Author Topic: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists  (Read 93912 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2010, 04:27:51 PM »
Gang Green has no leg, loses to Green and Gold on three FG to none.  After Rex Ryan told the Cheeseheads to stay home in the NJ sea of green on TV, I knew the Packers, in our reticent midwestern way would chew them up and spit them out.  Road shut-out.  Nice.

Dave Benke

And RARE! Now we'll see how many functioning legs the Vike QB has.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2010, 11:32:26 PM »
Yeah, we're really getting overconfident now.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

FatherWilliam57

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 01, 2010, 01:06:02 AM »
I see a lot of parallels between the Giants and the ancient Israelites. Lost in the wilderness, the outcasts of the earth, small and despised, rejected of men. Really, you should be rooting for them.

The Giants?  I think you just described the Pirates (18 losing seasons and counting...)
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
Interim Pastor, St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Evans City, PA
"Put on the whole armor of God."

SKPeterson

« Reply #243 on: November 01, 2010, 05:58:43 AM »
Hold yer horses...the Rangers aren't quite dead yet. :o
BTW, isn't it funny that the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Cowboys now both play in a Ft. Worth suburb?
Kurt

Mesquite is a suburb.  Grapevine is a suburb.  Lewisville is a suburb.  At the pace DFW is expanding, Waco, Wichita Falls and Lawton, OK will soon be suburbs.  ;D The DFW area is now about the size of the state of Connecticut. We Arlingtonians/ites, current and former, do not think of ourselves as a suburb of Dallas or Ft. Worth, but we are firmly joined at the hip with Ft. Worth more economically and culturally.  Also, having 400 to 450,000 people, Arlington is no longer a sleepy little bedroom community.  Sadly, now that Arlington is cut-off geographically from expanding, it'll soon technically be inner city. 

olarmy02

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 01, 2010, 06:49:18 AM »
Hold yer horses...the Rangers aren't quite dead yet. :o
BTW, isn't it funny that the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Cowboys now both play in a Ft. Worth suburb?
Kurt

To be fair (and balanced) the Rangers play in Arlington, the Cowboys just show up and collect a check... :-\
Rev. S.P. McMaughan
"there is no distinction between true and false interpretation of scripture without the formation of confession"  Sasse

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2010, 08:04:14 AM »
Vike QB takes one on the chin for the team, which loses anyway.  They ayes of Texas turn to nays on both counts.

Dave Benke

Kurt Weinelt

• Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 01, 2010, 08:34:32 AM »
Mesquite is a suburb.  Grapevine is a suburb.  Lewisville is a suburb.  At the pace DFW is expanding, Waco, Wichita Falls and Lawton, OK will soon be suburbs.  ;D The DFW area is now about the size of the state of Connecticut. We Arlingtonians/ites, current and former, do not think of ourselves as a suburb of Dallas or Ft. Worth, but we are firmly joined at the hip with Ft. Worth more economically and culturally.  Also, having 400 to 450,000 people, Arlington is no longer a sleepy little bedroom community.  Sadly, now that Arlington is cut-off geographically from expanding, it'll soon technically be inner city.
The 1977 Arlington HS graduate I've been married to for 30 years (this month) has always insisted Arlington is a Ft Worth suburb with its own separate city government, though it wouldn't surprise me if Arlington has lost its individuality with sprawling urbanization. The same is happening down here between San Antonio and Austin; New Braunfels has gone from a small German town to an upper middle-class traffic jam. At least they still celebrate Wurstfest! Gotta love progress :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:18:50 AM by Kurt Weinelt »
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

Steverem

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 01, 2010, 10:22:51 AM »
I see a lot of parallels between the Giants and the ancient Israelites. Lost in the wilderness, the outcasts of the earth, small and despised, rejected of men. Really, you should be rooting for them.

The Giants?  I think you just described the Pirates (18 losing seasons and counting...)

Are you suggesting the Pirates have 22 more years of wandering left?

Kurt Weinelt

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 01, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »
There were two good things about last night's World Series game. Unless you don't have a heart, it was a nice moment when the Presidents Bush (accompanied by Nolan Ryan) threw out the first pitch. And even with all the cameras there, Barbara Bush took a snapshot of her boys with her pocket camera.

Second, in a day and age when stars make the national anthem all about themselves instead of repect for the flag and the nation  ::), I loved the simple beauty of Lyle Lovett singing the anthem in a clear tenor voice (sans vocal gymnastics) with only a cello accompaniment. That Aggie set the standard all should follow! After years of standing in military formations and at all manner of ball games, there are few times a performance of the Star Spangled Banner puts that big of a lump in my throat.  Wow! :o
Kurt
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:59:53 PM by Kurt Weinelt »
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 01, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »
I loved the simple beauty of Lyle Lovett singing the anthem in a clear tenor voice (sans vocal gymnastics) with only a cello accomaniment.

It was, indeed, a very classy rendition of our National Anthem.  And fitting that the Presidents Bush, the younger of whom once owned the home team, would throw out the first pitch.  

Pax, Steven+

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:43:43 PM by The Rev. Steven P. Tibbetts, STS »
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Kurt Weinelt

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 01, 2010, 07:04:18 PM »
The Rangers need to win tonight out of respect for their worthy opponents. After all, it would be nicer for the Giants to go home and win in front of their fans.

But just in case, SF fans need to know that if they celebrate in Texas, they will be arrested if they smoke what Willie smokes! ;) (And no, I don't know why Willie gets a free pass on that ???)

Play ball!

olarmy02

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 01, 2010, 07:34:39 PM »
The Rangers need to win tonight out of respect for their worthy opponents. After all, it would be nicer for the Giants to go home and win in front of their fans.

But just in case, SF fans need to know that if they celebrate in Texas, they will be arrested if they smoke what Willie smokes! ;) (And no, I don't know why Willie gets a free pass on that ???)

Play ball!

Because he is Willie.
Rev. S.P. McMaughan
"there is no distinction between true and false interpretation of scripture without the formation of confession"  Sasse

Kurt Weinelt

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 01, 2010, 07:44:03 PM »
Because he is Willie.
And his habit is harmless. Is he on wife #6 yet, or is he still with #5? :o

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 01, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »
I loved the simple beauty of Lyle Lovett singing the anthem in a clear tenor voice (sans vocal gymnastics) with only a cello accomaniment.

It was, indeed, a very classy rendition of our National Anthem.  And fitting that the Presidents Bush, the younger of whom once owned the home team, would throw out the first pitch.  

Pax, Steven+

Yes, it was classy. Can't say as much for tonight's rendition.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Kurt Weinelt

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 01, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »

Yes, it was classy. Can't say as much for tonight's rendition.
Only one nice performance per series. It's in the rule book. :-\
Kurt