Author Topic: Clash of Civilizations! (or ?)  (Read 5161 times)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: Clash of Civilizations! (or ?)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 12:59:42 PM »
Perhaps the better response to the question "Does God hear/respond to prayers addressed to Allah?" is not "Yes" or "Depends on which 'Allah'," but to simply allow God to do what God wishes to do without our assigning human positions to His work.

Arab Christians address their prayers to "Allah"?

To me, it is the same as asking "Are Hindus/Muslims/etc saved?"  My response: "As a Christian, I can only witness that salvation comes through Christ's death and resurrection.  As to others, that is God's concern, not mine."

We can state that Christ died and was raised for Hindus/Muslims/etc. As to their salvation, (and we haven't defined that that means,) I agree with you, it's up to God.
"The church ... had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Eric_Swensson

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 02:21:59 PM »
We can state that Christ died and was raised for Hindus/Muslims/etc. As to their salvation, (and we haven't defined that that means,) I agree with you, it's up to God.

Just curious Brian, who is the "we" and what is your definition of salvation? If we is the church, I thought both Scripture and creed has defined salvation succinclty.

It means not dead.

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 07:37:38 PM »
Just curious Brian, who is the "we" and what is your definition of salvation? If we is the church, I thought both Scripture and creed has defined salvation succinclty.

It means not dead.

I was referring specifically to the "we" who participate in this discussion.

Are you saying that the difference between those who are saved and those who are not saved is that the saved do not die, i.e., do not remain dead, but are raised up to a resurrected life? Wouldn't that imply that those who are not saved, just remain dead and that there is no eternal punishment?
"The church ... had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Eric_Swensson

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 07:11:47 AM »
I wasn't saying any of those things. It was a throwaway line, a bit of humor, but I suppose it was a little too "quick."