Author Topic: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists  (Read 93909 times)

Steven Tibbetts

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists
« Reply #270 on: November 03, 2010, 07:52:57 PM »

The parade is this morning at 11:00, Left-coast time.  KTVU-2 will be streaming: http://www.ktvu.com/video/25618491/index.html

Wait a minute -- isn't KTVU in Oakland?
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

SmithL

« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2010, 09:09:21 PM »

The parade is this morning at 11:00, Left-coast time.  KTVU-2 will be streaming: http://www.ktvu.com/video/25618491/index.html
Wait a minute -- isn't KTVU in Oakland?

Yeah, but the Giants had a much better party than the A's this year.

SmithL

« Reply #272 on: November 03, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
I watched the streaming video and did not notice any pink parasols for this San Francisco celebration.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #273 on: November 04, 2010, 08:57:10 AM »
KOD - Kiss of Death - award to Sports Illustrated, with mid-season NFL picks.  They have the Jets beating the Steelers to go to the Super Bowl in the AFC, and the Packers beating the Giants to go to the Super Bowl in the NFC.  And they have the Packers winning the whole enchilada.  Now it will never happen.

Dave Benke

Steverem

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 04, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »
KOD - Kiss of Death - award to Sports Illustrated, with mid-season NFL picks.  They have the Jets beating the Steelers to go to the Super Bowl in the AFC, and the Packers beating the Giants to go to the Super Bowl in the NFC.  And they have the Packers winning the whole enchilada.  Now it will never happen.

Dave Benke

So, should I take encouragement that SI hasn't picked my Bengals to win anything?

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 04, 2010, 01:52:10 PM »
Not in this thread.

;)
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Kurt Weinelt

• Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 04, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »
Unless you think the Bengals could play baseball better than they do football, which is entirely possible. ;)
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #277 on: November 07, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »
Packers/Dallas point spread is 8, at Lambeau.  With three being given for the home field, that means the gaming folks believe Dallas is only five points worse than the Packers.  Peter and SW and I say give the points and take the Pack, although as clergy we are not permitted to engage in sports gambling.  The lovely sight of cheeseheads shouting "Go, Pack, Go" in Hackensack last Sunday in the 4th quarter should be overtaken by the sight of 70000 green/gold beerschwiefelers lifting their hole-y hats in hallelujah on national TV tonight.

Dave Benke

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 07, 2010, 07:19:28 PM »
BASEBALL. BASEBALL. >:(
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

pr dtp

« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2010, 07:23:19 PM »
Packers/Dallas point spread is 8, at Lambeau.  With three being given for the home field, that means the gaming folks believe Dallas is only five points worse than the Packers.  Peter and SW and I say give the points and take the Pack, although as clergy we are not permitted to engage in sports gambling.  The lovely sight of cheeseheads shouting "Go, Pack, Go" in Hackensack last Sunday in the 4th quarter should be overtaken by the sight of 70000 green/gold beerschwiefelers lifting their hole-y hats in hallelujah on national TV tonight.

Dave Benke

I'll take the points.... let's see...friendly wager... if you lose Bishop - you have to wear a Red SOx Cap and a Celtics shirt at your next community event?

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 07, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »
BASEBALL!!!! You want to talk football, go over to that frivolous thread!
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

pr dtp

« Reply #281 on: November 07, 2010, 07:45:15 PM »
BASEBALL!!!! You want to talk football, go over to that frivolous thread!

There hasn't been anything in baseball to talk about since Yaz retired....

Same thing for hockey since Orr, Esposito, Hodges, Bucyk, and Cashman retired...

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 23, 2010, 03:20:23 PM »
90 things to love about Stan Musial, on the occasion of his upcoming 90th birthday:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_12a02ef7-b9d3-5cec-91f8-843d44412f13.html

As an appetizer, here are the comments from pitchers:

11 • Hall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax: "In my rookie year, I got my first chance to face Stan Musial. I also gave up my first home run. The two events are not unrelated."

42 • Dodgers pitcher Carl Erskine was once so frustrated by his inability to get The Man out that he wrote a song called "The Stan Musial Blues." Erskine was asked how to pitch to Musial: "I've had pretty good success with Stan by throwing him my best pitch and backing up third," he said.

48 • Pitcher Don Newcombe: "I could have rolled the ball up there to Musial, and he would have pulled out a golf club and hit it out."

58 • Preacher Roe on how to pitch to Musial: "I throw him four wide ones and try to pick him off first base."

Happy birthday, Stan.

Mike Bennett

“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

ptmccain

« Reply #283 on: December 03, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »
Love it.

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 03, 2010, 05:25:29 PM »
Progress on Chicago's south side:  Pierzinski and Ramirez signed; Adam Dunn signed out of free agency; tendered Paul Konerko and awaiting his exploration of the free agent market.  Confident that Paulie will do the right thing, thoughts of Spring Training are warming my heart even in early December.  :)

Mike Bennett
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22