Author Topic: Brett Favre plays QB - a test  (Read 3106 times)

Keith Falk

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Brett Favre plays QB - a test
« on: September 10, 2008, 02:10:51 AM »
My assertion:  Brett Favre plays quarterback.

10 posts from now, I fully expect the following to happen:

Brian S. will explain why Brett Favre does not, in fact, play quarterback, because if one were to examine the origins of the word "quarterback"...
Bsp. Benke will use a German word to describe a characteristic of Favre, while playfully tweaking swbohler by paranthetically including the English translation (just for him!)
Fill-In-The-Blank (could be any number of folks) will decry the fact that the ELCA supports the use of artifical turf (since playing on grass is harmful to the environment), because the ELCA should NOT talk about the environment
Erma W. will call everyone back to the original posting, "Brett Favre plays quarterback" with a well-measured thoughtful response, calling for calm and reason.
Charles A. will applaud Erma's sentiment, then unreasonably (though accurately) correct the spelling, grammar, and punctuation of Fill-In-The-Blank's post
Will W. will quote a Church Father who described the beauty of a perfectly thrown spiral on a cool autumn Monday evening on... a grass field.
George E. will wonder why the NFL has not started a mass-market media campaign to get more people to games.
Many will then proceed to argue that the best way to get people to games is through a personal invitation.
Keith F. will try to direct folks away from the endless back-and-forth argument of grass v. artifical turf (thread drift!  remember, this is about Brett Favre plays quarterback!) where all the posters respond in predictable, like-clockwwork ways.

And, of course...

Paul M. will inform us that CPH has a wonderful book about Brett Favre which is due out in October.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 02:12:38 AM by Keith Falk »
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Keith Falk

• View Profile
Re: Brett Favre plays QB - a test
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 02:14:32 AM »
Hopefully, everyone mentioned here will take it in the way it was written... just for fun.  2:00 AM, having trouble sleeping, and after reading thread after thread with the same folks responding in the same ways... I just couldn't help myself.  Enjoy!
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Dadoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 07:29:50 AM »

Brian S. will explain why Brett Favre does not, in fact, play quarterback, because if one were to examine the origins of the word "quarterback"...
Bsp. Benke will use a German word to describe a characteristic of Favre, while playfully tweaking swbohler by paranthetically including the English translation (just for him!)
Fill-In-The-Blank (could be any number of folks) will decry the fact that the ELCA supports the use of artifical turf (since playing on grass is harmful to the environment), because the ELCA should NOT talk about the environment
Erma W. will call everyone back to the original posting, "Brett Favre plays quarterback" with a well-measured thoughtful response, calling for calm and reason.
Charles A. will applaud Erma's sentiment, then unreasonably (though accurately) correct the spelling, grammar, and punctuation of Fill-In-The-Blank's post
Will W. will quote a Church Father who described the beauty of a perfectly thrown spiral on a cool autumn Monday evening on... a grass field.
George E. will wonder why the NFL has not started a mass-market media campaign to get more people to games.
Many will then proceed to argue that the best way to get people to games is through a personal invitation.
Keith F. will try to direct folks away from the endless back-and-forth argument of grass v. artifical turf (thread drift!  remember, this is about Brett Favre plays quarterback!) where all the posters respond in predictable, like-clockwwork ways.

And, of course...

Paul M. will inform us that CPH has a wonderful book about Brett Favre which is due out in October.

You forgot to mention that Sc ott Y. is going to share the chapter on The Importance of Artificial Turf in CHristian Proclamation from his upcoming thesis
Peter Kruse

Diversity and tolerance are very complex concepts. Rigid conformity is needed to ensure their full realization. - Mike Adams

Scott5

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 07:41:36 AM »

And, of course...

You forgot to mention that Sc ott Y. is going to share the chapter on The Importance of Artificial Turf in CHristian Proclamation from his upcoming thesis

Well, I think that I would include the opposite.  You see, natural turf is what our Lord talks about in Scripture, emphasizing the ephemeral nature of life.  But it's not just that life is like a wisp of smoke that quickly passes, but so is our desire for God's presence among us, an ardent desire in combination with an equally ardent fear, the fear of a God who, when he reveals Himself, burns on the mountain such that any who touch it would die except for His chosen mediator.  This, of course, is backed up by Jewish midrash in Song of Songs Rabba, where the first line of the Song begins "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth..." and was pronounced at Sinai where the Jewish people desire the kiss, the Words, the Law that comes from the very mouth of God, but immediately afterwards plead for a mediator to intercede between them and the terrifying presence of the Lord.  This continues today as the words of the sages exchanged are recognized by God as being rightly uttered, even when in error, as truly encompassing the desire for the Lord's kiss.  Yet, alas, like the natural grass, the ardent desire continually does give way to fear and forgetfulness, and our comprehending the mystery of life with God -- nay, even more, our actually participating in life with God holistically, with everything we are and have been and will be -- fades as we go back to our mundane lives.  The grass does truly wither, and we are no more than grass before our Lord.

