Author Topic: A View from the Bottom  (Read 13443 times)

LutherMan

Re: A View from the Bottom
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »
My sainted mother was just like you Fr. W, and she also loved red-eye gravy.  And she was from no where near the south.  She was born in Morningside, Sioux City, IA j ust like our president-elect and Pr. Chas. Austin.  Then she spent the rest of her life in Omaha.  Thankfully, she also loved pork chops and raised hogs before I was born. 
We consider your neck of the woods borderline south.

Team Hesse

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »
unity is not found in synodical structure or roster, but in confession.
That is not always true. There are those who essentially have said, "I know that you confess that you believe as I do, but since you change the meaning of words, you don't really confess the same thing I do."

I do agree with you Brian, there is the problem of semantics.  Words have meaning and, unfortunately, some folks use words in ways that can mislead.  It's tough to have unity when semantic problems keep cropping up.  I think finally unity is a work of the Holy Spirit.  He knows what he means, and we just have to trust that.
Lou

Team Hesse

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2010, 07:56:39 PM »
Lou,
My heartiest congratulations on your ordination.  And I have every intention of continuing to support your other vocation - for sausage, bacon, and ham are my three favorite meats!  :)

This means a lot to me, Pastor Weedon.  I have always admired pastors with a deep and thorough grasp of scriptures and the confessions.  If I could have a fraction of what I'm sure you have forgotten, I would be deeply blessed.
And thanks for the pork support also!
 :)  Lou

Weedon

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »
Now, Lou, that is too kind.  I don't know either the Scriptures or the Symbols nearly so well as I should.  But the joy of our calling is that we get to keep plugging away at them - and the joys keep coming!  Blessings upon you and your preaching, teaching, and administering of the Sacraments.  It is a delight indeed to have you as an Amtsbruder! 
William Weedon, Assistant Pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hamel IL
Catechist on LPR Podcast: The Word of the Lord Endures Forever
A Daily, Verse-by-Verse Bible Study with the Church, Past and Present
www.thewordendures.org

+Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Karl Hess

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2010, 11:06:35 PM »
I agree Lou.  I used to live in Seattle, so maybe next time I visit my mother in law in Oregon we'll make a trip out to where you're at (Spokane, right?)  God's blessing on your ministry.  (By the way, I wouldn't be so sure Missourians would have a problem with the way you came into the ministry.  And even if they did, they would rejoice over your orthodoxy and your present rightly ordered call.)

justified and sinner

• Broken people heal in Jesus & help others heal
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2010, 11:13:18 PM »
Huh???  I'm genuinely confused by your comments, Dan.  I've not encountered anything close to that. 

Will,

I have, including at the airport as I left Houston, and at the one reception i talked to you about.  The conversation in both places talked about everyone becoming like those talking, and no tolerance of any differences in practice.  At the airport - the conversation noted that there was nothing wrong with the focus on W&S, the difference between L&G, a difference in creedal or subscription ot the AC or AAC.  The difference was in the communication of that.

I will admit there is paranoia  - but there is also a cause for it.  The problem is - are these just the extremes - or the realities?
if you are really interested in my name - simply use the contact feature. 
If you are using the idea that I am anonymous because I use a nom de plume - get over it.

LCMS87

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2010, 11:14:16 PM »
A double amen to Pr. Hess' parenthetical comment.  

Faithful confession and the call of God's people lead me to rejoice that you are a brother in the holy ministry.

LutherMan

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2010, 11:20:21 PM »
Pr. Hesse,
My heart rejoices for your ministry.  Please give Deb my felicitations as well.

Can we come out for a pig roast with new potatoes, onions and corn on the cob?  Pretty please?
Churned butter would be nice.

Team Hesse

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2010, 11:35:47 PM »
I agree Lou.  I used to live in Seattle, so maybe next time I visit my mother in law in Oregon we'll make a trip out to where you're at (Spokane, right?)  God's blessing on your ministry.  (By the way, I wouldn't be so sure Missourians would have a problem with the way you came into the ministry.  And even if they did, they would rejoice over your orthodoxy and your present rightly ordered call.)

Many thanks for the kind remarks from the brothers. 
If anyone lets me know when they're coming, pork, corn on the cob, and new potatoes can possibly be on the menu.  Our county grows more potatoes and sweet corn than any other county in the nation, and though we don't churn our own butter, Deb has quite a reputation for really good homemade ice cream as Jim Nestingen can now attest.  He went home from the ordination with a cooler full of excessed roast hog from the ordination dinner,  and quite a bit of bacon.  He seemed genuinely pleased, if you know what I mean.

Where in Oregon is your mother in law, Karl?  Debbie and I grew up in Hillsboro, OR where her folks and a number of my relatives still reside.  We are now at Moses Lake, 120 miles west of Spokane on Interstate 90; our farm is 5 miles north of the freeway at exit 169 -- very easy to find.

Lou

LutherMan

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2010, 12:04:02 AM »
The ultra-purist corn and pork people in Nebraska always claim that our food is better than what is produced on the left coast is better have never proved that to me.  I grew up in Nebraska, yet I always enjoyed the left coast food in San Diego during the 25 years I lived there.   We must have gotten Pr. & Debbie Hesse's pork and corn at Vons   & Ralph's stores without knowing it was good Lutheran food.

That ice cream sounds good.

grabau14

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2010, 12:37:42 AM »
Congrats on the rite vocatus, Lou!  I grilled up some bacon cheeseburgers tonight in honor of your ordination.  I will continue to honor your ordination by having some ribs tomorrow night.  :D

Mel Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2010, 02:25:33 AM »

Welcome Lou.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2010, 04:39:21 AM »
As a native Iowan and an honest person, I am forced to admit that New Jersey sweet corn in August is as good as the Iowa crop. (And, sadly, this year, I shall miss most of it.)

LutherMan

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2010, 05:00:59 AM »
As a native Iowan and an honest person, I am forced to admit that New Jersey sweet corn in August is as good as the Iowa crop. (And, sadly, this year, I shall miss most of it.)
My Morningside born mother used to harvest the field-corn early enough and declared it good enough. 
We ate it, and enjoyed!

LutherMan

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2010, 05:26:17 AM »
Of course we used pure, sweet butter.  Mama had a real aversion to oleomargarine.  Something to do with the lard-looking color and dye packet that one was supposed to mix in circa WWII. 

Daddy thought bacon fat was an acceptable substitute, so I tried it and it was good.  Didn't even need salt!