Author Topic: DOJ Declares New York, Portland And Seattle ‘Anarchist Jurisdictions,’  (Read 2264 times)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: DOJ Declares New York, Portland And Seattle ‘2Anarchist Jurisdictions,’
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2020, 05:32:54 PM »

I would think a journalist would have better GoogleFu skills. Seattle has the third largest homeless population in the US (behind LA and NYC) with a long history of violence - consistently ignored by the city council. Here is but one of many articles. Of course, unless you've spent years working with urban homeless I'm not sure a person can fully understand and will instead have a pathologically negative response.

When economic homeless interact with mental illness or addiction homeless the results can lead to violence. Seattle police set up a unit to deal with these interactions. That is being cut along with 100 officers. Now rather than trained officers tasked with that mission there are fewer in number officers and their training is a badge and a gun. What could go wrong?

Anarchist Jurisdiction.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/06/how-seattles-elite-brushes-off-violent-homeless-crime/

I do not believe that the police are the best people to deal with people with mental illnesses or addictions. Better procedures can now be explored. Police investigate crimes that have been committed. They aren't therapist who help people change their thinking and behaviors so that the don't commit crimes.
Brian Stoffregen
“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

James

• View Profile
Re: DOJ Declares New York, Portland And Seattle ‘Anarchist Jurisdictions,’
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2020, 05:48:57 PM »
Is it willful or a now just a force of habit to ignore the answers you get?  You're retired. Push the cat off the keyboard and with either Google, Yahoo or Bing you can go out and find a plethora of articles about Seattle, homeless, city council and police activity. Sheesh.
The New York City decline is snowballing ... major business leaders are concerned.

Business Leaders Urge Mayor de Blasio to Stop New York City’s Decline
LCMS pewsitter

Some are known because they are rostered ... some are unknown because they are mere laymen. To personally attack a layperson because they are unknown is simply a devilish ploy to avoid the topic at hand.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2020, 06:04:06 PM »
And what or who is responsible for the spread of the corona virus that is supposedly causing the city to decline?
And - going sky-blue speculation here - what does "decline" mean and what if New York City (or Chicago, or Los Angeles or Houston or Fort Wayne ) does "decline"? Cities come. Cities go. Anybody been to Babylon lately, once the center of the region? How about Baghdad? Or Constantinople?
Detroit isn't what it used to be; neither is Chicago. And as cities "decline," and if they decline drastically for years, they can also come back.
I dearly hope that some year soon Beloved Spouse and I can return to New York for Broadway Theater, the Metropolitan Opera, Museum of Modern Art, and five or six elegant meals in famous restaurants. But it may not happen
Well, I've heard it said, and believe it to be true: "We'll always have Paris."
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. But the dining room at our "ranch" is now open and some activities - with virus restrictions - are returning. For which, thanks.

DeHall1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2020, 06:05:25 PM »

I would think a journalist would have better GoogleFu skills. Seattle has the third largest homeless population in the US (behind LA and NYC) with a long history of violence - consistently ignored by the city council. Here is but one of many articles. Of course, unless you've spent years working with urban homeless I'm not sure a person can fully understand and will instead have a pathologically negative response.

When economic homeless interact with mental illness or addiction homeless the results can lead to violence. Seattle police set up a unit to deal with these interactions. That is being cut along with 100 officers. Now rather than trained officers tasked with that mission there are fewer in number officers and their training is a badge and a gun. What could go wrong?

Anarchist Jurisdiction.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/06/how-seattles-elite-brushes-off-violent-homeless-crime/

I do not believe that the police are the best people to deal with people with mental illnesses or addictions. Better procedures can now be explored. Police investigate crimes that have been committed. They aren't therapist who help people change their thinking and behaviors so that the don't commit crimes.

The Seattle Police Department's "Navigation Team" (the team getting cuts to their senior staff and up to 100 layoffs )  are professionals from REACH and specially trained Seattle Police officers selected specifically for this unique role.   In this case, it appears they are precisely the best team to deal with the homeless in Seattle.

