Author Topic: What about guns in churches?  (Read 9485 times)

Norman Teigen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
What about guns in churches?
« on: May 06, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »
Some think that people have a right to carry guns wherever they choose.  Others do not.  Here is a link to a current case involving guns and churches. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/06/us/politics/justices-reject-case-on-the-right-to-be-armed-in-public.html?ref=us&_r=0
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:14:52 AM by Norman Teigen »
Norman Teigen

peterm

• View Profile
Re: What about guns in churches?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
There are things in the whole gun debate that call to mind something my parents once told me...."Just because you can (carry a gun somewhere) doesn't mean you should." 
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

George Erdner

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »
Was this just discussed on another thread recently?

George Erdner

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:45:01 AM »
Yes, here it is.

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:00:47 AM »
"John Drake, Gregory Gallaher, Lenny Salerno, and Finley Fenton, along with the Second Amendment Foundation and the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, filed suit challenging the essential ban on carrying in New Jersey. John Drake, who operates a business restocking and servicing ATM machines, necessarily carries large amounts of cash on him and desired to carry a firearm for protection. After initially being approved by the local law enforcement agency, the New Jersey State Police appealed and the Superior Court reversed the LEO’s approval. The current lawsuit was then filed and the denial was eventually upheld by the Third Circuit. Petitioners then appealed to the Supreme Court..."

So, what does this have to do with guns in churches, Mr. Teigen? Was that something you simply made up so that this thread would be thinly relevant to the forum?
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

carlvehse

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 10:03:30 AM »
The Drake v. Jerejian, No. 13-827 case mentions nothing about churches, houses of worship, or religious buildings.  It's more about objecting to NJ state officials terrorizing the 2nd amendment rights of its citizens.  But since the discussion has started off with a slogan,  here're some more:

My Gun? I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Guns only have two enemies: rust and Liberals.
If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
911 - Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.
Gun Control is not about guns; it's about control.
An armed society is a polite society.
Criminals love gun control -- it makes their jobs safer.
"Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun!"
"If you are free to be a liberal -- thank a man with a gun!"
"Carrying a gun is easier than carrying a cop."
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:45:58 AM by CarlVehse »

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
Some think that people have a right to carry guns wherever they choose.  Others do not.  Here is a link to a current case involving guns and churches. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/06/us/politics/justices-reject-case-on-the-right-to-be-armed-in-public.html?ref=us&_r=0

And the fact that SCOTUS denied cert is meaningless as far as precedent is concerned.  All it means is that the court decided not to consider this case.  SCOTUS itself has said so repeatedly.

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »
Mr. Teigen,

You initiated this thread by stating, "Here is a link to a current case involving guns and churches." That's simply a false, misleading statement. It isn't about churches at all, as shown above.

I've asked you to stop private messaging me, and you sent me another one. Please honor my request.

Thanks for the info below, LutherMan.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:18:51 PM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

LutherMan

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 05:08:53 PM »
Mr. Teigen,

I've asked you to stop private messaging me, and you sent me another one. Please honor my request.
You can always put him on ignore, and that will stop the unwanted pm's if it comes to that.  I initially had him on ignore for that very reason...

LutherMan

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »
Mr. Teigen,

You initiated this thread by stating, "Here is a link to a current case involving guns and churches." That's simply a false, misleading statement. It isn't about churches at all, as shown above.

You are welcome Pr. Kirchner.  I was on the receiving end of some obnoxious and unwanted pm's from Pr. Austin, and that effectively put an end to them,  I have had a few from Teigen as well.  You can still easily read his propaganda by making a single extra click...

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »
I am honored that you would put me in the same category as Pastor Austin.   I feel that I have been promoted.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:55:11 PM by Norman Teigen »
Norman Teigen

LutherMan

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »
I am honored that you would put me in the same category as Pastor Austin.
Cheers!

BHHughes

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »
I'm left wondering if Norman has an opinion one way or another.

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 04:17:20 PM »
So first I read this:

Mr. Teigen,

And then I read this:

]You can always put him on ignore, and that will stop the unwanted pm's if it comes to that.  I initially had him on ignore for that very reason...

And so I found out that others have been recipients of those tres charmants billets doux.  Imagine my hurt & surprise.  Oh Norman, you hussy!
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »
On a serious note, when serving on LI, I had LE Officers from various departments as members or guests.  I know that sometimes they were carrying, sometimes not.  Never seemed to be an issue for me or the two parishes in question.

A semi-serious question: In pre-gunpowder days, what was the restriction, if any, on wearing one's sword or similar edged weapon, to worship?  Is there a precedent?  Is it weapons to which people object (long tradition of pacifism in the Church) ?  Or is it some folks' pyrobolophobia?

If the former, I think a dialogue can take place.  If the later, take some anti-anxiety meds & move on.

Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien