Author Topic: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists  (Read 93930 times)

revjagow

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Proverbs 9:8-9
    • View Profile
    • Article 7
Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:30:41 PM »
I missed the home run derby for this year's All Star game.  My secretary just informed me that I also missed what one commentator called, "a bad night to be an atheist."
Soli Deo Gloria!

revjagow

• View Profile
    • Article 7
Re: Baseball and a Bad Night for Atheists
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:46:55 PM »
Bumping it up for the baseball people.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:31:54 PM »
I heard this, thought it was great, referenced it today.  This has to do with the Josh Hamilton story - prodigal son who had the skills, got the $4 million bonus, spent it all on hard drugs, tattoos, the lifestyle, came to Jesus and now is a whole different person who popped 28 home runs into the back lot in right field at Yankee Stadium.  When he finished that first round, the guy said, "Bad night to be an atheist." 

It was actually a great day for NYC.  They cordoned off 6th Ave from 34th to 59th for a red carpet parade for all the old and current all-stars.  Lotta love in the House, unless you happened to be from Boston.

Dave Benke

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:50:33 PM »
Hi Andy, Pres. Benke, missed the part about the atheist comment, but did hear Josh Hamilton interviewed by Erin Andrews of ESPN and Hamilton did say that he wanted to thank and give all glory to his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Miss Andrews had no comment to that other than 'Thank you.' 

Hamilton is a great story, although I wonder why more isn't being made of Jon Lester and Doug Davis, cancer survivors.  As great as the Hamilton story is, he willfully took the illicit drugs.  Lester and Davis did not choose cancer.  It appears from my seat that lots of people are fawning over Hamilton and what he is accomplishing/has accomplished.  But Hamilton doesn't seem to be going down that avenue.  He seems to emphasize that he made a mistake, that it was his own volition.  I wish we'd hear that more, that he made his own bed, slept in it, and is now where he should have been.

Home run derbies are rather boring, this one at least kept my attention until the Brett Favre interview with Greta van Susteren.  Perhaps you can answer this question- Are Brett Favre's diapers pure gold or only gold plated?  And to keep this on a quasi-religious slant so we can stay in the bounds of this board, it appears to me that Brett's understanding of vocation is off-kilter.  His calling was as a football player.  When he decided to retire, his calling changed.  He doesn't seem to grasp that.  Brett is living in the was.  Live in the is, man! 

And how come Greta didn't ask Brett his opinion on the Semper Virgo?  Isn't she a journalist? 

I suppose that is enough.  Jeremy 

A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

pr dtp

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 11:58:41 PM »
Hi Andy, Pres. Benke, missed the part about the atheist comment, but did hear Josh Hamilton interviewed by Erin Andrews of ESPN and Hamilton did say that he wanted to thank and give all glory to his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Miss Andrews had no comment to that other than 'Thank you.' 

Hamilton is a great story, although I wonder why more isn't being made of Jon Lester and Doug Davis, cancer survivors.  As great as the Hamilton story is, he willfully took the illicit drugs.  Lester and Davis did not choose cancer.  It appears from my seat that lots of people are fawning over Hamilton and what he is accomplishing/has accomplished.  But Hamilton doesn't seem to be going down that avenue.  He seems to emphasize that he made a mistake, that it was his own volition.  I wish we'd hear that more, that he made his own bed, slept in it, and is now where he should have been.

Home run derbies are rather boring, this one at least kept my attention until the Brett Favre interview with Greta van Susteren.  Perhaps you can answer this question- Are Brett Favre's diapers pure gold or only gold plated?  And to keep this on a quasi-religious slant so we can stay in the bounds of this board, it appears to me that Brett's understanding of vocation is off-kilter.  His calling was as a football player.  When he decided to retire, his calling changed.  He doesn't seem to grasp that.  Brett is living in the was.  Live in the is, man! 

And how come Greta didn't ask Brett his opinion on the Semper Virgo?  Isn't she a journalist? 

I suppose that is enough.  Jeremy 

Brett who?

Oh, the guy that has one the same number of Lmbardi trophies as Trent Dilfer and Eli Manning...
When does basketball and hockey's preseasons start....

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 01:21:51 AM »
I heard this, thought it was great, referenced it today.  This has to do with the Josh Hamilton story - prodigal son who had the skills, got the $4 million bonus, spent it all on hard drugs, tattoos, the lifestyle, came to Jesus and now is a whole different person who popped 28 home runs into the back lot in right field at Yankee Stadium.  When he finished that first round, the guy said, "Bad night to be an atheist." 