Artificial turf, on the other hand, is sheer blasphemy.

Hope this helps.

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »

Feel free to add more - you and anyone else.  We have some very creative folks on this board - just see Sc ott Y's opening paragraph of his paper regarding artifical turf and grass.   ;D
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 10:55:35 AM »
This, of course, is backed up by Jewish midrash in Song of Songs Rabba, where the first line of the Song begins "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth..."
Of course somebody had to bring in sex.

Before too long, Hitler and the Nazis will show up, too.

We live in predictable times.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Dadoo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »

And, of course...

Well, I think that I would include the opposite.  You see, natural turf is what our Lord talks about in Scripture, emphasizing the ephemeral nature of life.  But it's not just that life is like a wisp of smoke that quickly passes, but so is our desire for God's presence among us, an ardent desire in combination with an equally ardent fear, the fear of a God who, when he reveals Himself, burns on the mountain such that any who touch it would die except for His chosen mediator.  This, of course, is backed up by Jewish midrash in Song of Songs Rabba, where the first line of the Song begins "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth..." and was pronounced at Sinai where the Jewish people desire the kiss, the Words, the Law that comes from the very mouth of God, but immediately afterwards plead for a mediator to intercede between them and the terrifying presence of the Lord.  This continues today as the words of the sages exchanged are recognized by God as being rightly uttered, even when in error, as truly encompassing the desire for the Lord's kiss.  Yet, alas, like the natural grass, the ardent desire continually does give way to fear and forgetfulness, and our comprehending the mystery of life with God -- nay, even more, our actually participating in life with God holistically, with everything we are and have been and will be -- fades as we go back to our mundane lives.  The grass does truly wither, and we are no more than grass before our Lord.

Artificial turf, on the other hand, is sheer blasphemy.

Hope this helps.

ROTFL  PIP   :D
Peter Kruse

Diversity and tolerance are very complex concepts. Rigid conformity is needed to ensure their full realization. - Mike Adams

MSchimmel

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »

revjagow

• Proverbs 9:8-9
    • View Profile
    • Article 7
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 04:17:11 PM »

And, of course...

ROTFLOL!!!!!

Oh, this definitely needs to go on page one too!!

Well done, Keith! 
Soli Deo Gloria!

pr dtp

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »

And, of course...

ROTFLOL!!!!!

Oh, this definitely needs to go on page one too!!

Well done, Keith! 

And since this topic has been dormant, and we are approaching the preseason - it is time to vomit it back up again.

I hope that Minnesota signs Favre, he gets into the superbowl, gets severe heartburn and AP runs for 375 yards and wins the MVP

Erme Wolf

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »
   The topic was Brett Favre plays quarterback, remember? 

However, is a quarterback still a quarterback, even when he is not currently under contract and has indeed retired?  When he decides to come back, does he have to be reinstated as a quarterback, even take colloquy work in remedial quarterbacking under the training of the coaches of another team, in order to be recognized once again as a quarterback?  Or do we recognize "once a quarterback, always a quarterback?" 

The Minnesota Vikings seem to think that this former quarterback, but not yet a Vikings quarterback, needs a trial period to determine if the essence of "quarterback" is still with Favre. 

I expect jpetty and Brian S. to disagree with me. 

Lou should be concerned that the "pigskin" is genuine, in order to support the hog futures market.

Erma+

edoughty

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 09:10:58 PM »
I believe Mr. Favre is not signed with any particular pro team.  So "plays" is only correct insofar as he either (a) returns to professional football, (b) practices for such, or (c) plays football in a non-pro capacity.

This is supported by my reading of the texts.  ;)

Erik

George Erdner

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 09:40:19 PM »
Until recently, my only experience with marketing NFL teams was in Pittsburgh, where there is a waiting list of several decades for season tickets. Every Steeler home game has been a sell-out since the early 1970's. In most other cities, all home games are also sell-outs. Therefore, there is no need for the NFL to attempt to sell tickets to games, since there are only a limited number of teams who have extra tickets to sell.

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 10:10:44 PM »
Until recently, my only experience with marketing NFL teams was in Pittsburgh, where there is a waiting list of several decades for season tickets. Every Steeler home game has been a sell-out since the early 1970's. In most other cities, all home games are also sell-outs. Therefore, there is no need for the NFL to attempt to sell tickets to games, since there are only a limited number of teams who have extra tickets to sell.

Now who is nitpicking?   ;D ;D
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 10:52:54 PM »
This, of course, is backed up by Jewish midrash in Song of Songs Rabba, where the first line of the Song begins "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth..."
Of course somebody had to bring in sex.

Before too long, Hitler and the Nazis will show up, too.

We live in predictable times.

Well, of course, artificial turf was invented by the Nazis under Hitler's direct supervision.   

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS