Author Topic: The ALPB Guns and Ammo Thread  (Read 13454 times)

Paul T. McCain

The ALPB Guns and Ammo Thread
« on: August 15, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »
Back when I was on the forum some time ago I really enjoyed the conversations we had about guns and ammo and all things shooting.

I'd like to open up a thread on this subject again, under the forum rubric of "anything you want to talk about."

During the past year I've had quite a metamorphis in my shooting hobby.

I had an providential meeting with a man who owns and runs a professional firearm training facility in the area, Asymmetric Solutions in Farmington, Missouri where, almost every weekend for the past year, I've taken various firearms and tactics training classes. I can not believe how much I've learned.

Our instructors are all former military and government special forces guys who have been in the heat of battle and have such an incredible wealth of knowledge and experience that they freely share with civilians like me and many others.

I've sold off most of my gun collection and now focus primarily on becoming proficient and building skills with a smaller variety of small arms: AR 15, AK 47 and my Glock 34 (tricked out with a RMR site and customized extensively), and my Remington 870. The facility is a "dynamic range" where we are put through a wide variety of drills of every description.

It is such a joy.

Where are you at in your firearms and shooting hobby and skills?

Stay safe and shoot straight!

If any ALPB-er who enjoys the shooting sports and guns, etc. is in the STL area, I'd be happy to take you out and let you find out more about Asymmetric Solutions.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:41:23 PM by Rev. Paul T. McCain »

Harvey_Mozolak

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
Re: The ALPB Guns and Ammo Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
I don't like a guns and ammo thread in this forum represented by so many clergy and lay church men and women....   we have better things to talk about than weapons and weaponry.   Would you, Paul, run an article on guns and ammo and Christians in the Lutheran Witness?   One that extolled them?  Harvey Mozolak 
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
I'm a long-time gun owner and hunter.  One of the first presents I gave my then fiance was a Ruger 10-22.  I figured that if that didn't get rid of her that she would be a keeper.  She also owns a 20-gauge Remington 870 that we bought at a sheriff's sale (Wisconsin law used to require the sheriff to sell off guns where the owner could not be located).

My 17-year-old son enjoys hunting as well.  He has shot four deer so far, as well as a pheasant.  We went turkey hunting one spring but only saw hens.  That was fun, but we kind of decided it was a little expensive.  My brother recently paid to have my son's 870 Pro-Ported.  My son is looking forward to trying it out on targets soon to get ready for the gun deer season.

I own a Ruger Security Six in .357 Magnum, a 12-gauge Remington 870 pump shotgun, a Remington 742 semi-auto in .30-06 and a couple of SKS rifles in 7.62x39 (aka .30 Russian).  The gun safe is pretty stuffed between the three of us.

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »
If any ALPB-er who enjoys the shooting sports and guns, etc. is in the STL area, I'd be happy to take you out and let you find out more about Asymmetric Solutions.

I'll take you up on that!

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:17:34 PM »
You might love to but...  Let's see if your bosses (whoever they might be) would be happy to have an article extolling guns and ammo in the Lutheran Witness...  I would think that it would be against the mags guidelines to even publish advertisements for guns and ammo.  Harvey Mozolak

Would you, Paul, run an article on guns and ammo and Christians in the Lutheran Witness?   One that extolled them?  Harvey Mozolak

I'd love too, great suggestion.
Harvey S. Mozolak

John Mundinger

• John 8:31-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:04:20 PM »
Pardon the thread drift.  I've pretty much given up hunting, so I have also quit shooting and my pieces are gathering dust in the basement.  When hunting season opens, angling pressure falls off and I am able to find more solitude on the river.  I used to "roll my own".  Now, I tie my own.
Lifelong Evangelical Lutheran layman

Whoever, then, thinks that he understands the Holy Scriptures, or any part of them, but puts such an interpretation upon them as does not tend to build up this twofold love of God and our neighbour, does not yet understand them as he ought.  St. Augustine

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 09:22:07 AM »
You might love to but...  Let's see if your bosses (whoever they might be) would be happy to have an article extolling guns and ammo in the Lutheran Witness...  I would think that it would be against the mags guidelines to even publish advertisements for guns and ammo.  Harvey Mozolak

Would you, Paul, run an article on guns and ammo and Christians in the Lutheran Witness?   One that extolled them?  Harvey Mozolak

I'd love too, great suggestion.

I read on facebook from Adriane Heins herself, editor of LW, that she has pink grips on her gun.  She's quite open minded on magazine topics and regularly solicits topics from readers.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 11:00:28 AM »
Right.  Pink n all.  Let her or whoever do one extolling guns and ammo and then let's see the reaction.  Harvey. 
Harvey S. Mozolak

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 11:43:18 AM »
Harvey,  it was just a few years ago when LW did a pro/con piece on the death penalty.  I believe that Dr. Frank Andritzky wrote the pro column.  Both writers were lcms members. At the time Dr. Andritzky was a prof at Concordia Mequon. He was a history and poli sci prof at River Forest when i was there.

Why do you think your idea wouldn't be considered at least?  I am not saying it would definitely be done but Mrs. Heins repeatedly solicits topics on her facebook page and the suggestions have been turned into magazines.  The last three issues have been: education, persecution, law and gospel. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

John Mundinger

• John 8:31-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
I've considered rolling my own, but ... I just don't want to spend my time doing that. The guys shooting PR are major reloaders, and I understand why. I've got a buddy who is so into reloading he has a Dillon 1050 and cranks out hundreds and hundreds of rounds in no time flat.

Reloading and tying flies have a couple of things in common.  First, neither reduces your costs and, in fact, the reverse might be true.  But, you get more participation in the activity per dollar spent.  Second, both add more than just another dimension to the activity.  In the case of reloading, at least if you are going to do it right, you have to spend more time on the range.  In the process, you have the opportunity to develop loads that optimize performance of your piece for its intended use.
Lifelong Evangelical Lutheran layman

Whoever, then, thinks that he understands the Holy Scriptures, or any part of them, but puts such an interpretation upon them as does not tend to build up this twofold love of God and our neighbour, does not yet understand them as he ought.  St. Augustine

John Karay

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »
I really need to take my pieces out to a range. It's been too long. Ruger GP100 in stainless w/inlayed grips, Ruger P94 9mm, Mossberg 540 12ga, and 30-06 and 10/22 rifles. 

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 04:02:31 PM »
Anyone have plans to expend some ammo this weekend?

It is going to be hot as Hades this weekend here in St. Louis. I hope to get one of my M4s out with the new scope I bought for it.

You?

Yup, have to get out to the sandpits with my buddy. Bought a Ruger SP101 (.357) for conceal carry; haven't fired it.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/

In the box came a notice for a fix kit for the old model Blackhawk. So, I sent mine in to Ruger and they fixed it and cleaned it all up for me for only the cost of shipping it to them.

So, have lots to practice with.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:47:24 PM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 09:41:35 PM »
Still trying to decide if I want my late father's S&W revolver more than my brother-in-law does.  We seem to be the only ones interested in it.  I can shoot better with it than I can with my Ruger, but I really don't shoot the Ruger that much anyway.

GalRevRedux

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • The poster formerly known as GalRev83.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »
My brother-in-law was an avid collector, and passed away last year. We have been given one of his guns which my husband long coveted -- a William and John Rigby Irish dual barrel percussion pistol. The barrels actually rotate. Knowing nothing of guns, the thing is beautifully crafted and very different. I wonder if any of you folks have seen something like this before?

Someone else put a photo of one on Pinterest: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ab/35/f1/ab35f1853e25e3f981523330861755b6.jpg

Obviously we will never shoot it. But it is a lovely reminder of Richard (my b-in-law) and a piece of art.

Donna

A pastor of the North American Lutheran Church.

LutherMan

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »
My brother-in-law was an avid collector, and passed away last year. We have been given one of his guns which my husband long coveted -- a William and John Rigby Irish dual barrel percussion pistol. The barrels actually rotate. Knowing nothing of guns, the thing is beautifully crafted and very different. I wonder if any of you folks have seen something like this before?

Someone else put a photo of one on Pinterest: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ab/35/f1/ab35f1853e25e3f981523330861755b6.jpg

Obviously we will never shoot it. But it is a lovely reminder of Richard (my b-in-law) and a piece of art.

Donna
That is beautiful...