Author Topic: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists  (Read 93900 times)

Mike Gehlhausen

Re: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists
« Reply #300 on: March 31, 2011, 09:48:13 AM »
[snip], but I avoid the American League on moral grounds. My conscience is bound to oppose the Designated Hitter rule--it's blasphemous to the game (for us true believers, at least)! ;)
+1.  The true traditionalist/revisionist divide.  I applaud your steadfastness.  As it saith from the Bible official rules, in the beginning:
1.01  Baseball is a game between two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, played on an enclosed field in accordance with these rules, under jurisdiction of one or more umpires.
I don't care what else has been tacked on at the end as apocryphal.   ;)

Well, I guess I can take some solace in the fact that my bound conscience leads me to believe the DH is wrong even though my church body, oops, team supports it. 

Besides, I don't know anywhere in the official rules of baseball that says I need mark and avoid it if its traditional rules are revised.  ;)

But if they ever adopt that silly idea of a home run derby to settle a game which gets proposed from time to time because soccer and hockey have adopted shootouts, well, then I might abandon baseball as having been unrevocably adulterated and preaching a different Gospel playing a different game.

Mike

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #301 on: March 31, 2011, 10:07:51 AM »
Is there a gender clause in the Rules of Baseball?  I'm thinking not. 

My first effort as a playwright was in the fifth grade, transcribing for the stage a short story about a girl who was good enough to play in little league, but couldn't get in due to an unwritten rule against girls.  So she hits the game-winning home run, slides into the plate and is safe, but her cap flies off and she has a pony-tail, and all is revealed.  The ending is she is carried off the field victorious. 

I also grew up in Milwaukee playing ball as a kid with more than a few tomboy girls who could really hit the old horsehide.

Dave Benke

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #302 on: March 31, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »
Is there a gender clause in the Rules of Baseball?  I'm thinking not. 

No, there is not even though Major League Baseball itself permits only males to play.  I don't know whether there is any age limit either.  Both considerations are matters particular to MLB and not the official rules of baseball itself.

Did the writers of the "Bad News Bears" movie rip off your concept?  ;)

Mike

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #303 on: March 31, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »
Did the writers of the "Bad News Bears" movie rip off your concept?  ;)

Pr. Benke,

When I wrote this, the thread was fairly active, and I was just busting your chops a little.

The inactivity since makes the comment seem like more of an attack, and it was not meant that way.

Mike

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #304 on: April 06, 2011, 08:14:21 AM »
Texas Rangers off to a 5-0 start!  Yes!!

Mike

Kurt Weinelt

• Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 06, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »
Texas Rangers off to a 5-0 start!  Yes!!
Mike
I have to admit (with a profound sense of guilt ;)) that I have been enjoying watching the Rangers playing excellent revisionist American League baseball.
Bring on the Yankees! ;D
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #306 on: April 06, 2011, 01:06:33 PM »
NO harm no foul, Mike.  Or, no foul no harm.

There was interplay here in NYC after the Mets first game involving an April Fools' Joke almost gone sour.  The Mets lost that one to Florida on April 1.  It turns out the show Family Guy (Peter Griffin) had a punchline at the expense of the Mets in which the announcer in the cartoon is heard going "And that's the end of the first game for the Mets.  The Mets lose.............and................... the season is over."  And they played half of it on TV after that game here in NY - which would have been a very cruel thing to say to the Wilpons, much less the Mets shrinking fan base.  So it became a little controversy.

But ................since then, we've won the next three games.  Hope springs eternal.  And I'll be at Opening Day.  And it's easy to get good tix and cheaper tix to the Mets this year.

Dave Benke

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #307 on: April 07, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »
Opening Day!!
Can't think of when I've been less enthused about it. Such is life for a "LAstros" fan.

Rangers 6-0.

Astros 0-5.

Almost enough to make a Texan go revisionist, eh?  :D

Mike

grabau14

« Reply #308 on: April 07, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »
Here's the Family Guy bit on the Mets-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ouKahUcgU

Sadly the O's lost their first game :(.

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #309 on: April 07, 2011, 10:09:53 AM »
Here's the Family Guy bit on the Mets-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ouKahUcgU

Sadly the O's lost their first game :(.

I agree. It is sad.  :(

Texas would have liked to have the honor of handing the O's their first defeat this weekend.  ;)

Mike

frluther1517

« Reply #310 on: April 07, 2011, 11:14:40 AM »
All I can say is my Cubbies are .500.  Life is good. 

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #311 on: April 07, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »
Astros won today to go to 1-5, but the BoSox didn't.

They're 0-6.  Where's ESPN and their predictions anointing the Red Sox World Series champions now?  :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview/2011/news/story?page=11expertpicks

Mike

FatherWilliam57

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 08, 2011, 01:15:05 AM »
The Pirates are 4-3!  (Wonder how long before they pull the rug out from under themselves this year?)  Be still my foolish (yet ever hopeful) heart....
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
Interim Pastor, St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Evans City, PA
"Put on the whole armor of God."

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #313 on: April 08, 2011, 08:08:51 AM »
The Pirates are 4-3!  (Wonder how long before they pull the rug out from under themselves this year?)  Be still my foolish (yet ever hopeful) heart....

Wow, 7 games so far, and they are playing this weekend too.

Did the schedule-makers decide not to give them any days off this year?

Mike

ptom

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • The Lord Be Withee
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 08, 2011, 10:31:57 AM »
All I can say is my Cubbies are .500.  Life is good. 

That is until they come to Miller Park this weekend and lose to the Brewers (who are on a three game winning streak)

Tom Myhre
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.