Author Topic: Bishop Munib A. Younan Elected President of LWF  (Read 6208 times)

iowakatie1981

Re: Bishop Munib A. Younan Elected President of LWF
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2010, 10:11:16 AM »
Whatever happened to bishops as guarantors and defenders of the orthodox faith?  When did innovation and creativity, or a profound willingness to overlook the obvious become a criteria for bishop?

Who gets to determine the orthodox faith that bishops are to guarantee and defend?

The million dollar question. 

swbohler

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2010, 03:47:55 PM »
Rev. Austin,

1) Dr. Kieschnick was not "turned out of his ministry" -- another was elected to fill the office.  Dr. Kieschnick is free to serve the Church in any number of ways.  There was no condemnation or repudiation of him personally, nor of his administration while serving the office of President of the LCMS.   The convention delegates simply voted for another.

2) You wrote to Rev. McCain: "And he is leaving.  And you stay."  As far as I know, both Dr. Kieschnick and Rev. McCain are staying in the LCMS.  Do you know something different?

Charles_Austin

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2010, 04:08:01 PM »
A distinction without a difference. President Kieschnick will no longer have the call which he did have and which he wanted to continue holding, so - by the vote of the convention - he was "turned out." Are you really so naive or duplicitous to believe or attempt to convince me that voting for someone else to lead the synod over the one who is currently doing so is not a "repudiation" of the one holding the office, especially with the campaign that was run for his opponent?

It appears Dr. Kieschnick will no longer have a prominent position of authority on the upper levels of the synod and its administration. As an editor at the publishing house, Editor McCain will.

And as noted upstream, I had a very pleasant conversation with Dr. Kieschnick and Sam Nafzger in Stuttgart and wished them well in whatever lies ahead for their ministries. And I hope I am someday able to continue a conversation about "levels" of fellowship that we began there.

MaddogLutheran

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »
A distinction without a difference. President Kieschnick will no longer have the call which he did have and which he wanted to continue holding, so - by the vote of the convention - he was "turned out." Are you really so naive or duplicitous to believe or attempt to convince me that voting for someone else to lead the synod over the one who is currently doing so is not a "repudiation" of the one holding the office, especially with the campaign that was run for his opponent?
Funny, some here have recently called a different controversy a "distinction without a difference":  whether Brad Schmeling continued to function as pastor of St. John in Atlanta even after being removed from the ELCA roster.  I seem to recall some highly technical parsing of that situation.  Sauce for the goose, I suppose.  Or maybe just naive and duplicitous.
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Eileen Smith

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »
I had the privilege of meeting Bishop Munib several years ago when he visited the U.S. - and cover his visit for the ELCA in press releases.   It was truly a moving experience to meet this humble leader who serves our Lord in the most difficult of circumstances.  What an excellent choice LWF has made.