It was actually a great day for NYC.  They cordoned off 6th Ave from 34th to 59th for a red carpet parade for all the old and current all-stars.  Lotta love in the House, unless you happened to be from Boston.

Dave Benke

This was amazing.  Rick Reilly is the commentator who said "bad night to be an atheist."  He used to write for SI but now writes and commentates(word?) for ESPN.  An amazing story indeed.  Pres. Benke and I saw Hamilton a the old ballpark in Queens when the Texas Rangers were in town to play the Mets.  That was 3 weeks ago?  he had 75 RBI's?  He now has 95.....wow

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

deaconbob

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 02:08:42 AM »
Matt,u nam droppin'? Hangin' with da prez, huh...figurin' it ain't 2 earlie in da game to get sum face-face time, wit da big man? Careful Matt, you'll be trading your Islipese for Brooklynese, even 4 u grad u ate. ( I actually read a message meant for my son that I think sounded like I just did,wanted to try it out)   8) ::)

Eileen_Smith

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:03:07 AM »
Dr. B - Don't you remember!  The Chief Yankee Fan moved to Chicago and while he's greatly missed, now it's okay now to cheer on other teams.  I even cheered on my Cardinals as they passed by and - yep - even the Red Sox players.  GREAT DAY in NYC.

revjagow

• View Profile
    • Article 7
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 10:20:44 AM »
Here is another article from a Christian sports organization with links to SI and ESPN articles too.
Soli Deo Gloria!

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 11:30:20 AM »
Matt,u nam droppin'? Hangin' with da prez, huh...figurin' it ain't 2 earlie in da game to get sum face-face time, wit da big man? Careful Matt, you'll be trading your Islipese for Brooklynese, even 4 u grad u ate. ( I actually read a message meant for my son that I think sounded like I just did,wanted to try it out)   8) ::)

Haha, I was at the game with a couple of friends and my father.  My pops called me up when he was at the concession telling me he ran into the good Doctor Benke.  No scheming going down on Roosevelt Avenue in Queens, I promise.

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:15:59 PM »
Hi Mike, privileged to be linked to the elder brother.  I've been the little brother my whole life, nice to be first for a change! :)

Hamilton is a good story.  I don't like to go to the 'great' designation given the fact that no one held a gun to his head and told him to take the drugs.  He's finally doing what he should have been doing all along.  He was the #2 pick in the draft when he came out of North Carolina, and if he hadn't made some stupid choices, he would have been launching home runs in the majors years ago and would not have made his debut only last year.  So he's a good story for the turnaround he's made.  Kudos to him.  The cancer survivors, the amputee athletes, the ones who didn't choose their situation, those are the great stories.  But I can understand since he plays for your team.  Those ties are tight.  I feel much the same about players for the Cardinals and the Nationals.

Jeremy 
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Layman Randy

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:09:35 PM »
Sadly (or hopefully), I'm still an Angels fan.  But that's immaterial, since the team motto is "Wait 'til Next Year", I think.
However, the thread title does puzzle me....isn't EVERY night a bad night for atheists -- unless the Holy Spirit strikes them?

deaconbob

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 11:25:01 PM »
Ah Roosevelt Ave, In Jackson heights, did much of my money laundering cases there. Ate good too. Got injured there too, which ended my LEO career. Lucky for you all otherwise I may not have been posting here. It's OK to have a "hook" Matt. Heck you think the publisher :) of CPH got there on his looks? :o

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 11:26:47 PM »
Sadly (or hopefully), I'm still an Angels fan.  But that's immaterial, since the team motto is "Wait 'til Next Year", I think.
However, the thread title does puzzle me....isn't EVERY night a bad night for atheists -- unless the Holy Spirit strikes them?

As a Cleveland Indians fan (and to the Cubs fans out there, I know you have it worse), let me assure you, we would happily take that motto if it came along with the recent (relatively) World Series win by the Angels
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Layman Randy

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 11:43:26 PM »

As a Cleveland Indians fan (and to the Cubs fans out there, I know you have it worse), let me assure you, we would happily take that motto if it came along with the recent (relatively) World Series win by the Angels
Thank you for the grace of letting a lowly Angels fan feel (very briefly) exalted, and I would give the motto to you if it were mine to give (of course, I think it is my school's motto as well - UC Berkeley - oh, go ahead, take it, but the pennant has to be earned by your guys (good works problem here?).