Author Topic: A book recommendation: The Righteous Mind  (Read 2880 times)

Pasgolf

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
A book recommendation: The Righteous Mind
« on: August 31, 2017, 08:55:09 AM »
The Righteous Mind: why good people are divided by politics and religion  Haidt, Jonathan, Pantheon Books  2012

Haidt gives a lucid view of the polarizations that currently accompany many discussions of politics and religion, often typified on this forum. He also gives some useful background as to how the U.S. social order has arrived at this juncture and some maps that may be useful in making changes that will facilitate communication once again.  His description of the "WEIRD" population that is usually represented as normative is worth the price of admission in itself.
Mark (retired pastor, golfs the pastures) Renner

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: A book recommendation: The Righteous Mind
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 09:36:40 AM »
 Apparently you can only get a sample of the book on your Kindle. But I'll take that for now.
Retired ELCA Pastor: We are not a very inter-Lutheran forum. Posters with more than 1,500 posts: ELCA-6, with 3 of those inactive/rare and 1 moderator; LCMS-25, with 4 inactive/rare and 1 moderator. Non-Lutherans, 3; maybe 4 from other Lutheran bodies. 3 formerly frequent posters have gone quiet.

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
Re: A book recommendation: The Righteous Mind
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »
Not sure what you were doing Charles, but I had no problem adding it into my Kindle queue.  Of course I also had to pay the 11.99 price... but the entire book is there.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/