Author Topic: ALPB Forum Shooting Sports Fans  (Read 29493 times)

ptmccain

ALPB Forum Shooting Sports Fans
« on: November 24, 2010, 01:17:44 PM »
Under the rubric of "anything else you'd like to say" I'm starting this topic for all ALPB shooting sports fans: hunting, target shooting, skeet, trap, match pistols, etc.

I'll start it off.

I'm a member of the Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club and love a good day with plenty of quality trigger time. I own the following:

Daniel Defense M4 Carbine, chambered for 5.56 Nato.
A Glock Model 22.
A Ruger 10/22 Rifle.
A Ruger Mark III Huntsman target pistol [perhaps my favorite].

I enjoy the challenge of open sight shooting.

I also enjoy skeet shooting.

Anyone else? Hunters? Paper cutters?

Here' a link to some of my three round burst practice at the club yesteday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVSncqkWF24&hd=1

Coach-Rev

Re: ALPB Forum Shooting Sports Fans
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »
Thank God!  For a moment there, when I saw the title, I thought that the forum moderators were going to shoot anyone who started another sports related topic on here, like I did this morning too!  ;D

Rev. Kevin Scheuller

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 01:48:32 PM »
ha ha!  You want to know what I was thinking when I first saw the title of the new thread? :D Living and serving in Northeast Wisconsin as my wife and I do, I was thinking of all of those Packer Fans whose outlay for season tickets and assorted memorabilia is more than a bit excessive, in some instances exceeding their allotment for the Lord.  

Not that I thought anyone would ever encourage breaking the 5th commandment!  

I was thinking more figuratively of "shooting" some members with a "high-powered doctrine gun" to quote one of the quirkier Bob Bennett songs I have in my collection.  

I'm one of those Chicago transplants to WI, so hunting is not "in the blood" for me.  I tried it once while on internship in Escanaba, MI.  Talk about being out of my element!

I do wish success and safety to all of my brothers (and sisters) who engage in the annual deer hunt (and various other hunts of mammal and fowl).

Your fellow servant of Christ,
Kevin

Maryland Brian

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 01:56:11 PM »

I collect Class III toys.  Rock and Roll baby ...

ptmccain

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »
And how often do you rob a bank to pay for them, the ammo and the annual Class III fees?

:)

SKPeterson

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »
I have three:

1) a 60 year old Beretta 16 gauge shotgun that will test the ability of your shoulder to stay in its socket
2) a Chinese made SKS rifle.  Great wood on it, surprisingly, but horrible at actually hitting anything (yes, I blame the weapon  ;))

and

3) a Kalashnikov AK hunting rifle.  This fires the non-assault weapon ammo, equivalent to a .308.  Nice rifle with a great burled wood stock.

I want to get a nice Mossberg shotgun for waterfowl, but I've had other things to do like that pesky dissertation. 

Rev. BT Ball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
I really like my Mossberg Silver Reserve 12 gauge for pheasant hunting.  It is worth it for sure.

I have three:

1) a 60 year old Beretta 16 gauge shotgun that will test the ability of your shoulder to stay in its socket
2) a Chinese made SKS rifle.  Great wood on it, surprisingly, but horrible at actually hitting anything (yes, I blame the weapon  ;))

and

3) a Kalashnikov AK hunting rifle.  This fires the non-assault weapon ammo, equivalent to a .308.  Nice rifle with a great burled wood stock.

I want to get a nice Mossberg shotgun for waterfowl, but I've had other things to do like that pesky dissertation. 

Evangel

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Rev. Mark Schimmel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 02:52:50 PM »
1) S&W M&P in 40S&W
2) Keltec PF-9
3) Ruger MKIII Hunter (like Paul upstream)
4) Titan Armory 6.8 Xtreme (Custom built AR15 in 6.8SPC - my deer rifle)
5) Markesbery Grizzly Bear .50 cal Muzzleloader

Also have the beginnings of a few more AR's in my safe - I enjoy building these rifles!

Here in SC we have the option of hunting public land or joining hunt clubs.  Since the public land only requires a small cost add-on to the hunting license that's the route I take.  