You can read more about REACH here:  http://www.etsreach.org/

Here's the Navigation Team's Q2 report, detailing the work they did earlier this year in the Seattle homeless community:
https://homelessness.seattle.gov/navigation-team-releases-quarter-2-data-report-metrics-show-increased-shelter-referrals-and-enrollments-during-covid-19-crisis/

B Hughes

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2020, 06:20:18 PM »

The Seattle Police Department's "Navigation Team" (the team getting cuts to their senior staff and up to 100 layoffs )  are professionals from REACH and specially trained Seattle Police officers selected specifically for this unique role.   In this case, it appears they are precisely the best team to deal with the homeless in Seattle.

Here's the Navigation Team's Q2 report, detailing the work they did earlier this year in the Seattle homeless community:
https://homelessness.seattle.gov/navigation-team-releases-quarter-2-data-report-metrics-show-increased-shelter-referrals-and-enrollments-during-covid-19-crisis/

Thank you for this.

Given the effective partnership and the work they were doing it truly makes no sense why the city council has cut their funding. What is gained? What is the end game?  Justice and Mercy teamed up to interact with a massive homeless population, yet it will be no more.  Anarchist Jurisdiction.

DeHall1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2020, 06:37:56 PM »

Thank you for this.

Given the effective partnership and the work they were doing it truly makes no sense why the city council has cut their funding. What is gained? What is the end game?  Justice and Mercy teamed up to interact with a massive homeless population, yet it will be no more.  Anarchist Jurisdiction.

You have to question the reasoning for this -- Sara Rankin (a law professor and director of Seattle University School of Law’s Homeless Rights Advocacy Project) has stated that she believes an absence of the Navigation Team means that "unsheltered people" [homeless] removals would continue and just become less visible.

If the goal of the city council is to stop the removal of homeless camps, this is a poor choice for doing so.  Then again, maybe their goal all along is to make the removals less visible....

Maybe Brian Stoffregen's son can offer some enlightenment?

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2020, 06:39:24 PM »

Anarchist Jurisdiction.

As one who works fairly closely with first responders (EMTs, paramedics, etc.), I would encourage you to consider the inherent physical danger of dealing with people who suffer from very serious mental illnesses and drug abuse problems (especially overdoses).  Personally, I would not send a social worker or such to a 911 call without some kind of protection. The police aren't there to be therapists, but to provide protection and to hopefully remove the person from the situation where they can receive care from mental health professionals in a more controlled environment. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Robert Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2020, 07:05:52 PM »
I don't want to be guilty of bearing a false witness.

That ship has sailed.

Eugene Crowner

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2020, 11:54:44 AM »
In line with what is mentioned above, I was in the emergency room with my mother about 6 months before she died.  Suddenly a nearby woman started shrieking, punctuated by some loud booms.  Evidently she was slamming a large cabinet against the wall.  An immediate call went out for security.  I looked out in the hall, the medical personnel were in the hall apprehensively looking into her emergency room.  Fortunately security arrived and got things calmed down. 

Separated by only a few curtains from a drug crazed woman, and never having had any martial arts training, I felt quite vulnerable about being able to protect either my mother or myself.

Eugene Crowner

James

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2020, 12:55:54 PM »
In line with what is mentioned above, I was in the emergency room with my mother about 6 months before she died.  Suddenly a nearby woman started shrieking, punctuated by some loud booms.  Evidently she was slamming a large cabinet against the wall.  An immediate call went out for security.  I looked out in the hall, the medical personnel were in the hall apprehensively looking into her emergency room.  Fortunately security arrived and got things calmed down. 

Separated by only a few curtains from a drug crazed woman, and never having had any martial arts training, I felt quite vulnerable about being able to protect either my mother or myself.

Eugene Crowner
Mr Crowner interestingly points out the dangerous misconception that mental health workers should become first responders in cases such as this ... the safety of many innocent citizens is at stake.

For those supporting the disengagement of law enforcement officers trained and armed in various ways, how would you have responded to the family of Mr Crowner had he been injured or killed because heath trained person had responded in place of the security officials in the case Mr Crowner describes?
LCMS pewsitter

Some are known because they are rostered ... some are unknown because they are mere laymen. To personally attack a layperson because they are unknown is simply a devilish ploy to avoid the topic at hand.

B Hughes

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2020, 01:41:54 PM »

Federal officers enforcing laws and doing the work local Democrat mayors won't. Read through the list. These are not insignificant charges as many carry considerable prison time. 

Anarchist jurisdictions

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/over-300-people-facing-federal-charges-crimes-committed-during-nationwide-demonstrations

James

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2020, 04:13:55 PM »

Did the "reporter" have credentials, was it clear he was gathering news or was he a guy sticking his phone in a cop's face?  There are several "reporters" in this video. These are the folks rioting in our streets and the 1st amendment says "peaceful." I think a few of them would be worth a body slam or two.

https://streamable.com/lbpuh5
Rev Hughes: Viewing the KY Attorney General’s Wednesday announcement live on NBC TV, demonstrators were attempting to hide their mask covered faces from the cameras.  One of the NBC reporters even admitted to changing their location “because the protesters did not want our cameras there.”  It was evident from that point that premeditated trouble would follow .... and that the cowards were waiting for the cover of darkness to hide many of their illegal activities.

Your short video clip demonstrates what NBC was hiding from the general public at the behest of the anarchists ... and that MSM has an anti American Agenda.
LCMS pewsitter

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2020, 05:34:06 PM »
Maybe Brian Stoffregen's son can offer some enlightenment?

Yesterday our son had a bit of a run in with the police. As he was leaving his apartment to get some lunch he first noticed the startled look when others in the elevator saw him. He hasn't cut his hair or beard in over a year. He can look a bit scary. When they reached the lobby, he noticed their doorman directing people out of the building. When he walked out, he noticed police all around the place and the SWAT van pulling up. They were all very polite and pointed where he should go. There was a barricade in the direction he wanted to go, so he went the other way. He had originally planned to get some food and go back to his apartment. When he discovered that they were evacuating the apartment complex because two people had been stabbed, and the perpetrator was still in the building, he decided that he would work at the office rather than at home. He had left his phone in his apartment. Once he got to work, he e-mailed us that he was all right, in case we might learn about the attack in his apartment complex on the news.

A resident on the floor above his had been evicted. (Apparently for reasons beyond non-payment during the pandemic.) The apartment manager had a court order that allowed her to change the locks so that the resident couldn't get back into her apartment. She responded by attacking the apartment manager and another person with a knife. Residents on the 24th floor where the perpetrator was, were told to stay in their apartments. Everyone else was asked to leave the building.

The Seattle police were there quickly in force and eventually arrested the perpetrator, who, it seemed from the news I watched, had also stabbed herself. Both other victims are in stable condition.

The Seattle police are still doing their duties; and doing it cordially. Our son said that he had nice interactions as he decided to leave the scene, eat, then go to work - and see what he could find out about the incident on the internet and at a bar whose owners also live in the same complex.

The idea that anarchist are running the city just isn't true. The police are present and active, serving and protecting, and arresting criminals - and being nice about it.
Brian Stoffregen
“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2020, 06:27:53 PM »
So the whole CHAZ thing, riots, destruction of property, police assaulted, evicted from a precinct,  injured, etc. are just figments of conservative imagination?  Seattle is peaceful no problems? Good to know.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Pr. Don Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2020, 06:36:03 PM »
The police are present and active, serving and protecting, and arresting criminals - and being nice about it. [emphasis added]

Police do not keep people safe from crime.

...my ability to think logically and critically about things...

:o  ::)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:58:23 PM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Pr. Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs