Author Topic: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists  (Read 93905 times)

Mike Gehlhausen

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists
« Reply #1230 on: August 26, 2020, 12:52:17 PM »
The NY Yankees play a doubleheader today in Atlanta
They will play a doubleheader with the Mets on Friday and Sunday
This means they will play 7 games in 4 days with an off day on Thursday.
This is why the injuries keep adding for teams plus the Covid19 issues.
MLB should have cancelled the season, this 60 game season is a joke.
Plus, it completely kills the pitching rotation. If you get to play a team whose pitchers have all had to pitch in the previous series, you’re almost guaranteed to win at least two out three, especially if you’re coming off a bunch of Covid cancellations.

These are good points.  That is indeed a ridiculous schedule, and I would appeal to MLB if I were the Yankees.  If they don't appeal, then I'm assuming being able to play is important enough to them and their fans.  They could also forfeit the games to save their players.  That sort of schedule is going to cause some losses as it is.

MLB probably should not have tried for a season.  That's true enough.  The delays; the COVID cancellations; and now the damage wreaked on schedules to make up for those cancellations all argue for that.  There were only half-hearted attempts to look into some sort of "bubble" situation such as the NBA and NHL are succeeding with.

Since the NFL is not planning to do a "bubble" situation, I hope they are learning lessons from the MLB's problems.  It might be smart to think about how cancellations might affect team schedules.  It might also be smart to extend the length of the expected season and build in some additional bye weeks.

That's what I think MLB should do.  Extend the season a few weeks to avoid situations like this and be able to make up games.  This can provide for additional rest for teams that don't have COVID problems and be able to more easily accommodate COVID problems for the teams that may still have them.

But even if the attempt at the season ended today, I'm still glad to have seen some baseball.

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 26, 2020, 02:38:52 PM »
I'm concerned for myriad "little" affected by all this. The big names, the players, team owners will come out of even a canceled season intact. The stadium workers, concessionaires, bars, restaurants, and businesses around the stadiums have far fewer resources to weather a shutdown.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Mike Gehlhausen

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 17, 2020, 07:13:35 AM »
I'm concerned for myriad "little" affected by all this. The big names, the players, team owners will come out of even a canceled season intact. The stadium workers, concessionaires, bars, restaurants, and businesses around the stadiums have far fewer resources to weather a shutdown.

The LA Dodgers clinched the first playoff spot yesterday for this abbreviated MLB season.  Not a big deal since there are 8 spots open for the National League.

Restaurants and businesses around the ballparks have been making some recovery as many are now open at reduced capacities.  Fans meet there since they can't attend the games.

The MLB playoff will be at single sites for each league's playoff games and then a single site for the World Series.  This will reduce risk from travel.  There is some talk that limited fan attendance may be allowed which should help the concessionaires.  Not certain the vendors will benefit though.

It looks as if sports is making itself back from COVID-19 as protocols are put into place.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 17, 2020, 08:54:32 AM »

The LA Dodgers clinched the first playoff spot yesterday for this abbreviated MLB season.  Not a big deal since there are 8 spots open for the National League.

Restaurants and businesses around the ballparks have been making some recovery as many are now open at reduced capacities.  Fans meet there since they can't attend the games.

The MLB playoff will be at single sites for each league's playoff games and then a single site for the World Series.  This will reduce risk from travel.  There is some talk that limited fan attendance may be allowed which should help the concessionaires.  Not certain the vendors will benefit though.

It looks as if sports is making itself back from COVID-19 as protocols are put into place.

NBA rating are drastically down: https://itsgame7.com/nba-ratings-fall-as-games-become-increasingly-important/

NFL and college football the same: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2020/09/15/nfl-and-college-football-post-disappointing-tv-ratings-opening-weekends/#177ccda77916

Not COVID, but cramming BLM and such down the throats of viewers who do not like it.  I cancelled my subscription to NBA League Pass, the NFL Game Pass, and the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel newspaper.  I did not even watch the Packer-Viking game this last Sunday.  First time I can remember intentionally skipping a game in my 59 years.  And I am (no, I WAS) a proud Packer owner and stockholder.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 17, 2020, 09:43:28 AM »
I find the NBA especially hypocritical. They are all for making a show of protesting against racism and police brutality in the US, but any hint of criticism against their sugar daddy the PRC and their treatment of Hong Kong or the Uyghurs and they get a case of the vapors that would shame a Southern Belle.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

James J Eivan

« Reply #1235 on: September 17, 2020, 09:52:44 AM »
The spin misters in the drive by media strategically fail to report these viewership decreases.  I still don’t know the final score of the local university’s season opener last weekend .. and no longer care.

