Author Topic: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists  (Read 93918 times)

Jeremy Loesch

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists
« Reply #285 on: December 03, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »
But a bad day for north siders.  RIP Ron Santo.

Jeremy (Go Cards)
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

SteveS

« Reply #286 on: December 15, 2010, 06:52:32 AM »
So Cliff Lee turns down an extra $50 million and the Yankees.  Good for him.  But did he have to go back to the Phillies!  Didn't they have enough starting pitching already!

President Benke, can't you use your authority as Bishop to do something about this!  Looks like another bad year for the Mets.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #287 on: December 15, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
All of Queens is in mourning today.  The thought of the second-worst thing happening, Cliff Lee signing with the Yankees, has been replaced by the worst possible eventuality, Cliff Lee signing with the Phillies, whom the Mets must face 19 times during the regular season.  How can this happen during the week named "Rejoice?"  There is no joy in Metsville/ mighty Cliff Lee is a Phil.  Cole Hamels is the #4 guy in that rotation.  The Mets #2,3 and 4 guys all have the same name - T.B.D. - to be determined.  Looks like I'll be playing lots of golf.

Dave Benke

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 15, 2010, 05:06:06 PM »
As a die-hard Met fan, the Isaianic texts of eschatological deliverance speak very near and dear to me.

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2010, 09:36:45 PM »
God will come with his recompense.  He will come and He will save.  And He will look like Charlie Manuel.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

SKPeterson

« Reply #290 on: December 16, 2010, 08:12:05 AM »
Bob Feller, the Heater from Van Meter, and Cleveland Indians great, passed away yesterday.  RIP

And read this obit: http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/12/16/rip-bob-feller/.  It's applicable in many ways to the discussion on the Boys and Men thread.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:28:49 AM by SKPeterson »

Kurt Weinelt

• Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 16, 2010, 10:01:45 AM »
So Cliff Lee turns down an extra $50 million and the Yankees.  Good for him.  But did he have to go back to the Phillies!  Didn't they have enough starting pitching already!
When he pays his state income taxes in the future, someone needs to remind him that in Texas we are civilized and do NOT LEVY STATE INCOME TAX! That is why many enlightened athlete-millionaires take less money to play in our fair state.
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

SKPeterson

« Reply #292 on: December 16, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
So Cliff Lee turns down an extra $50 million and the Yankees.  Good for him.  But did he have to go back to the Phillies!  Didn't they have enough starting pitching already!
When he pays his state income taxes in the future, someone needs to remind him that in Texas we are civilized and do NOT LEVY STATE INCOME TAX! That is why many enlightened athlete-millionaires take less money to play in our fair state.

The Rangers (and the Yankees) offered Lee more money than Philly period.

Average by year does not matter.  Unlike the NFL, if you sign a multi-year contract, you get the whole pile even if they drop you from the roster. Sometimes even if they trade you; the Rangers just settled up with ARod despite having traded him to Yankees for some money relief years ago.

Cliff Lee apparently wanted to return to Philly.  Philly apparently wanted him back.  Why they traded him last year I don't know and have not checked. Perhaps they thought getting Halladay and Oswalt, they figured they did not need him so much.

Mike

I can understand not wanting to go to the Yankees, but this tells me Lee didn't have the confidence that the Rangers would put together a stellar pitching crew.  Those losses he took due to poor relief may have soured him long term, even though they went to the Big Game.  Even with Nolan Ryan at the helm, the Rangers still seem to have difficulty in putting together a consistent, reliable starting rotation and bullpen.  It's the most frustrating thing being a fan - big bats, good gloves, inconsistent pitching.  The names change, but the formula remains the same. :(

Kurt Weinelt

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 16, 2010, 10:32:03 AM »
I can understand not wanting to go to the Yankees, but this tells me Lee didn't have the confidence that the Rangers would put together a stellar pitching crew.  Those losses he took due to poor relief may have soured him long term, even though they went to the Big Game.  Even with Nolan Ryan at the helm, the Rangers still seem to have difficulty in putting together a consistent, reliable starting rotation and bullpen.  It's the most frustrating thing being a fan - big bats, good gloves, inconsistent pitching.  The names change, but the formula remains the same. :(
I think things look pretty good for the Rangers next year; but then again, I am comparing them to my team, the Astros. :P
Kurt
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

Dan_Biles

« Reply #294 on: December 16, 2010, 10:51:01 AM »
So Cliff Lee turns down an extra $50 million and the Yankees.  Good for him.  But did he have to go back to the Phillies!  Didn't they have enough starting pitching already!

President Benke, can't you use your authority as Bishop to do something about this!  Looks like another bad year for the Mets.

I called this a year ago, when they traded Lee to Seattle.  Said, "I bet the Phils make a run at Lee when he is a free agent next year."  They waited for the other teams to make their play, then got in the game.  

The thing is, for those of us who grew up suffering with pathetic Phillies teams (I attended one of the games in the 10-loss streak of the collapse of the 1964 Phillies), this is unprecedented.  We've never had an ownership this committed to putting the best team on the field, either thru our own system or free agents or trades.

And who would ever have thought any player would want to come to Philly?

grabau14

« Reply #295 on: January 06, 2011, 05:06:53 PM »
Roberto Alomar made one bad mistake and has owned up to and was forgiven.  Unfortunately Robbie did that as an Oriole during the good playoff years in the 90s.  Alomar was a great 2nd baseman-average, power, speed, gold glove, etc...  It is good to see him get in.

Blyleven is long overdue.

I may be mistaken, but Roberto Alomar is not a Jr. as his older brother is Sandy Alomar Jr.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #296 on: March 31, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »
It will be raining at Yankee Stadium this afternoon, which is a good sign for the Mets fan in me.  And I'll be at National League Opening Day in NYC next Friday for the Mets home opener at Madoff Acres.  With Acela club.  What this means is that if it's doing outside then what it's doing outside now, we can watch or pretend to watch the game while undertaking the various celebratory tasks behind glass in comfort out in the left field foul pole zone.

Dave Benke

Kurt Weinelt

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 31, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »
Opening Day!!
Can't think of when I've been less enthused about it. Such is life for a "LAstros" fan.

I might sneak a peek at the Rangers occasionally, but I avoid the American League on moral grounds. My conscience is bound to oppose the Designated Hitter rule--it's blasphemous to the game (for us true believers, at least)! ;)

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #298 on: March 31, 2011, 09:25:50 AM »
Opening Day!!
Can't think of when I've been less enthused about it. Such is life for a "LAstros" fan.

I might sneak a peek at the Rangers occasionally, but I avoid the American League on moral grounds. My conscience is bound to oppose the Designated Hitter rule--it's blasphemous to the game (for us true believers, at least)! ;)

I consider the DH an adiaphoron which I am personally disposed against, but I accept because my local team uses it.

Kind of like how I consider the use of CCM and a praise band in the Divine Service an adiaphoron which I am personally disposed against, but I accept because my local congregation conducts one of its services that way.  ;)

Mike

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 31, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
[snip], but I avoid the American League on moral grounds. My conscience is bound to oppose the Designated Hitter rule--it's blasphemous to the game (for us true believers, at least)! ;)
+1.  The true traditionalist/revisionist divide.  I applaud your steadfastness.  As it saith from the Bible official rules, in the beginning:
1.01  Baseball is a game between two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, played on an enclosed field in accordance with these rules, under jurisdiction of one or more umpires.
I don't care what else has been tacked on at the end as apocryphal.   ;)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:31:21 AM by MaddogLutheran »
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter