yes and if I am not mistaken the CPH study Bible was also originally going to simply be called "Lutheran Study Bible" but after AF stole it for their vastly inferior study Bible CPH was forced to add the "The.." 

Dear Steve,

In fact, the project was titled "The Lutheran Study Bible" pretty much from the start. You will find that title on our Grow in His Word site, which we set up in 2004 when I was Senior Editor for Adult Bible Studies. Here is the address:

http://infocus.cph.org/abs/

Note the date at the bottom of the page. We did not change our title in response to A/F. We wanted the acronym "TLSB" to distinguish the Study Bible from LSB (Lutheran Service Book, CPH's new hymn book). McCain chose the title, I chose the acronym.

Regarding the duration of the project, I kept telling the team: Good things take time; bad things can be done immediately. I thank God for the patience of CPH leadership and the patience of our customers, which allowed us to develop the most thorough Study Bible available in English.

In Christ,
Rev. Edward A. Engelbrecht, STM
Senior Editor for Professional and Academic Books
and Bible Resources

General Editor for The Lutheran Study Bible

Charles_Austin

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 08:13:01 AM »
Technically, an "acronym" is a word, that is, a pronounceable combination of initial letters, like NATO. But we get what you mean.

(Once an English major, always an English major.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:14:33 AM by Charles_Austin »

Weedon

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 08:33:45 AM »
Well, TLSB is pronounceable.  It's just Slovak...  Who need vowels? ;)

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »
Well, TLSB is pronounceable.  It's just Slovak...  Who need vowels? ;)
Certainly not the ancient Hebrews -- even fewer than the Slavs! :)
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]