Last week’s NFL season opener pregame show preempted the local news last Thursday ... viewing the local news on another channel, I flipped to the pregame show once during a commercial break  ... realized that it was not football but a posturing, virtue signaling, political mess.

Working for the county elections division, we were required to be apolitical .. prohibited from discussing the merits of photo ID election law despite the fact it was not on the ballot.

These highly paid (overpaid??) Athletes should be able to leave their politics in the dressing room… Play a game and return to politics afterwards!

What should be a football game has devolved into more political discourse than football.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #1236 on: September 17, 2020, 10:00:36 AM »
Maybe what’s going on in sports is a sign unto us, and a message to us about how important some of these issues really are.
I don’t watch much professional college sports, when I do see it, I see a good bit of political “stuff” in and around the games.
As for what’s happening today? I say “way to go, athletes!”
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

Mike Gehlhausen

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: September 17, 2020, 10:04:51 AM »
The spin misters in the drive by media strategically fail to report these viewership decreases.

I'm at a loss how can you state this when Pr. Bohler provides two such media reports of viewership decreases in this thread.

James J Eivan

« Reply #1238 on: September 17, 2020, 10:23:41 AM »

I don’t watch much professional college sports, when I do see it, I see a good bit of political “stuff” in and around the games. <emphasis added>
As for what’s happening today? I say “way to go, athletes!”
Freudian slip or deliberate statement from a non sports watcher?

Given your history of proudly avoiding sporting events (an observation ... not being critical) your approval of these activities strongly indicates that these are no longer sporting events ... but political events.

James J Eivan

« Reply #1239 on: September 17, 2020, 10:27:30 AM »
The spin misters in the drive by media strategically fail to report these viewership decreases.

I'm at a loss how can you state this when Pr. Bohler provides two such media reports of viewership decreases in this thread.
Simple ... the mainline news outlets ... those prominently available on over the air tv/radio do not report this.

Please cite national evening news sources to the contrary.

Mike Gehlhausen

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: September 21, 2020, 08:29:02 AM »
The LA Dodgers, Tampa Bay Rays, Chicago White Sox, Oakland A's, Minnesota Twins,  NY Yankees and San Diego Padres have all clinched playoff spots.  No team has won a division championship yet although the A's have a magic number of 1 to do so for the AL West.

That's seven of the sixteen teams for the postseason with one week to go for the regular season.  The MLB postseason will be conducted in a bubble-like format at neutral sites with the World Series and a number of NL playoff games held in Arlington, TX.

It looks as if the MLB will make it through this season despite COVID-19.  The NBA and NHL are finishing up their seasons.  The NFL seems to be doing well.  It is only college football that seems to be struggling at this point.

While I don't like the political demonstrations that have arisen in sports lately, I am glad to see sports back and doing well.  I do believe they are one of God's blessings.  Even as I pray for all to be kept safe from the coronavirus, I pray that our athletes, especially the college athletes, be kept safe from the virus as they compete.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 21, 2020, 10:15:11 AM »
MLB will get their 60 game season completed. It will get a World Series Champ.
With 30 MLB teams we have made 16 eligible for the post season.  It does seem
somewhat watered down to have 16 teams still surviving after the "regular" season.
The L.A. Dodgers and Chicago White Sox could find themselves in the World Series.

Mike Gehlhausen

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 22, 2020, 07:04:43 AM »
The Oakland A's have now clinched the AL West division.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 09, 2020, 01:20:14 PM »
Today, we pause to recognize the passing of NY Yankee Hall of Famer Whitey Ford
who died today at the age of 91.  His 16 year career as a pitcher included 236 wins
and 106 losses.  His .690 winning percentage is still the all time high in MLB history
for pitchers with over 300 decisions.

Whitey Ford spent his entire career as a NY Yankee & won 6 World Series Championships
and was a AL All-Star 10 times.   We pause for a moment of silence as Whitey Ford has
gone to that Big Stadium in the Sky.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 25, 2021, 04:56:29 PM »
A 50 yr old Phil Mickelson won the PGA Tournament on Sunday and became the
oldest golf pro to win a Major tournament.

Now the Chicago White Sox have the oldest man who ever managed a MLB team
in the person of Tony LaRussa.  He is 76 years old and has the White Sox in first
place in the American League  Central Division. They have won 27 and lost 19 games.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:56:22 PM by Dave Likeness »