Author Topic: Presidential Nominees Q&A  (Read 1680 times)

Jeremy Loesch

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Presidential Nominees Q&A
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:50:55 PM »
Hi everybody.  I had a chance to read the Qs and As of our five presidential nominees.  I thought they were very good.  This is perhaps a re-hash of an older thread, but in the other thread, we only had the responses from Pres. Kieschnick and Rev. Harrison.  I was pleased to read the responses of Pres. Mueller and Dr. Fickensher and Chap. Gard. 

And I fear I may have to go buy a new bumper sticker.  My present sticker says "Harrison 2010".  My new one will say "Gard 2010".  His answer about the health of our LCMS was very good:

"The Synod has great strengths in the many healthy parishes, where Word and Sacrament are found, and on its seminary campuses, where pastors are formed.  Nevertheless, we face serious challenges and divisions in doctrine and practice.  The president must lead calls (1) to repentance for our individual and corporate sin; (2) to prayerful, open, and serious theological reflection and dialogue through study of Scripture and the Confessions facilitated by our theological faculties; and (3) to a renewed focus on Word and Sacrament ministry.  We will then rediscover the riches of Lutheran theology rather than relying on programs and non-Lutheran sources.  Traditional Lutheran congregations, especially small ones, must be encouraged, not marginalized by an institutional emphasis on statistics.  More than ever, the Chruch on earth needs to pray, "Kyrie eleison!"

That is a marvelous answer that speaks to this non-delegate.  Corporate sin needs to be repented of just as much as individual sin.  We have the best theological faculties in Lutherandom and we should use them.  And, lift up the small congregations and celebrate what they can do by God's grace rather than telling them to get bigger.  The emophasis on statistics is disheartening.  I am glad for the stories in the Witness about the small congregations and their ministries but those stories sometimes seem to be overshadowed by the stories of the large congregations that are doing things in such a 'cutting edge' fashion and that their formula for doing things can be replicated fairly easily.

"Gard 2010!"

Anybody else have things they liked in the Q&A from our presidential nominees? 
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

revjagow

• Proverbs 9:8-9
    • View Profile
    • Article 7
Re: Presidential Nominees Q&A
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 12:59:47 PM »
Well, I thought that the person I would vote for if I were in Houston (Kieshnick) gave the best answers to the overall heath of the Synod and restructuring.  Those that feel that we do not have tremendous theological unity and that the BRTFSSG correctly identified some areas where we could streamline our operations will disagree. 

In general, I was disappointed because I don't think any of the answers given went into the kind of depth that would really tell you about the candidates and what they would do.  Nonetheless, there was one response that caught my attention. It came from Fickenscher on how the LCMS could "best reach out to people with the Good News of Jesus and testify to the truth of God’s Word:"

"Great question, because our mission field here at home—to say nothing of overseas—is more diverse than ever. The answer, I believe, is to motivate our diverse individuals—2.4 million of them—to witness to Christ Jesus in each of the (again, diverse) locations and vocations they occupy. I would distinguish between motivating and mobilizing this vast army. Mobilizing implies a programmatic approach. Motivating is done in each heart by the news shared Sunday after Sunday that Christ’s death and resurrection has given me eternal life— and that means also you and them. All of you and all of them. The heart moved by this saving Gospel moves voices and feet and hands to share the Savior in ways unique to wherever God has placed them."

The only thing I think I disagree with is that he only mentions mobilizing in a negative way.  I think that we could also mobilize Synod resources to support people sharing their faith once they are motivated to do so. 

I also hope people pay attention to what Matt Harrison wrote on the fiscal crisis, as I think he did the best in identifying one of the main issues:

"...we have virtually ceased funding what congregations care most about: (a) Sending pastors to plant churches overseas (Rom. 10:15). (b) Training pastors and church workers (Matt. 9:37ff.)."

FYI, folks can now read the Reporter Q & A and the recent Lutheran Witness articles here.  That is just to get you ready for what I am sure will be excellent ALPB reporting on the scene.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:38:45 PM »
The thing with the Q&A that I both like and dislike is that the Qs are the same for everyone which sort of means that the As are going to be in the same ballpark.  I'd like to see some Qs that are the same and then some individual Qs that allow us the opportunity to know some of the different facets of each candidate.

Pres. Kieschnick certainly can lay out the reasoning for the restructuring.  His answer was very good in that area.

Jeremy
(Gard 2010!)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 12:38:55 PM »
Allow me to make a prediction. No matter who wins the election, the signs of glee from the folks whose preferred candidate won will offend those whose candidate did not win. Know that in advance and react accordingly. If you truly want to offend someone, ask them to celebrate something when they're hurting about it. I watched the Packers lose to the Broncos in the Super Bowl, which was painful enough but, hey, part of football and what can you do. But I watched it with a bunch of Bears fans who had uncontainable delight in the outcome. Ugh. Even just a big grin or an especially chipper demeanor will potentially insulting to people who are down. Obviously we can all say that they shouldn't take it that way, but it is easy to be magnanimous when you win and hard to be magnanimous when you lose, so the winners should take it upon themselves to be magnanimous, and the way to do that is know what is likely to hurt and offend and try to avoid it. Not saying slumped shoulders and faux sadness. Be happy and say why you're happy, but realize that what you say implies something negative about the other candidate (e.g. "I'm excited that we have a mission-minded leader" implies the other guy was not, or "Isn't it great to a have a confessional theologian as president?" is a dig at the other guy in some eyes) and simply acknowledging that what you're celebrating someone else is grieving goes a long way to helping you figure out what is an appropriate thing to say. Of course, none of this would be an issue if we were drawing straws, but I digress....   

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 01:15:06 PM »
Of course, none of this would be an issue if we were drawing straws, but I digress....  

Peter,

I still think that I have a better idea - one that can be substituted for the current election process at the next convention.

We have nominations just like now. Then we prove our multiculturalism by having the five candidates play Russian Roulette. The twist here is that there are only four bullets in the revolver. One guy wins. Four lose. It is over with a bang.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 08:54:14 AM »
"Humble in victory, Gracious in defeat." 

Where have I seen those words before?  Oh yes...in Pederson Field House at seminary.  A good saying.  A hard saying.  An apt saying.  It is hard to live by regardless of age, status, or position.

I remember being an observer in 2004 and saw the various reactions of people in the convention center after the announcement that Pres. Kieschnick had won reelection.  I wonder if the reactions will be able to be seen or heard through the web viewing?

I suppose this is why we pray for the best outcome.

Jeremy