I've spent a fair amount of time scouting the nearest WMA (wildlife management area) and have been out already during archery season.  I've seen plenty of deer - just out of bow range - so I have high hopes of connecting with one next week when it opens for rifle season.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 03:27:45 PM by Evangel »
Mark Schimmel, Pastor
Zion Lutheran Church, LCMC
Priddy, TX
--
ACXXIII, "Your majesty will graciously take into account the fact that, in these last times of which the Scriptures prophesy, the world is growing worse and men are becoming weaker and more infirm."

olarmy02

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »
Too many to list, but my favorite is my Glock 22 (40S&W) w/ hi-caps of course, and my concealed carry firearm Glock 27 (40S&W).  I've had more expensive pistols but none more reliable.  I learned to shoot on Glocks so I didn't have any of the hang-ups that folks who started out with 1911's have trying to switch over to Glocks. 

It costs too much to deer hunt in Texas, it is a wealthy man's sport.  I miss the WMA's in Arkansas.  However if you know anyone in So. TX with a pig problem let me know.  I'd be happy to break out my Rem. 7400 (.270).

Most fun weapon I have ever fired (MLRS aside  ;) ) is the tried and true .50 "MA Deuce".  She is still a troop favorite and continues to work hard downrange.  Okay time for Kurt to respond with some Air Force flyboy story  ;D.
Rev. S.P. McMaughan
"there is no distinction between true and false interpretation of scripture without the formation of confession"  Sasse

Kurt Weinelt

• Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 04:19:46 PM »
Too many to list, but my favorite is my Glock 22 (40S&W) w/ hi-caps of course, and my concealed carry firearm Glock 27 (40S&W).  I've had more expensive pistols but none more reliable.  I learned to shoot on Glocks so I didn't have any of the hang-ups that folks who started out with 1911's have trying to switch over to Glocks.  

It costs too much to deer hunt in Texas, it is a wealthy man's sport.  I miss the WMA's in Arkansas.  However if you know anyone in So. TX with a pig problem let me know.  I'd be happy to break out my Rem. 7400 (.270).

Most fun weapon I have ever fired (MLRS aside  ;) ) is the tried and true .50 "MA Deuce".  She is still a troop favorite and continues to work hard downrange.  Okay time for Kurt to respond with some Air Force flyboy story  ;D.
OK, one about the gun I never got to shoot....I was at a range in Spain (circa 1984) and got to witness (from the range manager's tower) A-10 Warthogs live-firing on a target. 30mm cannon with an exceptionally ugly--but capable-- jet built around it.  It made quite a racket and plowed up some real estate.  I'd love to strap a 'Hog to my fanny and pull that trigger!  

BTW, I don't know if Sean heard it last Sunday, but our pastor has already bagged three bambis. Reminds me of that silly T-shirt that reads "MY pastor can beat YOUR pastor to a pulpit!"
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:41:45 PM by Kurt Weinelt »
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

ptmccain

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 01:10:44 PM »
Here's the latest video from my shooting adventures, this time on a farm in Kansas. Practicing for when the Zombies attack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpge5hQnHJo&hd=1

swbohler

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
That looks like you had fun!  A few months back I was up at a gun shop in Thief River Falls, talking with the guys.  The topic came up about pastors who are shooters and the store owner said: "that's what we need -- more pastors with guns!".  I try to oblige.  As, it appears, so do you.

ptmccain

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »
Perhaps we can form a new order of Lutheran Knights Templar.

pr dtp

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 12:56:33 AM »
Simple here..

.38 S&W Military and Police
looking at a sig .9mm or a .45
.22 Rifle Winchester bolt action - single shot (given to me at 6 years old by my grandpa
.22 Rifle Winchester Semi Auto
my last congregation had a guy with an awesome congregation - including a Barrett, and a range long enough.

assorted combat knives, dirks swords etc  including my favorite - an original Fairbain.

This is what I want for Christmas:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.strategypage.com%252Fmilitary_videos%252Fmilitary_photos_20101128201618.aspx&h=af988&ref=nf

ptmccain

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 01:04:38 AM »
That comes in handy if you like to hunt deer and get instant ground venison.

:)