Author Topic: Mum is the word - Why you don't post  (Read 6613 times)

BPWandrey

Mum is the word - Why you don't post
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:14:38 PM »
There seem to be at least two kinds of people, broadly defined, who frequent this Forum: 1) Those who post a couple of times a day and 2) those who post a couple of times a year (if not less). I boast a .598 posts per day statistic. That probably falls somewhere in the middle. Others post 5 or more a day while others probably haven't posted at all.

This thread is for those who don't post that much or at all (this means you will have to come out of hiding to answer  8)). Why? What persuades you on a daily basis to not type your opinion and hit "post"?

For me, while I do log a little over .5 posts a day, I normally refrain from posting for these reasons:

1) I have nothing to say
2) Someone has already said what I was going to say
3) I have something to say but it wouldn't be nice to say it
4) The thread is so far gone (drift and ad hominems) that it is best to steer clear
6) I'm not interested in what is being discussed

I obviously post at times for good reasons, but not always. So, how about you?

Harvey_Mozolak

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
Re: Mum is the word - Why you don't post
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 06:08:55 AM »
I dont no how to use spelcheck and my gram mum is not well at all.  Harvey Mozolak
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

BPWandrey

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »
I received these comments in reference to this thread from someone who prefers to remain anonymous at this time. Their thoughts are still quite valid and interesting.

Dear Bryce:
You cannot possibly be spending time on the Forum website and be seriously asking why "some" of us post rarely, if at all!!  In the last two days alone, I have caught my breath at the way in which some of the "regulars" communicate with each other.  I am astounded at the rudeness, sarcasm, and pot-shots placed in writing for all to see.  And, as much as I may have opinions I would like to share, between being a former seminarian, a female, and just too dog-gone polite to mix it up with some of these boys, I intend to keep quiet.

While I was in seminary it was not a good idea to put anything in writing one did not want to have to defend before the Candidacy Committee.  Thankfully that is not a concern any longer, but I am entirely too content in my present life to engage in verbal brawling -- even if over matters of theology, polity, and morality!

revjagow

• Proverbs 9:8-9
    • View Profile
    • Article 7
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 12:31:57 PM »
Time.
Soli Deo Gloria!

Mark Anderson

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 05:08:46 PM »
Previous statements by others:

"In the last two days alone, I have caught my breath at the way in which some of the "regulars" communicate with each other.  I am astounded at the rudeness, sarcasm, and pot-shots placed in writing for all to see.  And, as much as I may have opinions I would like to share .  .  .  [I am] just too dog-gone polite to mix it up with some of these boys, I intend to keep quiet."

"Time."

Yes, that about covers it.  :( Once in a while I'll send personal messages offline if I think a poster might honestly be interested in what I have to say, but I dread the remarks that might issue from some of the regulars.
Okay - should I push "post" or erase these sentences?

ddrebes

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 11:42:36 PM »
I've been lurking for three weeks, and this seemed like a decent topic for a first post!

And my problem with any message board is that there's no way to indicate that I'm interested in what's being said without adding my own redundant comment to the mix.  In a coffee shop, with friends, I nod or make eye contact with the speaker while I listen.  What's the equivalent here?

ghp

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »
The aforementioned time, along with a strong dollop of topic. Actually, if I'm honest, the topic drives it more than the time.

Timing is also a factor, even when the topic interests me. Sometimes, I'll get involved & in the flow of a topic for a bit, and then I "step away" for a while, and the timing just isn't right to get back in later. It's odd how that works sometimes.

TravisW

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »
1. Time

2.  I write a post, re-read it, and figure that it's really bringing nothing new to the thread or that nobody will bother to read it.  I then delete it. 

Rev. Christopher Jackson

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »
At 25 posts and .166 posts per day, I guess I am qualified to speak to this.

Here are my reasons for not posting:

1)  The high level of commitment by some of the regulars here makes it hard to break into conversation.  If you only have time to post a few paragraphs now and then, it is hard to break in when others are posting multiple and huge messages.

2)  Seeing as these pages are open for observation to people who are not registered, one has to be sure that he knows what he's talking about, that he wants his opinion to be publicly known throughout the world, and that he is not coming off wrong to any number of people.  That's a pretty high standard to hold one's posting to.

3)  The tone and way that arguments progress around here.  I suppose that I could just leave it at that, but while I am on the topic, I might as well say something that bugs me about this board:  uneven moderation.  It is my perspective that certain issues and persons get different reactions from moderators and in an unfair way.  I'll leave the issues alone, but I will discuss the persons.  It seems that certain people get rather strict moderation when they get out of line.  Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it also seems that there are a few "protected personalities" here who can say whatever they want with nary a comment from the moderators.  I would say that the tone could really improve around here if some of these people were moderated a little more closely.

racin_jason

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 09:15:44 PM »
I raised the topic of this thread a while ago on the thread "Correcting Eachother".  The most helpful reply there came from a member named "dkeener", who wriote:

I think that it would be helpful to ask why so many "lurk" rather than "contribute".  I can only answer for myself.

1. In many ways this forum functions as a small group for those who post often. The nice thing about small groups is that they are relatively safe and those on the inside become comfortable enough with each other to throw those friendly barbs. (OK maybe not always friendly). The problem with small groups is that they are not always easy to enter. If you are an outsider you kind of feel like you are interrupting a family dinner. And the truth is I'm not all that interested in becoming a part of a small group (or NCD triad). I'm also not interested in all of the topics and of the topics that I am interested in, my opinions are usually not strong enough to motivate me to post. And generally the ones I do post are ignored. (I admit that this could be a reflection of the quality of my posts)

2. Frustration over the highjacking of topics. I don't have a strong opinion on everything but occasionally there is something that does interest me and I would like to hear more. The problem is that so often by page two or three the posts have gone so off topic that I quickly lose interest.

3. The bickering between certain "frequent contributors"  does get old after a while - I refer you back to the topic of this thread.

My thoughts to your question, some of which echoes what has already been said:
+ It takes a lot of time just reading the what has been said, let alone composing a reply.

+ Often times, if I wait to post, somebody else will say what I was going to say anyway.

+  A thoughtful, well-reasoned post often gets ignored, while a blatently antagonistic post receives lots of attention...talk about rewarding bad behavior. Is there no justice?

+ Many of the topics are, well, boring.  I've been tempted to create a "THIS TOPIC IS DEAD" graphic, a stamp declaring it no longer viably entertaining reading, but that would only add fuel to the discussion.

+In the history of this forum, there have been some frequent posters for whom I am glad they are frequent posters (Wyoming Brian, the LCMS-gang, and the rest).  But from time to time, there will be the character who passes through here who is compelled to comment every hour on the hour, seemingly at the expense of their flesh-and-blood relationships.  Instead of looking in the mirror and asking "what have I become?" they lay post upon post until they flameout.  I don't want to turn into one of those people. 

+I take no issues with the moderators. Some moderators are even a little too agressive, such as Charles Austin's enforcing the "no-promoting-of-Concordia-products" rule.
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

Charles_Austin

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 09:25:54 PM »
Racin jason writes:
+I take no issues with the moderators. Some moderators are even a little too agressive, such as Charles Austin's enforcing the "no-promoting-of-Concordia-products" rule.

I comment:
Whoa! And double whoa! I am not, repeat not a moderator. And I would object if an employee of any publishing house came on board here and started dozens of meetings (some of them read-only) promoting their products.

iowakatie1981

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 10:07:42 PM »
While I was in seminary it was not a good idea to put anything in writing one did not want to have to defend before the Candidacy Committee. 

Bingo!  And I don't even have a candidacy committee!

But I am a student at an ELCA seminary.  And my presiding bishop made it quite clear in a speech from the pulpit on campus this fall that I am not welcome in his church.  So until I figure out where to go instead, I generally keep my mouth shut. 

revklak

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:11:55 PM »
I've been lurking for three weeks, and this seemed like a decent topic for a first post!

And my problem with any message board is that there's no way to indicate that I'm interested in what's being said without adding my own redundant comment to the mix.  In a coffee shop, with friends, I nod or make eye contact with the speaker while I listen.  What's the equivalent here?

Well, there are a few ways to make eye contact:

:)  = I'm listening

;)  = I getcha, Joe six-pack

:D  = I can't believe you think THAT!

;D  = I remember my first (beer, brat, lutefisk, or whatever you want to enter here)

>:(  = What'cho talkin bout, Willis?

:(  = I don't know anything about that

:o  = He said WHAT?

8)  =  I knew that

???  = Dude, where's my car?

::)  = Yeah, that's really interesting...

:P  = That's what I think about that

:-[  = I can't believe I got deleted by the moderator

:-X  = I can't tell you that, or I'd have to kill you

:-\  = What am I doing here?

:-*  = I love you, but I'm gonna have to make fun of ya!

:'(  =  Should I answer him/her and get into another useless cyber-debate??/

Those are just some options for non-verbal communication of your deeper thoughts!

Rev. 0.796 Posts-Per-Day   :P

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:15:49 PM by revklak »

Ken Kimball

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 11:17:21 PM »
While I was in seminary it was not a good idea to put anything in writing one did not want to have to defend before the Candidacy Committee. 

Bingo!  And I don't even have a candidacy committee!

But I am a student at an ELCA seminary.  And my presiding bishop made it quite clear in a speech from the pulpit on campus this fall that I am not welcome in his church.  So until I figure out where to go instead, I generally keep my mouth shut. 

Yeah but we still want you with us in the ELCA Katie! 

Ken Kimball 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:19:48 PM by Ken Kimball »

Charles_Austin

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 11:19:30 PM »
iowakatie writes:
And my presiding bishop made it quite clear in a speech from the pulpit  on campus this fall that I am not welcome in his church.

I ask:
In what way? Can you provide some specifics? (And it is not the presiding bishop who decides whether a person can be ordained or not.)