Author Topic: No Agenda Here?  (Read 3498 times)

Charles_Austin

Re: No Agenda Here?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 04:35:37 AM »
Eric! Still with us? Good.
But no fair trying to sneak in anonymously.  ;)   ;D

Steverem

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 09:25:40 AM »
Someone writes:
This is one instance where I would like to hear the opinion of our resident formerly-ELCA-employed journalist.  What say you, Charles? 

I respond:
I'm just back from several days in the wilderness with limited connection with the outside world.
Here's what I say. Other times in this forum when i have tried to explain how my other profession works, I have met with only jeers, criticisms, snarky comments, and other accusations of various wrong-doing. Furthermore, I'm not an ELCA "insider."
So I have nothing to say on this matter.

Sigh.  Charles, I have told you who I am (in some detail) several times, even linking to an online bio.  If you can't remember me long enough to actually refer to me other than "someone," I fear that senility might finally be setting in.  ;)  (And again, "Steve" or "Steverem" would be sufficient.)

And I really did want your opinion.  I want to know if you can explain what appears on the surface to be a significant lack of objectivity, or if you are somewhat miffed that the news service did indeed step over the line.  If you want, you can private message me your opinion.  I'll keep the jeers and the snarky comments to a minimum.  (Who knew you reporter guys were so sensitive?)

- Steve

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »
I'd actually be interested in your thought on this as well, Charles. But you can tell me in person later today.  ;)
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Fred_S

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 05:32:27 PM »
I too was dismayed at the timing of this release and sent an email to HQ - here is a copy of my email and response.

8/13/2009 11:47 AM
Is there a reason this article was release just prior to CWA when the
report was issued in May 2009?  It is hard for me to believe that this was
just a coincidence.

Fred Seling

Response

Dear Fred:

The news release came out just last week, along with all kinds of other information related to this survey. 

John R. Brooks
Director, ELCA News Service
Chicago

revklak

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 05:43:03 PM »
I too was dismayed at the timing of this release and sent an email to HQ - here is a copy of my email and response.

8/13/2009 11:47 AM
Is there a reason this article was release just prior to CWA when the
report was issued in May 2009?  It is hard for me to believe that this was
just a coincidence.

Fred Seling

Response

Dear Fred:

The news release came out just last week, along with all kinds of other information related to this survey. 

John R. Brooks
Director, ELCA News Service
Chicago

So somehow we got an advance realese on the story and survey, along with the secular press?

Fred_S

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »
I too was confused, especially when the press release mentioned the May 2009 survey near the beginning.  I choose not to follow-up.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 05:55:25 PM »
I too was confused, especially when the press release mentioned the May 2009 survey near the beginning.  I choose not to follow-up.
I'm still confused. What happened in May 2009? Is that when the survey was taken? Was there a news release that the survey was going to be taken? Was the survey taken before that date, and was there a news release summarizing results of the survey without making public the numbers?
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Lutheranistic

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 05:59:45 PM »
The original press release, dated 5/19/09 from Public Religion Research is here:

http://www.publicreligion.org/research/?id=208

A little hard to believe that The ELCA news service wasn't sent a copy back in May...or that the ELCA's clipping service didn't send them a copy. But who knows?

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 07:01:52 PM »
The original press release, dated 5/19/09 from Public Religion Research is here:

A little hard to believe that The ELCA news service wasn't sent a copy back in May...or that the ELCA's clipping service didn't send them a copy. But who knows?
The news release on the ELCA data didn't happen until August 5 which was the basis for our news release.

http://www.publicreligion.org/blog/index.php?s=ELCA
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Steverem

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2009, 12:24:53 AM »

The news release on the ELCA data didn't happen until August 5 which was the basis for our news release.

http://www.publicreligion.org/blog/index.php?s=ELCA

And, as been pointed out earlier, the group that released the study was not exactly an impartial observer.  It seems pretty clear that they wanted this released right before the assembly, and the ELCA News Service went along with it, without looking at the possible motives of the researchers (or possibly tacitly endorsing those motives).  I mean, most of us here aren't media, and we saw the red flags, and found the conflicts of interest pretty quickly.